Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #1
waybeck2018

A hidden treasure in West Virginia

The DW and I had to make an unexpected trip this week end to Lewisburg, WVA due to the death and funeral of a longtime friend and shipmate of mine. While there we stayed in a hotel in Lewisburg since the TT was still winterized and the funeral was out in the sticks at an older cemetery in a rural area.

Lewisburg has been designated as the friendliest small town in America. Spending three days in the area we can attest to that. Restaurants are plentiful as are shops, Lowes and Walmart. We have always enjoyed Bob Evans Restaurant and of course ate there.

While in Lewisburg we took some time to ride around the historic district. This little town is amazing. Circa 1840's buildings and log cabins, beautiful rolling hills with horse and cattle farms on US HWY 60 towards Alta and a covered bridge. Shops, walking paths etc. Civil War Battle commemorations and cemetery. They have COVID mandates such as distancing and masks but 95% of things are open.

If you have the occasion to transit I-64 from Berkley towards I-81 in Virginia take the time to stop in Lewisburg. Exit 169 off I-64. Also, North on I-64 about six miles is Evergreen River Campground in Alderson. Or email greenbriarriver.com PH 304.445.2203. Several others in the area but this is the closest I think. We did not visit the campground due to severe icing in the area and played it safe.

Who would have thought ? I definitely think it is worth a stopover or several day visit. The Greenbriar Valley is beautiful throughout. Enjoy

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Sounds like I will put it on my RV travel wishlist. Thanks for the write-up.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
Insert witty title here

I thought West Virginia was quite pretty to drive through. I was warned, however by some friendly locals to not venture too far up into the hills.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

They stopped eating people due to COVID.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. I always look forward to when members post information about a desirable locations to checkout more so when its closer to me and this one is within 250 miles so it has my attention for a future visit
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #6

Greenbirar Country Club, in that area, is a beautiful old place with a spectacular hotel. Buried underneath the hotel is a scaled-down version of the House and Senate chambers in Washington. Built at the start of the Cold War, the original intention was if D.C. were ever attacked, the members of Congress could get on a train and ride directly to the Greenbriar, hole up underground, and still conduct the business of government. In addition to the two chambers, there is a huge underground cafeteria and sleeping quarters for over 1,200 people - every member of Congress and one aide for each of them.

The underground bunker remained secret for many years, but (most of) it is now open for public tours.

Well worth a stop and a tour.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #7

There's a pretty good craft distillery there for those who might care to sample some fine bourbon and rum. It's named Smooth Ambler and is on US 219 (the main drag through Lewisburg) just a mile or two northeast of the intersection of US 219 and I 64.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I thought West Virginia was quite pretty to drive through. I was warned, however by some friendly locals to not venture too far up into the hills.
They probably figured you were ATF agents searching for their stills.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #9
NXR

Yup, there's a reason why this place is (or was) the choice of CEO's everywhere: https://www.greenbrier.com/

The Greenbrier actually was a "continuity of government" shelter for The Big One and now they give tours of that facility.

The Greenbrier used to be owned by the Chessie System, the railroad now known as CSX, but I think they sold it off.

Ray
Old 03-02-2021, 02:28 PM   #10

The Greenbrier is now owned by the governor of West Virginia, Jim Justice.
Greenbrier State Forest is nearby. Watoga State Park on the Greenbrier River is worth a look in that neck of the woods, too. Seneca State Forest is on up the road a piece. All pretty parks.

2020 E-pro 19FD - 2019 Ford Ranger
Don B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #11

Greenbrier State Forest was amazing. Not many campsites and probably best for smaller rigs but we stayed there on accident for one night last fall and loved it. We were in a 31 foot class C and I don’t think I’d want to be in anything bigger there. Taking the pop up later this year.
PopUpPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:30 PM   #12

Lots of interesting things to see and do in that area of West Virginia. Our favorite campground is East Fork Campground and Stables in Durbin. The Durbin Rocket, a steam powered scenic train is located next to the campground. It takes a very scenic ride along the Greenbriar River. Close by is the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, it is the location of one of the largest movable radio telescopes, a very interesting place to tour. The Cass Scenic Railroad is not far away, it is home to more than one steam powered locomotive and a mostly restored timber town. It will take you to Bald Knob, the 2nd highest point in WV. The old railroad bed beside the West Fork of the Greenbriar is great for hiking or bike riding, there are over 30 miles of it. If trout fishing is your thing, try any of the waterways in this area.

Be aware that there is a 30 square area around Greenbank and the National Radio Astronomy Observatory that has absoluty no cell phone service. The campground and other area do have Wifi.
wvcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:47 AM   #13

You used to be able to dry camp in the parking lot at the Cass Scenic RR. We spent a couple of nights there at the far end of the parking lot along side a sweet little river. Very nice and $10/night.
Do not know if you can still do that.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote