Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2021, 09:35 PM   #1

Wolf Pup 16FQ Tow Vehicle Question

Hi, I am new to this forum and Travel Trailering. We are looking at purchasing a Wolf Pup 16FQ or Wolf Pup 16BHS. I am confused and looking for advice.
We have a Toyota Highlander with tow package and tow capability of 3500 lbs.
Based on everything I had read, I assumed that we had to limit ourselves to a trailer 2800 lbs or less (it's just 2 of us and we won't be carrying a ton of cargo). But 2 different dealers said our vehicle could handle the Wolf Pups, which have dry weight of 3078 (16BHS) and 3031 (16FQ).
That doesn't seem to square with what I have read. But we would really like to get either of these TT if our vehicle could tow it. Is it unreasonable to think that a vehicle with 3500 tow capacity could tow a vehicle with dry weight of ~3050 lbs?
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2021, 09:53 PM   #2

I am normally against the weight police, but if you check the sticker on driver side door. Then the rating of the hitch then you would probably be over both those numbers once loaded. Unless you salesman read the sticker on your door then looked at your hitch for rating. I doubt he or she had enough info to say yes or no on towing.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:33 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki Rowe View Post
Hi, I am new to this forum and Travel Trailering. We are looking at purchasing a Wolf Pup 16FQ or Wolf Pup 16BHS. I am confused and looking for advice.
We have a Toyota Highlander with tow package and tow capability of 3500 lbs.
Based on everything I had read, I assumed that we had to limit ourselves to a trailer 2800 lbs or less (it's just 2 of us and we won't be carrying a ton of cargo). But 2 different dealers said our vehicle could handle the Wolf Pups, which have dry weight of 3078 (16BHS) and 3031 (16FQ).
That doesn't seem to square with what I have read. But we would really like to get either of these TT if our vehicle could tow it. Is it unreasonable to think that a vehicle with 3500 tow capacity could tow a vehicle with dry weight of ~3050 lbs?
Thanks in advance!
You're making the #1 newbie mistake by using fictional dry weight numbers.
ESPECIALLY the dry tongue weights.
Unfortunately your Highlander's max hitch weight is 350lbs and both trailers fictional dry tongue weight numbers already exceed the 350lbs. And that's without any batteries, water, factory options and trailer cargo.
Plus the real world loaded weights of both trailers will exceed the 3500 number also.
Unfortunately your Highlander is going to be limited to popups and A-frames.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
REL

You will need a bigger tow vehicle for that camper. Salesman is selling.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

I have a Wolf Pup 16BHS. I started off with a Nissan Frontier 4x4 with tow package that listed as 5000 lb towing. It seemed to work fine so long as I stayed to the flat areas. Made a few trips around through the hills of NW Arkansas where we live. This was when I realized that the listed 5000 lb towing capacity was less than what I needed. The engine was really straining. I realized I needed more and traded for a Nissan Titan. That is my two sense worth.
JesseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:01 PM   #6

Never Believe The Dealer.

I tow a Wolf Pup with a Toyota Tacoma, V-6 4X4 with tow package. The truck is rated to tow 6500 lbs. Our trailer fully loaded (but no fresh water) weighs about 4100 lbs.
Personally, my rule of thumb is that the loaded trailer should not exceed 65% of the tow vehicle's rated capacity. Also, a hard-sided trailer is usually about 9 ft. tall. Air resistance is a real, but often overlooked consideration

With a Highlander, I think you would find a fold-down tent trailer or A-Liner type hardside to be much more comfortable to tow and easier on the life of the vehicle.
stsimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #7

To be honest I wish they would stop using tow capacity numbers. The cargo capacity and hitch capacity is what should be used for comparing tow vehicles. Too many times people get into trouble towing because some sales person says oh your truck/suv will tow it just fine using the tow capacity rating. You will get real world advice in here so thank you for asking.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #8

Salesmen only, if at all, look at and push trailers based on the basic tow ratings of a given TV.
Here is a BIG tip. Factory tow ratings have included in them or IOW, eat up your entire TV Load capacity minus a 150# driver and one 150# passenger. So if your chosen TT is at your TV towing capacity, you can’t carry crap in your truck for camping!
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
To be honest I wish they would stop using tow capacity numbers. The cargo capacity and hitch capacity is what should be used for comparing tow vehicles. Too many times people get into trouble towing because some sales person says oh your truck/suv will tow it just fine using the tow capacity rating. You will get real world advice in here so thank you for asking.
Totally agree.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 03-21-2021, 08:40 PM   #10

As an owner of a 16BHS Black Label, 5000# tow capacity, 1200# payload, Class 3 hitch, and a tow/haul mode are critical minimums.

I'm afraid you'll be white knuckling it on any day that isn't traffic free and wind free.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #11

Hi I have a 2020- 16 fq Patriot (wolf pup). I pull it with a 2009 Ranger Sport with the tow package ( 5600 lbs) I installed an engine oil cooler ,4:11 rear gears and air bags on the truck for my previous toy hauler.I carry a 9ft alum. boat / oars - trolling motor and battery plus an offset trailer spare tire on the back bumper (just under 250 lbs.total) Wind and steep hills slow me down.I use a curt sway control. In a light wind and moderate hills I can run at the posted speed limit.If I need a little extra power I push the overdrive button into the off position and run at 60 mph and 3000 rpm. Food for thought Rob
rjb16fq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki Rowe View Post
Is it unreasonable to think that a vehicle with 3500 tow capacity could tow a vehicle with dry weight of ~3050 lbs?
Thanks in advance!
In a word...yes. Max tow rating is the most useless, meaningless and irrelevant number in the RV world. It is based on two 150 lb people, a 70 lb hitch and a 10 percent tongue weight. And it's done by professional drivers. Its comparison to real world driving and towing is nonexistent. The reason it's based on 10 percent tongue weight is because manufacturers rate their max hitch weight at 10 percent of max tow weight. And virtually no travel trailer has a tongue weight that low. Your fictional dry weight of 3050 lbs will be hundreds of pounds higher once you add a battery, propane, gear and personal effects. And your tongue weight will be closer to 13 or 14 percent. Even at 3500 lbs loaded, which is on the low side, your tongue weight will be 455 lbs at 13 percent, which greatly exceeds your 350 max hitch weight. And this is the dirty secret that unknowledgeable and/or unethical salesmen won't tell you. You might not exceed the max tow weight, but you'll be way over your max hitch weight and very possibly your payload capacity.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #13

Can I safely pull a 2015 wolf pup 16FQ with a Ford Explorer or Expedation?
Texp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texp View Post
Can I safely pull a 2015 wolf pup 16FQ with a Ford Explorer or Expedation?
Short answer, yes.
However, what model years and engine?
Any Expedition, yes.
Most explorers, yes.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Short answer, yes.

However, what model years and engine?

Any Expedition, yes.

Most explorers, yes.
IMHO, Expeditions YES.
Explorers, maybe not.
This trailer has a fictional dry tongue weight of 444lbs, before adding batteries, water, factory options, dealer add-ons and cargo. Most Explorers have a max hitch weight of 500lbs, which this trailer will easily exceed that amount when loaded for camping.
Old 11-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #16

My Two cents....

Just returned from a 2 month trip. Central Florida to Tennessee and back. Trailer is Wolf Pup 16BHS; TV is an AWD Toyota Sienna with load-leveling, anti sway hitch and Bluetooth brake controller. Handled driving over the Great Smokies and doesn't sway in crosswinds or passing tracker trailers!! I keep my speed between 60-65 and my MPG hovered around 13. Rig was set up by our local trailer pro. Very happy! ...Alan (Buhpa)
Buhpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:28 AM   #17

I had bought a 2021 16fq and was planning on towing it with a ford escape that also was set up for 3500 lbs. Towing capacity. I used that vehicle to tow the trailer home and it worked hard. For fear of our safety and wear and tear on the vehicle, I purchased a 2013 Ford f150 prior to our maiden voyage. We have towed 4000 miles this year and we are very happy with our decision. I cannot imagine how it would have been with the escape.
Tsmith3605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #18

Can you tow it with your Highlander? Yes. Safely? Yes, with a properly set up WDH. Will you be over the book numbers? Yes. Which means your Highlander will likely be straining.

Consider how much power your Highlander has to put out to only get 12mpg (which is likely the best you will see without a tailwind). Are you willing to ride your Highlander that hard for hours on end, and monitor for any ill effects from heat build up? Are you willing to change your engine and transmission oil and coolant at more frequent intervals?

Instead of the dry weight, use the max gross weight of the trailer against the tow capacity of your vehicle as a starting point.

Towing with under-sized tow vehicles is done every day. That does not make it comfortable, safe, or a good practice. But reality is that vehicles with 3500# tow capacity vary all over the place with how well they will tow at the limits. Gearing matters a lot. My previous 2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan did just fine with a 2800lb (camping weight) A-frame. It was straining towing a 3000# A-frame that was 7 inches taller (extra wind resistance made all the difference). My 2022 Kia Carnival minivan does just fine with the larger A-frame - gas mileage went from 13 to 17 mpg. Nissan Frontiers have a reputation as poor tow vehicles.

just my experiences
Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2022 Kia Carnival minivan
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle, wolf pup