Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #1

06 Charleston hydraulic hoses

Just wondering if anyone has any experience changing the hydraulic hoses on an 06 Charleston. I noticed a small oil spot in the storage bay and after closer inspection, found small bubbles in the hoses. So it looks like all of the hoses will need to be replaced. It seems they run inside the frame rail through the compartments from the back compartment to the front of the coach.
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I remember something about hydraulic hoses being faulty several years ago and many needing replaced. I think if it were me, I would tie a rope to the end of each line and pull it through, then reverse the procedure once you have the lines made. If you're lucky enough to be able to get the sizes and have them pre-made, you could get a union and just pull the new ones through as you pull the old out. May take a couple people to push and pull though.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

That is what I was hoping to do, but was concerned about them being fastened as a bundle in the frame rail. If that is the case, I guess I will try to pull the whole bundle out at one time. The problem will be marking each one to know where they go.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Seems like it may be a bit of a hassle, but I think you are on the right track and can accomplish this yourself and save a bunch of money.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

It's likely that the hoses have ties to something somewhere along the path to the cylinders. I also recall from the Georgetown discussions that it's much more cost effective to have a hydraulics shop make new hoses for you rather than getting new ones from FR.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
It's likely that the hoses have ties to something somewhere along the path to the cylinders. I also recall from the Georgetown discussions that it's much more cost effective to have a hydraulics shop make new hoses for you rather than getting new ones from FR.

Phil
I agree with having the hoses made, much easier and usually considerably less expensive. Thanks for your input.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #7

hose bubbles

I had a 2007 Charleston same as the 2006 and had bubbles also. Each hose is labeled at the pump motor and also the other end with length in inches and its location. Left front jack, Right front jack, Front right slide ECT... so you can have a hydraulic shop make them up in advance. You will need to cut the zip ties that are around them all the way down the channel that runs along the frame rail PITA. I did as stated prior, used a fitting to connect the old hose to the new one and pulled it through but it was not that easy but got it done with a few choice words. Be patient and you will make it happen. DO NOT PUT COACH UP ON THE JACKS TO ACCESS THE JACK HOSES AND REMOVE THE LINES. Lift coach up high and block the frame rails then retract the jacks. Do one hose at a time and disconnect all power until finished. Two hoses on each jack and the main slide hoses ore in the basement. Mine was a 400QS four slides. Goodluck
rickkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkey2 View Post
I had a 2007 Charleston same as the 2006 and had bubbles also. Each hose is labeled at the pump motor and also the other end with length in inches and its location. Left front jack, Right front jack, Front right slide ECT... so you can have a hydraulic shop make them up in advance. You will need to cut the zip ties that are around them all the way down the channel that runs along the frame rail PITA. I did as stated prior, used a fitting to connect the old hose to the new one and pulled it through but it was not that easy but got it done with a few choice words. Be patient and you will make it happen. DO NOT PUT COACH UP ON THE JACKS TO ACCESS THE JACK HOSES AND REMOVE THE LINES. Lift coach up high and block the frame rails then retract the jacks. Do one hose at a time and disconnect all power until finished. Two hoses on each jack and the main slide hoses ore in the basement. Mine was a 400QS four slides. Goodluck
Thanks, exactly the information I was hoping for!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #9

Just wanted to post an update on my hydraulic hoses. I don't think the designer could have made it any more difficult to replace the hoses. Two of us have been working for two days and we have all the long runs replaced, only have the four short hoses between the slide cylinders to replace. The problem is we have to drop the propane tank to reach them. Between the zip ties and the expanding foam between compartments, I am about to give up. This was truly not a job for a fat old man and I would think hard about bringing it to a service center if I had to do it again. LOL
Old 08-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #10

I don’t envy your efforts. Thanks for the updates.

Kevin

Tags
charleston, hydraulic