Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #41

So much for reading all the posts before writing one.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #42

That should have good payload because it’s not a loaded trim package. Congrats
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #43

Consider this: The CARFAX doesn't provide very much information at all. "Structural Damage" in this case is almost assuredly frame damage. Sheet metal doesn't constitute structural on the rear of a pickup.

The CARFAX report doesn't say how much the repair cost was. Granted, some parts are ridiculously priced - as someone mentioned LED headlights are absurd - but would you be more reluctant to buy a truck that had $15,000 worth of damage or one that had $5,000 in repairs?

Presuming frame damage - was it straightened, or was the entire frame replaced?

As far as "certified pre-owned" vehicles, I know of no manufacturer's CPO program that excludes vehicles simply because they were in an accident, with or without frame/unibody damage.

Worse, this truck came from Texas. Some states have laws that say that if the cost of repair is XX% (usually 75%) of the retail value the insurer must declare the vehicle a total loss.

That's not the case in Texas - they have no mandatory threshold. In Texas, it's pretty much left to the insurance company, and most of them use a formula that considers the salvage value subtracted from the retail value weighed against the cost of repair. In essence, if a vehicle has a high salvage value the cost of repair could easily exceed 80% - 85% of the value.

Another thing that should be considered is how long after the accident - both in time and in miles - the vehicle was traded. On a big hit you can figure the repair took as long as a month - or maybe even longer if the vehicle is a new body style (parts aren't as readily available).

While it's possible that some wealthy person bought this truck and is the type of person that doesn't want to drive anything that had previous damage.

It's more likely, however, that the damage was fairly severe and either there were problems after the repair or the owner simply didn't feel safe. I can't read the MSRP on the window sticker that was posted, but how many people can afford to buy a $60k truck and then just turn around and dump it 14 months later?

Based on the asking price posted by the OP, an educated guess is that he was only given about $30K for trade. That at least a $25,000 hit - after only 14 months - who on this forum can take a loss like that in a year?

If you're considering buying a vehicle that the CARFAX says was damaged, take a look at the service history. If the damage is "bracketed" by a service history at a single dealer and the dealer has a body shop there's a good chance that it was fixed there - you might be able to get some information from the body shop so that you can make a more informed decision.

If the accident is brackets by service at a dealership that doesn't have a body shop you can call the dealer and ask them where you should go if you had an accident and then call the body shop that they send their customers to.

Something to consider if YOU have an accident … another poster mentioned the "loss of value". If the accident is someone else's fault you can (and in most cases SHOULD) collect for the lost value from their insurance company by filing a claim for "diminished value" - the loss of value can be several thousand dollars.

For the record, the information above is based on my professional experience - this is what I've done for a living for the past 15+ years - prior to that I was somewhat hand-on in the automotive industry (mostly auto body) for 25 years.

If anyone has any questions about buying a vehicle that has had damage, or if you've been involved in an accident feel free to send me a PM and I'll try to help you.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
A very nice truck popped up this morning on my radar. Fits all my needs and wants. I saw the price and got excited. Then I saw the Carfax with a reported accident. Now I know why the price is $10k below what I have been seeing. Would love to buy it because it is exactly what I want. I would like to get your thoughts on whether to proceed, and if so, what precautions to take (warranty, inspection, price).

So, here are the details:

They are asking $37,881.

CARFAX One-Owner. 10,815 miles. Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat 2017 Ford F-250SD XLT 4WD TorqShift 6-Speed Automatic Power Stroke 6.7L V8 DI 32V OHV Turbodiesel 2017 Ford F-250SD XLT in Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat, 4WD, 6.7L TURBO DIESEL, FX4 OFF ROAD, 4X4, NAVIGATION, CLOTH HEATED SEATS, SYNC 3, REAR CAMERA, CREW CAB TRUCK, 4WD.

Fuel Type: Diesel
Exterior Color: Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
Interior Color: Medium Earth Gray
Stock: K3026A
Drivetrain: 4WD
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic
Engine: 6.7L V8 32V DDI OHV Turbo Diesel
VIN: 1FT7W2BTXHEE62645
Mileage: 10,815

Here's the CarFax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...7W2BTXHEE62645

Link to window sticker: http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....7W2BTXHEE62645

IF, It was properly repaired, it may be as good as New ???
I would Not buy it because it is RED !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:31 AM   #45

I have a 2002 Chev 2500HD with a Duramax 4x4 that was branded when I bought it 13 years ago. It has 264000 KLM on it and had no problems with body or structural issues, but do due diligence who fixed it. I have bought 3 other vehichles since then and saved a lot of money.
fenellasabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #46

Quote:
OP here

I bought this one instead:

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Work Truck Crew Cab 4WD 53,000 miles

Cool, looks like a 6.0 gasser.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
So much for reading all the posts before writing one.
I edited the first post with the updated information so hopefully people will see it before posting.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #48

It's sort of irrelevant that the truck sold before you could even look at it and you bought a different truck. The thread title asks a pertinent question that can apply to anyone, and there are some helpful responses that can/will apply to others. Anytime someone has a question, they will google it and get links to threads like this, or maybe it's a question about how to change the alternator on a 1995 Civic, either way, you find an old thread with good info and go on your way.

If only people would google gas vs diesel before creating a new post.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Cool, looks like a 6.0 gasser.
Affirmative.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #50

As Hersbird said, this type of post can be beneficial for years to come for anyone that is facing a similar situation.

I fully understood that it was sold, but thought I would post a reply because this is part of what I do for a living.

Can you get lucky and buy a branded title vehicle and drive it forever? Sure, but there are a lot of things to consider before forking over half a year's salary.

It could have been fixed by someone who knows what they're doing and did it right, or it could have been done by a "flipper" who used cheap imitation/aftermarket parts and only fixed what you can see and cut every possible corner.

Just because the paint is shiny and the color matches it doesn't mean the underlying components have been repaired correctly.
PatrickY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
It's sort of irrelevant that the truck sold before you could even look at it and you bought a different truck. The thread title asks a pertinent question that can apply to anyone, and there are some helpful responses that can/will apply to others. Anytime someone has a question, they will google it and get links to threads like this, or maybe it's a question about how to change the alternator on a 1995 Civic, either way, you find an old thread with good info and go on your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickY View Post
As Hersbird said, this type of post can be beneficial for years to come for anyone that is facing a similar situation.

I fully understood that it was sold, but thought I would post a reply because this is part of what I do for a living.
I agree and that's why the thread remains open. I just wanted people to know before they try to offer advice or ask questions about that specific truck that was posted and then having 5 more people reply that it was already sold.

Offering general advice or anecdotal opinions about the subject matter is perfectly fine and sort of what this place is for.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:18 PM   #52

Quote:
UPDATE #1: Truck has already been sold.

UPDATE #2: Different truck has been purchased.

A very nice truck popped up this morning on my radar. Fits all my needs and wants. I saw the price and got excited. Then I saw the Carfax with a reported accident. Now I know why the price is $10k below what I have been seeing. Would love to buy it because it is exactly what I want. I would like to get your thoughts on whether to proceed, and if so, what precautions to take (warranty, inspection, price).

So, here are the details:

They are asking $37,881.

CARFAX One-Owner. 10,815 miles. Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat 2017 Ford F-250SD XLT 4WD TorqShift 6-Speed Automatic Power Stroke 6.7L V8 DI 32V OHV Turbodiesel 2017 Ford F-250SD XLT in Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat, 4WD, 6.7L TURBO DIESEL, FX4 OFF ROAD, 4X4, NAVIGATION, CLOTH HEATED SEATS, SYNC 3, REAR CAMERA, CREW CAB TRUCK, 4WD.

Fuel Type: Diesel
Exterior Color: Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat
Interior Color: Medium Earth Gray
Stock: K3026A
Drivetrain: 4WD
Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic
Engine: 6.7L V8 32V DDI OHV Turbo Diesel
VIN: 1FT7W2BTXHEE62645
Mileage: 10,815

Here's the CarFax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...7W2BTXHEE62645

Link to window sticker: http://www.windowsticker.forddirect....7W2BTXHEE62645

If it really is the truck you want and all else checks out, ask them for an extended warranty included in the price of the truck.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #53

I know OP found a truck so just answering the question of whether or not to buy a repaired vehicle.

An experienced mechanic or body shop can look at any repairs and determine if they were done properly or not. Other than the carfax report turning off some people and possibly affecting the resale value, there is no reason to pass on a damaged vehicle that has been confirmed to be repaired properly. Visual inspections along with an alignment inspection would tell an experienced mechanic if the repairs were done properly or not.

Whether or not to buy a used vehicle in general is a different question and those little problems that can come with purchasing a used vehicle are much more of a mystery that repairs of mechanical damage.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #54

Won't ever buy a salvage car again

I once got a "good price " on a salvage car. Then someone drove into me. I had it repaired and by then had moved on to preferring a truck so I sold the car. The guy I sold this to had a better mechanic than I had and he found a hairline crack in in the transmission housing. Insurance paid for it but if they had found that before the repair they would have totaled the car. More than $3000 as I recall from 20 years ago.

Bottom line is that I don't buy salvage cars anymore.
jcschultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschultz01 View Post
I once got a "good price " on a salvage car. Then someone drove into me. I had it repaired and by then had moved on to preferring a truck so I sold the car. The guy I sold this to had a better mechanic than I had and he found a hairline crack in in the transmission housing. Insurance paid for it but if they had found that before the repair they would have totaled the car. More than $3000 as I recall from 20 years ago.

Bottom line is that I don't buy salvage cars anymore.

That wasn't the question.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:10 PM   #56
Yukon_Bill

Overcome by events
Yukonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #57

Red truck

Look at the truck personally. When you inspect it pay particular attention to the seams around the doors. Make sure they are straight from top to bottom. If not be wary. Stand in front of the truck and look down the sides to see if it appears straight. If not good chance frame was damaged. If this is good take it to a mechanic you know personally to inspect it. Also take to a frame shop and get them to check it out. If it comes through ALL of this it is probably ok. Good luck.
dmayo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:19 PM   #58

Carfax

I was hit in my two week old Ram while stopped at an intersection. The damage had barely bent my front bumper and front fascia. The person at fault had great insurance and all was repaired quickly.

A few years later on, when I had over 150k miles on my Ram and wanted a newer Ram with the 8 speed tranny and lower gear ratios for pulling my TT, the dealer ran a Carfax check and told me that my trade-in truck had seen major collision repairs with air bag deployment! That never happened!!

I am sure it was an insurance scam by the repair shop, so you just really never know what the Carfax history really is.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #59

I understand the OP has resolved his question, but for anyone reading this that is still on the fence I will offer our experience. Last year we bought a TT that turned out to be a little too much for our Tundra so I started researching for a new one. I came across a 2018 Ram 3500 that had a branded title (due to water damage, no water in the engine) with 3300 miles on it and was easily $15k lower than anything else I was looking at. I started a conversation with them as to the damage, any repairs made, spoke to my insurance about coverage and went to look at it. Drove like a beast, inspection showed nothing to worry about, they gave us a great trade value on our Tundra and we negotiated in a 5 year 100,000 full coverage warranty. The only thing we've discovered since then is one of the pins on the trailer connection doesn't work and needs to be fixed (under the warranty). We don't drive it much since it's primarily a TV, but we love it and it tows our TT like a champ. Time will tell, but for us it's been positive so far. The company we bought from specializes in branded titles so they know what they're doing.
Gojurick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojurick View Post
I understand the OP has resolved his question, but for anyone reading this that is still on the fence I will offer our experience. Last year we bought a TT that turned out to be a little too much for our Tundra so I started researching for a new one. I came across a 2018 Ram 3500 that had a branded title (due to water damage, no water in the engine) with 3300 miles on it and was easily $15k lower than anything else I was looking at. I started a conversation with them as to the damage, any repairs made, spoke to my insurance about coverage and went to look at it. Drove like a beast, inspection showed nothing to worry about, they gave us a great trade value on our Tundra and we negotiated in a 5 year 100,000 full coverage warranty. The only thing we've discovered since then is one of the pins on the trailer connection doesn't work and needs to be fixed (under the warranty). We don't drive it much since it's primarily a TV, but we love it and it tows our TT like a champ. Time will tell, but for us it's been positive so far. The company we bought from specializes in branded titles so they know what they're doing.
The question was whether or not you would purchase a vehicle that had body damage repaired, not if you would but a salvage title vehicle.

Being a mechanic, I would not buy a vehicle that was flooded unless it was a toy only and I got it real cheap. Meaning a 4x4 that I wanted to modify for offroading only. But I would buy a car that had body or frame damage if repaired correctly.

Tags
accident, truck