Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2021, 07:56 PM   #1

Charleston quality

So how does everyone like these. Didn’t even know about them until I seen one at a campground. Didn’t even notice the Forum for it here.
How do these compare to other high end DP motor homes. I have had good luck with all my FR products 2 TT,s and the Current Georgetown.
Just curious what everyone thinks of them and if you have anything else to compare it too,
I was planning on a Berkshire, but these look like a nice upper end option.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

The Charleston line was discontinued a number of years ago.
It is now more commonly known as the Berkshire or Berkshire XLT line.

At least that’s all I believe became of them……..

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:48 AM   #3

I heard a rumor this year while at Goshen that the Charleston might be coming back like I said a rumor
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:48 PM   #4

Hmm. OK. Didn’t know that. And that makes sense I haven't seen any for sale newer than 18 I believe.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Commercial Member

The Charleston DP is making a comeback right now it is the production phase and should debut sometime soon at TBD date. SO keep your eyes peeled for the glitzy and glamorous new and improved Charleston
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #6

We purchased a 2014 430FK in August. Low mileage and extremely well maintained. Aside from the usual little things, it is an amazing coach. Great styling, phenomenal ride, and pretty good quality (is there any such thing as “excellent”quality in an RV?).

I think the key with any motorhome is the awareness that most everything above the chassis will need repair or replaced over time and how soon depends on the quality of your starting point when you purchase. Having owned a 2000 Holiday Rambler for the past 4 years, I can speak first hand on the maintenance of a used coach. Routine maintenance on the powertrain and genset are a must.

Hope this helps.
iznutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:58 PM   #7

Like Dodge Guy, we also have been admiring the Charleston, specifically the 430 FK model.
The dealer we bought our GT XL378 from had called about 4-5 times last year wanting to "rebuy" our coach. At the time they had a 2014-2015 Charleston rear bath. We went, looked, test drove, but couldn't pull the trigger. If it was the Front Kitchen, would have been a different story! Loved the drive, quite the difference between it and our V10. Now that I'm retired, I seriously doubt there will be a DP in our future.
Mooney 78865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #8
Diesel Rep West Coast

For those interested, there is actually an article in RVpro magazine this month regarding the release of the Charleston product line.

https://nbm.uberflip.com/i/1452870-march-22/11?
Eric B FR Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:03 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep they are on there way back . In the final stages on working bugs out and testing. Hope to see one when Frog Bob gets his. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:45 AM   #10

https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/c...mes/charleston

Looks like the rumor is coming true-
Old 11-23-2022, 11:28 AM   #11

Saw a 40' at Hershey. Nice coach but a little pricey.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #12

I purchased an 06 40 foot quad slide Charleston a few years ago. No more problems than any other used motor home and probably less than most. My wife and I love the ride and the way it drives, and she loves the floor plan. It came with the Mercedies diesel and has been trouble free and in my opinion performs better than the Cummins or Catapillar options. I would definately consider buying another one if I ever replace this one.

Good luck
Ronnie

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #13
Director, FROG

Cindy and I picked up a new Charleston during the FROG Rally, moved into it over Labor Day weekend, and are now on our second extended trip in it.

The first trip was to a series of rallies in Gulf Shores, Grapevine (TX), Durango, Albuquerque, and OK City, then back to Middlebury. We left last weekend for Thanksgiving with family, then will be heading to a rally in Charleston, Tampa RV Show, rally in New Orleans, and more.

Quick synopsis: This thing drives like a dream, with the same engine and transmission -- Cummins 450 HP and Allison 6-speed with economy and power modes -- as the several Berkshire XLT models that we've had. Given that this is 37 feet vs 45 on the XLT, and about 7,300 pounds lighter on GVWR, the power is amazing. We're flat towing a Chevy Silverado 1500 and can't even feel it back there.

Some of the new collision avoidance systems -- adaptive cruise control, which slows you if it detects you gaining on a vehicle ahead within a certain distance; warning if you are too close to someone or if someone pulls in within certain stopping distances ahead of you; out-of-lane warning -- are great safety features. I particularly love the adaptive cruise control, which slows you as I mentioned, then brings your back up to set speed if you move out to pass or if the vehicle ahead speeds up sufficiently.

The ride is like driving your living room.

The bedroom has two floor-to-ceiling sliding door closets -- one across the the back about six feet wide, and another on the side about three feet wide along with a six drawer dresser, stacked washer and dryer, and a king bed that rises into a reclining position to allow for the full-length slide on the door side.

There's a full bathroom just ahead of the bedroom, with a huge and beautiful full tile shower. The galley includes a huge residential refrigerator / freezer, convection microwave, induction cooktop, huge sink, and dishwasher. Directly across from the sink is a huge floor to ceiling pantry, only about eight inches wide but with five adjustable drawers about three feet deep on rollers.

This unit, like the XLT, has no propane on board. The kitchen is entirely electric, and the Aqua Hot system, powered by diesel or propane, operates the furnace, water heater, and heated floors. There are two AC zones, both with electric heat pumps.

The dash is fully electronic, with options for some supplemental gauges that you might want to have visible. Controls include three-stage exhaust brake, adjustable pedals, and more. There's extensive underneath storage, including full pass through compartments, one two-way sliding tray, and a supplemental freezer on its own tray. The unit has keyless starting, keyless entry, and keyless electronic compartments locks, the latter two supplemented by key systems. The house DC system is provided by a lithium battery bank supplemented by solar.

There have been a few minor suggestions that we've sent over to the plant for review, which is part of what we do when we receive a new "company car."

If you think you might be in the market, are are just curious, take a look at your Forest River Charleston dealer or at an RV show near you.

For more information, click on the article that Eric linked above.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Cindy and I picked up a new Charleston during the FROG Rally, moved into it over Labor Day weekend, and are now on our second extended trip in it.

The first trip was to a series of rallies in Gulf Shores, Grapevine (TX), Durango, Albuquerque, and OK City, then back to Middlebury. We left last weekend for Thanksgiving with family, then will be heading to a rally in Charleston, Tampa RV Show, rally in New Orleans, and more.

Quick synopsis: This thing drives like a dream, with the same engine and transmission -- Cummins 450 HP and Allison 6-speed with economy and power modes -- as the several Berkshire XLT models that we've had. Given that this is 37 feet vs 45 on the XLT, and about 7,300 pounds lighter on GVWR, the power is amazing. We're flat towing a Chevy Silverado 1500 and can't even feel it back there.

Some of the new collision avoidance systems -- adaptive cruise control, which slows you if it detects you gaining on a vehicle ahead within a certain distance; warning if you are too close to someone or if someone pulls in within certain stopping distances ahead of you; out-of-lane warning -- are great safety features. I particularly love the adaptive cruise control, which slows you as I mentioned, then brings your back up to set speed if you move out to pass or if the vehicle ahead speeds up sufficiently.

The ride is like driving your living room.

The bedroom has two floor-to-ceiling sliding door closets -- one across the the back about six feet wide, and another on the side about three feet wide along with a six drawer dresser, stacked washer and dryer, and a king bed that rises into a reclining position to allow for the full-length slide on the door side.

There's a full bathroom just ahead of the bedroom, with a huge and beautiful full tile shower. The galley includes a huge residential refrigerator / freezer, convection microwave, induction cooktop, huge sink, and dishwasher. Directly across from the sink is a huge floor to ceiling pantry, only about eight inches wide but with five adjustable drawers about three feet deep on rollers.

This unit, like the XLT, has no propane on board. The kitchen is entirely electric, and the Aqua Hot system, powered by diesel or propane, operates the furnace, water heater, and heated floors. There are two AC zones, both with electric heat pumps.

The dash is fully electronic, with options for some supplemental gauges that you might want to have visible. Controls include three-stage exhaust brake, adjustable pedals, and more. There's extensive underneath storage, including full pass through compartments, one two-way sliding tray, and a supplemental freezer on its own tray. The unit has keyless starting, keyless entry, and keyless electronic compartments locks, the latter two supplemented by key systems. The house DC system is provided by a lithium battery bank supplemented by solar.

There have been a few minor suggestions that we've sent over to the plant for review, which is part of what we do when we receive a new "company car."

If you think you might be in the market, are are just curious, take a look at your Forest River Charleston dealer or at an RV show near you.

For more information, click on the article that Eric linked above.
We really like the new Charleston and are considering buying one. How is you fuel economy? Any issues mechanical yet?
Daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #15
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh5525 View Post
We really like the new Charleston and are considering buying one. How is you fuel economy? Any issues mechanical yet?
So far we're getting about 7.5 to 8 mpg, towing everywhere we've gone. Our trip last week to St. Louis was into a headwind all the way -- a steady 15 mph plus gusts from the southwest, so from our left front when going west, from our right front when going south. At the end of 430 miles we filled with 59 gallons of fuel, or 7.3 mpg.

No mechanical issues related to the coach. We had a problem with the diesel side of the Aqua Hot system and called a mobile tech that Aqua Hot had recommended to us for service a couple of years ago. He came to us in Middlebury and replaced the burner under warranty, and we paid $50 for the mobile service. (He's in Elkhart most of the year, but spends winters in the Tampa area, including providing service at the RV show there in January.)

CORRECTION TO MY EARLIER POST: I said that the Aqua Hot system runs on diesel or propane. It does not. It runs on diesel or electricity. There is nothing on this RV that uses propane, and so no propane tank.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:54 PM   #16

Great to know. Thanks
Daveh5525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charleston, quality