Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #1

Fresh water

Do any of you add anything into your fresh water tank if your not winterizing. Going to park but want to keep some water on board. Not sure if the water will turn green.
JerrysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I wold never leave water in the tank more than a few days. If it is well water, it will have stuff in it that may grow. If is city water, it will eventually go bad also, just take a little longer. There is a post on here from a few years ago where people got sick drinking old water. I wouldn't. Don't know where you are, and why you're not winterizing, but your tank will freeze unless you have heaters and leave them on, which will drain batteries pretty quick, so you need to be plugged in. Lastly, if the water does go bad, and you run it through even just the toilet, you have contaminated your supply lines, so will have to sanitize the whole system. Is it worth the chance?
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

CAMCO Freshener at West Marine

If you're not using the coach for a couple weeks then I'd dump the tank and refill when you're ready to use it again. I have well water and use this in my fresh water tank. I only fill my tank at my house so I know the water is safe. As long as the weather isn't too extremely hot, I usually keep the water in the tank for 2 weeks. If extremely hot for a few days I'll dump the tank and refill the tank after sanitizing it and the water lines with 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water. As for freezing possiblilities, we don't know where you are located but if you have freezing temperatures around you, you'll need to winterize the coach by blowing out the lines or anti-freeze whichever your preference.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #4

I live in south Louisiana. Our winters aren't very cold but we do have some freezes. I keep it in a storage building so it's protected from the rain and winds. There's no water at the storage facility that why I wanted to keep some water in the tank. I thought I could add something to it to keep it from going bad.
JerrysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a test for you. If you have any bottled water, see if it has an expiration date. We don't use it, so I'm not sure. Also remember, your fresh water tank is vented to the air, not sealed up. Do as you wish, but why do you want water in the tank? If you are at the storage lot and think you might need a a bathroom, do not use the camper, then you will have a mess in your holding tanks. And that mess will not be easy to get out next spring, after the liquid has evaporated. If you think you might get thirsty, pack a cooler when you go. Take some bottled water with you. I think you are asking for trouble, that is easily preventable.

One last test. Clean out an empty milk jug. Fill it with water and put it in the camper when you store the camper. Now when you go back in a few weeks, take a big long smell, then a big long drink. See if anything is growing in the bottom.

As a side note, people who sail the ocean in small crafts use canned water for storage and emergency. No air, no sunlight.Longer shelf life, but still has an expiration date.

Just trying to keep you healthy.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote