Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #21

Being in the Aviation world for the past 30 years, I can tell you that aerodynamics is not a "Yes it does work/No it doesn't work" kind of science. Many times, what works is not intuitive AT ALL... It all depends on your vehicle, as a whole, as to whether or not this wind deflector will provide you any benefit.

It especially depends on the area between where the deflector will be installed, and the front of your camper. It depends on the distance between the two... it depends on the height between the two... it depends on your door mirrors and how they affect the airflow... there are SO many variables.

If you happen to have the magic combination where things are just in the right place, then you could see improvements like Hollywood91 sees.

The only REAL way to know is to get your rig into a wind tunnel, where you can get some hard data... however, that would probably not be cost effective, LOL

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
Being in the Aviation world for the past 30 years, I can tell you that aerodynamics is not a "Yes it does work/No it doesn't work" kind of science. Many times, what works is not intuitive AT ALL... It all depends on your vehicle, as a whole, as to whether or not this wind deflector will provide you any benefit.

It especially depends on the area between where the deflector will be installed, and the front of your camper. It depends on the distance between the two... it depends on the height between the two... it depends on your door mirrors and how they affect the airflow... there are SO many variables.

If you happen to have the magic combination where things are just in the right place, then you could see improvements like Hollywood91 sees.

The only REAL way to know is to get your rig into a wind tunnel, where you can get some hard data... however, that would probably not be cost effective, LOL

Yea or short of a wind tunnel, bite the bullet and buy one and see if it's a waste of money or not. Logically, I don't see how it can hurt with my situation but, I'm not always logical, ha. Yea, I know what you mean in the aviation world. Winglets etc.. Even the C172 saw speed and stability improvement from the stol winglets.

Your comment on height was enlightening to me. I was thinking about distance from the deflector to the trailer, which I'm sure is also a factor, but having a fairly tall truck will help.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Yea or short of a wind tunnel, bite the bullet and buy one and see if it's a waste of money or not. Logically, I don't see how it can hurt with my situation but, I'm not always logical, ha. Yea, I know what you mean in the aviation world. Winglets etc.. Even the C172 saw speed and stability improvement from the stol winglets.

Your comment on height was enlightening to me. I was thinking about distance from the deflector to the trailer, which I'm sure is also a factor, but having a fairly tall truck will help.
Tall truck with bed cap, one with the upswept roofline in the rear, and no extra accessories like this needed..

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Tall truck with bed cap, one with the upswept roofline in the rear, and no extra accessories like this needed..
Yea, I think I'm going to build a prototype and use the front stake bed holes. It'll be a Rube Goldberg looking plywood contraption but it'll tell me what I want to know. If you guys see an old man with Louisiana license plates and a sheet of plywood sticking up behind his cab, somewhere between Lafayette and Wyoming, you'll know who it is. If it doesn't work, it'll be in the nearest truck stop dumpster, ha.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:58 AM   #25

Definitely need to post some pictures of that ,
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pastuzyn View Post
Definitely need to post some pictures of that ,
Yea, everybody needs a good laugh in these times, ha.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #27

Here's mine from 2007:

It was cool.

It was expensive.

It needed modifying to make it fit. But it was cool.

It did help reduce the bugs on the front of the fiver, but it didn't help the mileage. We got 11 with or without the wing.

But it was so cool!
Old 07-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
Here's mine from 2007:

It was cool.

It was expensive.

It needed modifying to make it fit. But it was cool.

It did help reduce the bugs on the front of the fiver, but it didn't help the mileage. We got 11 with or without the wing.

But it was so cool!
It was cool!. I'm surprised you saw no change in mileage. I guess I need to get off this kick.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #29

I can't see any of these 'devices' or 'wings' being actually very helpful if they don't:

- rise ABOVE the height of the camper you are towing

- have a close proximity to the camper

if air has 'time' to dip back 'down', then you've investing in something that does nothing

unless you just 'like' to look cooler than everyone else : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:58 PM   #30

Deflectors do work

I have a 2018 Acadia that tows a 2014 Palomini 142ck. I get at least 2-3 mpg better with my deflector mounted on the roof rack. Works great and chops through the wind easily, with little effect from passing trucks. Check out the youtube link:

palomini-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Thinking about trying one of these, has anyone had any experience with it and does it increase mpg. See attachment.

Website is https://www.icondirect.com/categorie...rs/AeroShield/

They work about as well as prayer or blowing out a birthday candle.

Sucker buy for folks that do not understand aerodynamics.

[ contemplate why a submarine has the flat end at the front and the pointy end at the back ]
Old 07-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #32

Actually.......

The "knobbiness" is not for turbulence, itself, but to replace laminar flow, which "drags" on the sub (or the golf ball) with turbulent flow, which does not.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #33

I just asked my husband as we have one we are selling. We used it when we still had our 5th wheel. He said it probably got us an extra
Mile or so per gallon and it cut down on the amount of bugs that ended up on the front of the camper.
Lep9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #34

Yes the good ones do

Major, check out Aeroplus, and the link on one of my replies. It is tested in a wind tunnel with full size vehicles. British made, and they have expensive fuel over there, so they're serious about solutions.
palomini-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #35

Makes a difference at speeeeeed.

But not at 65 mph.

There is a reason that trailing edges are sharp in subs, ford cobras, and SR-71's
Old 07-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #36

Not a trailer but you get the idea.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...183-mph-541481

Note the width of the wind shield and how close the rider is to it. The 1995 record holder could not go more than 2 ft behind the wind shield before the wind would grab them. The average trailer tongue is 3ft. Maybe for a 5er it would be better.

I agree with the Lockheed engineer, unless your reduce frontal area no real improvement. Other than slowing down I don't see it as cost effective and that is free to try. If you do try it let us know because you never know unless you try!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:59 PM   #37

I did it........lots of claims.......no evidence.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Not a trailer but you get the idea.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...183-mph-541481

Note the width of the wind shield and how close the rider is to it. The 1995 record holder could not go more than 2 ft behind the wind shield before the wind would grab them. The average trailer tongue is 3ft. Maybe for a 5er it would be better.

I agree with the Lockheed engineer, unless your reduce frontal area no real improvement. Other than slowing down I don't see it as cost effective and that is free to try. If you do try it let us know because you never know unless you try!

I can tell you positively slowing down will give better mileage. I can also tell you despite the obvious risk, I've tailgated 18 wheelers for a ways just to see and my lie-O-meter on my ram will go from 11 to 14 mpg. Got to get uncomfortably close but I'm an idiot.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:48 PM   #39

had a topper cap on my 5.5 bed. on a trip I left back window open for dogs to get air. towing my tt my mpg went up 40% just under 8 up to 11.5

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
had a topper cap on my 5.5 bed. on a trip I left back window open for dogs to get air. towing my tt my mpg went up 40% just under 8 up to 11.5
That's a great idea, wish I had a topper, I'd do that. Makes perfect sense, especially being so close to the camper.