Old 01-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #21
Grammar Pedant

Step 1: Read the manual. It will tell you what oil weight to use in temperature ranges. It will tell you when to plug in the engine block heater. It will tell you if or how long to idle. It even will mention additives.

Step 2: Read the manual. It will tell you what oil weight to use in temperature ranges. It will tell you when to plug in the engine block heater. It will tell you if or how long to idle. It even will mention additives.

Vehicle manuals are really a treasure of information. Lug nut torque ratings. Fuse diagrams. How to change a tire. Etc. It's all there.

Once you have done Steps 1 and 2, ask away.

Engine block heaters are one of the most misunderstood devices. Most truck manuals will list -15 to -20 F as the point at which an engine block heater needs to be used. My neighbor just got a used Ram diesel. He leaves it plugged in 24-7. It was mid-50s yesterday. Plugged in.

Same with anti-gel. Most areas already will have a winter blend of diesel at the pump with anti-gel additives already in it.

When you live in extreme cold conditions, it's likely that you'll want to use additional anti-gel additives and block heaters. If you're not in extreme cold and, instead, in just garden-variety cold (like where I live outside of Denver, CO), neither is probably necessary.

But, get familiar with the manual. Good stuff in there. Most are 700 pages long. At least a portion of that is worth the read.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:16 PM   #22

As a noob, what are the glow plugs and how do you know if they’re on or not
HappilyLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
I've always been curious about the cover for the front grille. My truck came with one and I have never used it. I like the inside of the truck to be as warm as possible so it would it be fine to put the cover on and leave it on all winter? Most of my commute is 2 miles one way to work 5-7 days a week.
YES, as I stated my cover is on from Nov to March. I have four flaps that I can close off depending on daytime ambient temps. I start to close these off around 5F for a daytime high otherwise the four flaps are open all of the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter front_1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	222071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter front.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	222072  
Old 01-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
Depending on what vehicle you have you may or may not have glow plugs! If you have a Cummins engine you have a grid heater. That is on top of the engine that the turbocharged air enters through to the combustion chambers. Now if you have a Ford/Chevy and or GMC or another diesel engine vehicle you will have glow plugs that heat the air for the combustion chamber.

Both of these system use the same wait to start resistance light that is displayed on the dash instrument cluster. It is temperature controlled so, it may not be displayed all of the time. For my truck if the ambient temps are around 65F the light will not be display. Also if the engine coolant tamps are warm the wait to start light may not illuminate either.
Hope this helps?
Old 01-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappilyLost View Post
Glow plugs are devices that are usually (in modern vehicles) devices that when activated heat up very quickly to aid in the combustion of diesel fuel when the engine is cold. Imagine a soldering iron tip getting red hot very quickly. Usually there is one glow plug per cylinder. Keep in mind that diesel fuel ignites by heat which usually done by high compression of fuel and air but sometimes when cold, diesels need a little extra boost in heat to get things going.

On my older diesel tractors (60's and 70's) we use a tiny bit of ether or on one tractor I have a glow plug like device that has a coil in it (looks like a spring) that gets red hot which then diesel fuel is injected onto igniting a small fire in the intake which then, while cranking, the heated air goes into the cylinders for assistance in starting.

Again speaking for modern engines (those that are computer controlled), if the glow plug(s) weren't working but being called upon by the auto's computer, it would throw a code and you'd probably get a CEL (check engine light).

Tags
diesel, winter