Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

wireing harness-electric brakes

Hello everyone, I am a new-bee and just finished having a hitch installed on my 2013 highlander. I am planning on buying a trailer after the first of the year,
most likely a 17 foot model, maybe an an r-pod, 177. I haven't ordered a wiring harness yet because I'm not sure about the electric brakes??? Can
anyone help who has gone through this?? Thanks Pam
barefoot14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I can't recommend a harness, as I would actually rather see you pay someone to have it done, as it isn't as easy as you think it should be.

If it didn't come factory pre-wired (factory tow package) it is a wiring headache. Toyota's typically need a module called a "modlite or coverta-lite" because they use the amber turn signals. The foreign cars typically do this, and it makes the trailer lights and brakes react weird if not installed.

This is what is normally needed.
Converters - Reese Towpower
Not saying it can't be done by a "shade tree mechanic", but it takes quite a while for even someone that does them everyday....
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Here is what you would need to wireinto the Highlander. It has the Modlite as part of the connector wiring...
Electrical Wiring - Tow Ready

Then you still need the brake controller wired in with the brake wire, power source, and the 7 way RV connector.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #4

Had my Toyota Tacoma fited at U-Haul with the wiring harness and the brake controller for $150.00. U-Haul installed the prodigy P2, which was what they had in stock at their store. The brake controller cost almost $100 itself, so almost a very good deal.
dfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
Site Team

your problem is that your Highlander doesn't have the factory tow package.
you'll have to duplicate it, which won't be cheap.

usually is Type III/IV hitch receiver, pre-wiring for brake controller, transmission cooler, 7-pin Bargman connector and towing rear end ratio.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #6

I paid the dealer a little extra and they made sure everything was hitched, wired and working correctly before I left.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Site Team

well, as far as the wiring for the brake controller, you need to find out from the dealer how they set up the wiring. will it be for a plug'n'play harness or splicing into regular wiring. the controller will already come with this type of harness.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #8

Pam: I upgraded a 2002 Tundra 4x4 which came without trailer package. Look at Etrailer site link:Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring by Tow Ready for 2013 Highlander - 118449 which describes the wiring harness for your 2013. You will also need Class III/IV receiver installed. Also 7way adapter and a Brake controller. The installation could be done by DIY but I recommend using a firm knowledgeable in such an upgrade. btw, you will require a WDH (weight distribution hitch) as well. Best of luck which ever way you go.
Prodigy P3, E2 WDH
rschoono289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes