Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Dash cams in both my vehicles to document stupid driving!

I wonder if a dash cam can be used against you in an accident or even other situations? Can a cop search your vehicle and grab it? Just curious if there’s any negative to having one?
deepseadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #62
Trailer Park Supervisor

deepseadan, yes it can also be used against you. Interesting question about can it be seized. Yes, if the crash is also considered a crime, it could be seized as evidence and a warrant obtained to view relevant footage. Less likely if it is a crash not considered to be a crime. The owner of the camera would have to give consent. In this case, since there is no probable cause a crime occurred, a judge would not approve a warrant. Depending on the kind of driver you are will determine whether a camera would be more likely to benefit you, or the other guy. Since my driving has improved over many years, and I'm not going to be tearing around towing a trailer, the camera would be much more likely to benefit me than hurt me.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
Glad to hear that everyone is ok. After reading all of these posts, and having just returned from a trip to Florida and back (no TT this time, just the Sierra) I will be buying a dash cam. (Kris, thanks for the link) I'm still amazed at how recklessly some people drive at 75+ mph. We had one guy pulling a utility trailer three or four cars ahead of us blow a tire on the trailer. Now this was a small trailer with what looked like a garden tractor on it, with (I'm pretty sure) 10" tires. I saw the car in front of us throw what I thought was a piece of an 18 wheeler's retread up in the air. It turned out to be the whole tire. Somehow the guy managed to stay on the road and get across three lanes into the breakdown lane on that little steel rim. Lucky he didn't kill someone at that speed. Makes you wonder though, What the h*** was he thinking????? 75 mph! All this not to mention the idiots that cut across in front of, and behind you, with a couple of feet between vehicles well over the posted speed limit.
Sounds like his garden tractor was sitting on a $250 Harbor Freight trailer.
Those little 10" Chinese tires are not made for that speed or weight.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #64

I think after reading all these replies that I'll be putting a dash cam and an air horn in my truck.... Glad everyone survived basically unscathed....
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #65

I bought one at Job Lot. $16.00.seems to work fine.
Jjmcgowan036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #66

air horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Guy View Post
I think after reading all these replies that I'll be putting a dash cam and an air horn in my truck.... Glad everyone survived basically unscathed....

Speaking of air horns, has anyone ever mounted an air (or electric) horn on the rear of a vehicle? I have considered doing this to maybe scare the crap out of that guy who gets so close to your rear end you can't see the front of his car. Wonder if it's legal.... That might avoid some crashes.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan View Post
I wonder if a dash cam can be used against you in an accident or even other situations? Can a cop search your vehicle and grab it? Just curious if there’s any negative to having one?
unless it was used in the commission of a crime ,in short the answer is no,imo but I am not a lawyer and would consult one for legal advise
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
Speaking of air horns, has anyone ever mounted an air (or electric) horn on the rear of a vehicle? I have considered doing this to maybe scare the crap out of that guy who gets so close to your rear end you can't see the front of his car. Wonder if it's legal.... That might avoid some crashes.
There are a lot of You Tube videos of air horn pranks, unnecessary use of the horn could get you in trouble if the startled driver loses control or instigates road rage.
Unnecessary use of a horn is illegal in California.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #69

Similar Experience

About 13 years ago we had nearly the exact same experience. Leaving a village in Upstate New York, as we crested a rise at the edge of town, we encountered a minivan in our lane, coming at us!. All survived - lady was coming from a golf game (it was about noon), and "dozed off". I went for a small ditch on the right, she sideswiped the rig. Totaled all 3 vehicles. Be ready with your best defensive moves all the time. Stuff happens!
JerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangrega33 View Post
Glad you guys are all okay. How is the insurance? Is it being easy to deal with or is it like pulling teeth? Is it replacing belongings lost or damaged in the TT too? Just curious.
Thanks for your concern. Insurance is interesting. The other guy has a policy limit of $25k - the minimum amount allowed in SC. My insurance company is stepping in and handling the insurance claim as a result. This caused has caused a delay in determining the damages and the resulting insurance reimbursement. The other guy's insurance company determined that both the TT & TV were totaled. I'm waiting to see if my insurance company comes to the same conclusion.

Surprisingly, we lost very little belongings. We went back the following day to the TT and were able to recover almost everything. We have a list for the insurance company of the unrecoverable items but it's not a long list.
sjohnstoncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I am guessing there is different Department of Homeland Security legislation that allows federal agents to search and seize within a border zone. The BP checkpoints north of the border are an example of that.
These laws don't apply when outside of the border zone. Legislation in Nevada is currently being considered that will allow leo's to search your phone after any crash.
As someone pointed out, a fatal crash will result in a search warrant for your cell phone activity.

It depends that even if the person was on the phone is if you can see the call. If it is two iPhones and they are FaceTime each other by audio the call will not show up. In North Carolina if someone causes a accident and they are underinsured with the minimum amount of insurance then you better hope your insurance will cover the accident. Just for that I carry more insurance than I think I’ll ever need. We have a few people that have no insurance, more tan a few.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnstoncpa View Post
Thanks for your concern. Insurance is interesting. The other guy has a policy limit of $25k - the minimum amount allowed in SC. My insurance company is stepping in and handling the insurance claim as a result. This caused has caused a delay in determining the damages and the resulting insurance reimbursement. The other guy's insurance company determined that both the TT & TV were totaled. I'm waiting to see if my insurance company comes to the same conclusion.

Surprisingly, we lost very little belongings. We went back the following day to the TT and were able to recover almost everything. We have a list for the insurance company of the unrecoverable items but it's not a long list.

Just curious but do you mind telling how much insurance you carry on your vehicle for underinsured motorists
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Just wondering why they totaled your truck. Other than the bumper, it looks OK.
The frame of the truck was racked by the accident.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk5fe View Post
Wow.... that scene is just sickening but so thankful you guys are all ok.
What park was that you were coming from? We just got back from Charleston County Park and the roads going to it are just like you described. Small two lane with hardly any shoulder that doesn’t have trees right up against the road almost. And very heavily traveled with trucks of all sizes. I was very nervous when we pulled out until I got past that area.
We stayed at Oak Plantation. It was really nice! We want to try Charleston County Park when we get a new TT.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
You as well as the other driver had an angel as your co-pilot, just as my wife and I had with us in our accident with an 18 wheeler on a narrow bridge.
Oh wow! I'm glad you are okay. Our experience was a cakewalk compared to yours! Is it me or is traffic getting more dangerous?
Old 03-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmcgowan036 View Post
Scary stuff. That thing didn’t have airbags. You saved HIS life. Why was your truck totaled ? Frame ?
His truck did have airbags - I saw the one on the driver's side that deployed.

The frame of the truck was racked.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Just curious but do you mind telling how much insurance you carry on your vehicle for underinsured motorists
On the truck, it's $100k.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #78

I was living up north for a few years. One winter, a car saw a truck loose control on an icy patch and head straight for them in their lane. It was a two lane highway between two towns. The car was going slow enough and had enough distance to pull over to the skimpy shoulder. A ditch, rocks, and trees didn't give a lot of room. But the pick up never recovered and hit them, killing the driver. As others have said, glad no one seriosly hurt. I paid someone to tow my rig from dealer to rv park and right after man pulled up a woman drove up and claimed he caused a wreck. Turns out someone was going to pass him on a two lane road and there was another car coming so he changed his mind and backed up into the woman who showed up to complain. As long as my new trailer wasnt damaged and no one hurt, we are good.
AktxGram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #79

Purchased my dash cam after a incident that happened to me when I was coming home with my camper. I had a lady in a "beater" car suddenly swerve in front of me and slam on the brakes and this happened right in front of a green light. Fortunately I had empty shoulder to the right, had a car to my left, and swung into it and was hard onto the brakes and horn, she looked in her mirror then swung her head right to find me on the shoulder, she hit the gas and took off.

Had I hit her would have been my word against hers and at a controlled intersection I would have been f'd as there was no way I could have stopped in time. Not saying it was a setup but sure felt like it, purchased a dashcam shortly after.
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #80

Send a message via AIM to MendocinoExplorer Send a message via Skype™ to MendocinoExplorer
Regarding Dash Cam:

If you have an iPhone, you can go to the Apple App Store and search for an app called Dash Cam produced by IPcamsoft.com I think I paid about six dollars for it, and other than not displaying what is behind the vehicle, I can’t imagine anything it should do, that it doesn’t already do. I have it mounted in my truck on an iPhone dashmount facing forward.

Happy customer.

Rennie