Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 PM   #1

Continuous Water Drain when using "City Water"

After setting up camp, and taking the family to Six Flags for the day, I came back to find a nice little pond on the passenger side of our 2012 Charleston. I could see water draining from a spout behind the last main storage bay (under the door that is held shut with two cotter pins).

It appears that having the "city" water supply hooked up fills our water tank and then proceeds to overflow. I'm confused as to why I have 2 water fills (one for the tank and one for city water) if the city one fills the tank and then overflows. I turned off the city supply and turned on the water pump, and the "leak" promptly stopped.

What am I missing here? Is there a valve I need to close somewhere? Do I have a more serious problem that needs to be fixed?
chabbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #2

From what I have read in this forum I believe with the City water hookup there is a check valve to stop the flow into the holding tank.
Sometimes this valve sticks and you have to run the pump a bit to close the check valve then you should be able to use the city water properly.
Or the check valve is just out right pooched.
Try the pump first.

Others should pipe in but I think that's the basic idea.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:37 AM   #3

Now that I turned the pump on, it keeps going on and off even though no water is in use. Anyone experienced that? I finally turned it off so we could get some sleep.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabbey View Post
Now that I turned the pump on, it keeps going on and off even though no water is in use. Anyone experienced that? I finally turned it off so we could get some sleep.
Most RV water pumps have a "Built In" check valve/diaphragm device that prevents "Backflow"! The cause for fail can be "age/over pressure from the city water supply/debris/or part failer! Some pumps have "Rebuild Kits Available,while others just replace the entire Pump"! If you have the Tools and Skill level most repair or replace pump jobs are a DIY while some require you to be a "Contortionist" in regards to pump Placement! Youroo!!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:11 AM   #5

Another thread about this issue recently had the following info about how to "reset" or clear a faulty check valve:

Turn off city water
Turn off water pump if on.
Turn on any faucet wait 1 min
Turn on water pump
let water run 1 min
Turn off faucet
turn off water pump
Wait for water pump to quit running
Turn on city water
Old 08-31-2016, 06:42 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This is one reason I turn water off to my camper when I leave for more then an hour!

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

I had the exact same problem. Turns out that the cap on the low point drain was not tight, causing the leak and the pump to run intermittently. Tightened the cap to stop the leak and problem solved.
Mr_Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #8

The two problems confirm that it is the check valve in the water pump:
(1) City water is flowing back through the pump and filling the water tank.
(2) When using water from the tank, the pump cannot hold pressure.
You don't need to replace or repair the pump. You can just leave it alone and insert a new check valve in the pipe after the pump. You can get one for a few dollars at Home Depot or a hardware store.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

You will find a similar discussion in the Georgetown thread with a procedural solution.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1292553
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #10

is the tank fill valve open?
if so water from the city water line will fill the tank until it overflos out the over flow pipe
if left open it will also cycle water from the fresh tank cauing the pump to run continuously

just a thought
myhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:55 AM   #11

Where is the tank full valve?
Old 09-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #12

Interesting problem with multiple possible answers. First it does have the symptoms of a leaky check valve. High pressure water from the city water connection is flowing in reverse through the check valve and filling the tank and then overflowing the tank. When the pump is turned on it can't hold pressure since the pressure leaks back through the pump because of the check valve and the pump starts again!

All seem to point to the check valve...and then the question about the "tank fill" valve. My 335 doesn't have one and it has a separate tank fill connection, which frankly is a pain in the...! My 1997 Bounder simply had a valve that went from the pressure side to the lift side if the pump. Open it and city pressure would fill the water tank. In effect it was in itself a leaky check valve.

So...if the OP's rig has a bypass to fill the tank then close it as it might simply be slightly cracked open. Otherwise fix the check valve, after trying the method to remove whatever might be blocking it.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #13

So I agree with the check valve assessment, but I haven't been able to find it. Is it internal to the pump? I've looked all around the pump in the bay that is closed by cotter pins, but don't see anything.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #14

Yep
It is built in, had to replace the pump.
Can always put in a manual shutoff but would be a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Charleston 430RB
Billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #15

Me too. New pump.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, drain, water