Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #1

Dust Accumulation in Back Closets

I just emptied out the closet and storage cabinets along the back wall of our 2014 Charleston and discovered accumulations of literally small piles of dust... probably on the order of 5 or 6 cups full. The clothes that we had in there were covered in dirt. We are trying to figure out where this dust/dirt is entering the coach from, and are wondering if anyone else had a similar discovery and what did they do to fix the situation. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
statdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
cjearle

Could have some sort of wood eating bug in there! Especially if you are finding piles of dust/dirt. Maybe a type of wood boring type of bug. Beatles,wood bees, termites? I would empty everything out and see if there are any tiny holes or runs in the wood. look in the corners. you may need to faog and spray the camper. But make sure the pilots are out first.
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #3

Being in the back it could also be a bad seal in the body , try putting bright lights in the closets and look around the under compartments or back cap to see if the light is shinning threw. Also is this a diesel pusher?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #4

We have a Berkshire and have never had that happen. You must have something not sealed. If you are anywhere close to Elkhart they have a pressure test that will find a leak. I also think that larger RV dealers have the same test equipment. Maybe an ice pick used as a probe will find it. Definitely a odd problem.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by statdoc1 View Post
I just emptied out the closet and storage cabinets along the back wall of our 2014 Charleston and discovered accumulations of literally small piles of dust... probably on the order of 5 or 6 cups full. The clothes that we had in there were covered in dirt. We are trying to figure out where this dust/dirt is entering the coach from, and are wondering if anyone else had a similar discovery and what did they do to fix the situation. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Oddly enough, we noticed quite a large amount of what looked like sawdust in the right front top cabinet of our Forester. It covered both the shelf and floor of the cabinet and covered our printer. We thought maybe because of sawing panels or cutting holes at the factory, it filtered down into the cabinet during a trip. We had seen quite a lot of dirt, debris, cut wire, etc. under the slide floor and presume this was another area within the walls of the cabinet that wasn't cleaned before moving along the assembly line.
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:48 AM   #6

Hi... Thanks for the replies. This is definitely dust as it accumulated all over my clothes. There is definitely a seal issue some where in the back of this diesel pusher. I am headed to Elkhart next week and will ask them to check it out with their pressurizing device. I am at least glad to see this is not a wide spread issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
statdoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

understand this is old post, we are very close to buying a 2015,,, getting shaky.. was this problem resolved an what was your experience at Elkhart
thank you
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote