RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #1

Won't be going anywhere for a while

I currently have reservations at two (2) parks, High Falls State Park/Georgia April 5-7, and Jellystone Park/Florida Memorial weekend. But, it appears that I will not be going anywhere for some time due to a reckless, red light running (by his own admission at the scene to the police), non-paying attention, possibly texting driver.

His new Ford F-150 hit my GMC Sierra 1500 directly between the back of my left front tire and the firewall this past Wednesday. All I remember was the noise and then sitting in my girlfriends car with the EMT's talking to me. Come to find out that was about a forty-five (45) gap there and the EMT's were trying to get me to go to the ER to be checked. Sweet thing talked me into it and yep, I have a concussion and the left side of all my head bones hurt. The left side of the forehead bone (?) and my cheek bone are purple like an eggplant. Well think about it, my drivers side window hit me in the left side of the head at about 50+ MPH the way it was described to me later.

Somehow I asked the police to have my truck towed to a friends body shop and then I found out Friday that his shop had literally been wiped off the map from the January 22 tornado we had in Albany, Ga. I went to get some personal stuff from the truck and was told I had to have a letter from the police department to retrieve my personal property but my friend let me get my stuff. He also informed me that he had to transport my truck to another body shop as his business was no longer operational. We agreed on another reputable shop and he was to move it for me. He did inform me that his visual examination of my truck was not good for me.

The impact broke the left front wheel off at the top, possibly just a ball joint (due they have these anymore?) or a broken upper A-frame. The real problem will be IF the firewall is bent or not. IF it is bent--then total the truck out. IF not totaled then my friend says he would be looking at a minimum of six (6) weeks to eight (8) weeks to get my truck ready. This will not fit within my camping reservations schedule. The Georgia State Park will allow me to change the dates under these circumstances but the Florida park has an absolute NO cancellation/NO change the date policy and I have been told by campers that they are strict.

My girlfriend did call my insurance agent to report the wreck and to ask what should I do at this point. Here's another: I/ME have to go to the local police department to get an accident report. I have to show photo I.D. to prove I am the registered driver to get the report. Now, what IF I could not go due to injuries? I would have to have a statement signed authorizing another person to retrieve this accident report for me. All these people complaining about having to show photo I.D. to vote but you have to have one to get an accident report? Go figure. So in the meantime I have to go to my agent and discuss (?) how to get me a rental car being as I am out of wheels at this time.

Hmm, actually I need a pick up truck as I have a "Household HandyMan" type business and cannot do a couple of jobs I have scheduled. And, my body shop friend did tell me not to be surprised when the other party's insurance makes me an offer on the "IF" totaled truck of about 30%-35% of the trucks loan value. That will NOT be acceptable. Yes, I do some really good "stick-it-to-em" attorney's in this town and will not hesitate to use them.

Bottom line: I'm not broken anywhere and not in the hospital. Do you know the feeling when you're home and need to run down to the store but have NO wheels? It's a bummer. Hmmm, maybe I can talk sweet-thing into camping out in the back yard
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

Rent truck, charge it to at fault insurance company, then go ahead and go camping if you feel like it. Pull trailer with rented truck.

I doubt they complain since you have a pretty good injury settlement coming from them.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post
Rent truck, charge it to at fault insurance company, then go ahead and go camping if you feel like it. Pull trailer with rented truck.

I doubt they complain since you have a pretty good injury settlement coming from them.
X2
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #4

BTW, what year is your truck and do you have pictures of it to post?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #5

FirsT it should be the at faults drivers ins provides the rental. Next would be loss of use to be added if you use the vehicle for business on top of any jobs you lost because of not having your vehicle.
First thing is to start looking at actual replacement costs of your vehicle. Yes they may try to lowball you but make sure to find like trucks with like miles and equipment. Don't forget they have to cover sales tax title and plates if your plates can't be transferred.
Thanks to the Internet you can pull up dealer adds with asking prices right infront of their ins person
I have had 2 in recent years
One on my scooter where they ended up giving me more then what I paid and the equipment that was installed because the modle I had was in demand and very hard to find and that was their offer

The other when a truck was total loss at first they offered less then half of kbb trade value that one took a little bit of work but they did end up paying for what the replacement was on the dealer lots
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
D W

Sorry to hear of your accident. Now is the time to rely on the Insurance. We all pay for it, but hope we never have to use it. By your post you seem agitated. That is symptomatic of a concussion. The last place you should be for the next 30 days is behind the wheel. Only rest and relaxation will heal your injury.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post

I'm glad no serious injuries occurred out of this accident, but I don't think any rental agency will rent you a truck to pull a camping trailer. They don't want the liability and possible damage to it. Worth checking though.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
Boxer

Get the lawyers let them work it out
NED AND SHARON HOLCOMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #9

It would be interesting to know how bad the aluminum body Ford held up. I saw a new F150 after it slid into a ditch and wrapped itself around a tree at 50 mph as per the police report, and the only thing left that you could tell what it was, was the tail gate and that was bent in half.
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #10

X2 on taxes etc. missed that on our totaled vehicle, fortunately insurance agent caught it. Sales folks transfer veterans tag over for me. My insurance company suggests that you remove license plate from vehicle that may be totaled whether you plan on using it or not.
Days camped in FR, 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15 = 52
16 = 77, 17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 45 schedule
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #11

The police report is public record, and no ID should be required. Anyone can pick that report up, and they (PD) will charge you, or whomever, maybe 20 cents a page.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
The police report is public record, and no ID should be required. Anyone can pick that report up, and they (PD) will charge you, or whomever, maybe 20 cents a page.
True, but if you are not a "person of interest" in the report much of the information will be redacted. I've never had to pay for a Police Report, but I have had to establish my identity to an Officer at the station.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #13
Scratchin' the surface

Darn, Thurman. Sorry to hear about your prime mover. I'm glad to see you survived it. I see some good advice others have shared so I'll get my hands off the keyboard and hope I meet you on the trail.
Scratch4885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
True, but if you are not a "person of interest" in the report much of the information will be redacted. I've never had to pay for a Police Report, but I have had to establish my identity to an Officer at the station.

Here in Fl the "Persons of interest" is for 60 days. Beyond that the reports will be released upon request as public record.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #15
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by No more shoveling View Post
It would be interesting to know how bad the aluminum body Ford held up. I saw a new F150 after it slid into a ditch and wrapped itself around a tree at 50 mph as per the police report, and the only thing left that you could tell what it was, was the tail gate and that was bent in half.
Hmm that is interesting. With the only across the board 5 Star rating of any half ton.
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #16

Generally a hit that hard will bend the frame and that will total it. Tell them you HAVE to have a truck to tow with ~~ your job. Indicate you would rather work than sit at home and they pay you for lost work. That will give them more incentive especially when it may amount to an additional 8 weeks. That along with pain and suffering could mean a brand new truck.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:32 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

I know this may be the least of your worries right now but you stated in your post

"but the Florida park has an absolute NO cancellation/NO change the date policy and I have been told by campers that they are strict."

How much do you want to bet if you absolutely cannot make it, they will give your lot to someone else on top of keeping your money?
And being that you already notified them of your situation they will open your site immediately. Nothing like double dipping.

Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #18

Here's what I would do if the Insurance company comes up with a low ball estimate. I would tell them to go and fined another truck with comparable miles and a color you like with options your truck had on it and one that your mechanic approves that is in good shape. Let's see what they say. Next I would tell them you want a truck to rent since your truck was wrecked not a car but your truck. Thanks. Glad you are feeling much better.
tcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #19

I'm glad you are ok, and healing. Trucks can be replaced, and there isn't much for sentimental value on a used vehicle. A planned trip can be rescheduled. If the camp place in Florida gives you a hard time about it, show them your police report. If they play hard, give us their name and contact info. Maybe we can help them to realize they are being short sided with your situation.

If you were to hire an injury lawyer, the 1st thing they will explore is what is the at fault partys' policy limit. They will file on your behalf for that amount. Unknown if your state would allow for legal fees beyond that but expect 40%-ish? If your damages exceed their coverage, and you have medical bills, losses, that is where uninsured motorist coverage on your policy kicks in. Ask your agent for inside help when deciding which route you go. Any losses beyond coverage would only get recovered in a civil suit, against the other driver. If he was cited for any violations, get copies of that also, for your records. Pain and suffering is real, the insurance industry knows this and will be prepared for a settlement on that too. Don't look to get rich, but don't settle for what they offer, as they will low ball you, and look to see desperation in your communication. That is an advantage to them, so be tough even if you go it alone.

Good things take time, great things take longer.
Glad you are alive to tell the story.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #20

Last accident I was involved in I got a free copy from a local ambulance chaser.

Get a rental truck, go some place and relax a little.