Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 AM   #21

Edit to above: if it really REALLY gets cold, put some insulation between the 2 garbage cans.

If you get a lot of snowfall, pile it up and make a skirting around the exposed underside of your coach - friend of mine wintering in CO did that and it worked very well to keep the wind from chilling the underside of his coach.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #22

So we purchased our first motor home! We ended up with the 2016 charleston 430 bh...

Quick question: we are all hooked up at a campsite with city water. We were going to be out for the remainder of the day and I'm concerned about the water pressure, so I turned off the city water before we left-- but I forgot to turn the tankless water heater off. Did I make a mistake?
Gorlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlof View Post
So we purchased our first motor home! We ended up with the 2016 charleston 430 bh...

Quick question: we are all hooked up at a campsite with city water. We were going to be out for the remainder of the day and I'm concerned about the water pressure, so I turned off the city water before we left-- but I forgot to turn the tankless water heater off. Did I make a mistake?
First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your new Motorhome! You got a top of the line coach there!

The HWH is "on demand" That means it only heats water when you have a hot water tap turned on. You should be fine.

Get one of these ASAP:
https://smile.amazon.com/Valterra-A0...water+pressure

And you can just leave your water on at the pedestal - set the pressure at 65PSI and you are good to go!

As I recall, you are military aren't you?
Old 02-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #24

Your water Heater will be fine. If we are in the area we don't shut off the water. I would shut off the water if going to be gone a few days or so.

Just in case you have a leak somewhere in the coach.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:17 PM   #25

Yes, I am military. So there is something weird happening on my coach and I'm super frustrated because I can't figure it out. Water gets hot in the kitchen but when I turn water on in bathroom the ignition failed light starts blinking. Any ideas?
Gorlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #26

Sorry, can't remember which hot water heater you have. you can look on the web site for trouble shooting ideas. It does make no sense that it would work one place but not in another, it senses the water flow to lite the burner. Mine is Girard Gen2, you may have an Atwood heater. Let us know.

Bill

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #27

Quote:
I am seriously considering a 2016 bunkhouse for my family to travel cross country. My wife and I are brand new to the RV community and will have 3 children in tow. Anyone want to share the good/bad/ugly? I can't find much information out about the Charleston and it doesn't appear that there are too many on the road. Thoughts? Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

I'll chime in also, we have a 2015 RB. Nothing major just usual new coach stuff, we did up grade to girard gen 3 tankless, FR support been great.
We are happy campers.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Yes, I am military. So there is something weird happening on my coach and I'm super frustrated because I can't figure it out. Water gets hot in the kitchen but when I turn water on in bathroom the ignition failed light starts blinking. Any ideas?
I mentioned military because I wanted to remind you that staying at FAMCAMPS is your new best friend

I am hoping that someone with your brand of tankless hot water heater will chime in with a fix for you.

Others may disagree with me but the bottom line is the previous brands of tankless hot water heaters used in Berkshires/Charlestons were unreliable and prone to malfunction

This is why the Diesel Division went to the Truma Tankless this year across all build lines.

Perhaps if you call Randy he will be willing to work with you on getting a Truma to replace your current hot water heater - it is a direct swap-out - the only thing you will have to do is get the HWH door painted to match your coach (which will be a tad on the pricey side).

Bottom line though: you will have a Truma HWH and it is absolutely bulletproof - we have one in ours and have absolutely no problems.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #29

I'll just throw this out there, I have no skin in the game, Lazydays Tampa has a 2016 used Charleston RB for sale, I have personally seen it an it's clean, Think they got it at $303k but I'll beat $200k or Alittle less will take it. I have one like it 2015 an very happy for the dollar. Just a FYI
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charleston