Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Wanna Be Camper

Advice for traveling through Kansas and Oklahoma area

Seeing as we depart next thursday for Tennessee and will be traveling through Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas I have a question regarding the weather. With all the tornados in that area the last few weeks, what should we be looking for to warn of impeding bad stuff and what is normal proceedure when on the highways with an RV if a tornado should rear it ugly head. Also should we monitor the radio and if so what channels is considered the proper one? I imagine there is other things I should ask so please feel free to pass on any info that may be of benefit.

Thanks

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Trailer Trash

The sky, a smartphone with internet access while traveling, and rest stops/truck stop. All of these will give you weather info. Pull over and stop in a parking lot BEFORE you get into trouble. Figure a 40mph wind you can still tow an RV. 50mph is accident prone. Some of the brand new GPS have weather radar built in. Digital radio such as Sirius, XM, etc. have 24 weather channels. Local radio is tough as you travel fast on interstate and before you know it, the station goes out. Smart phone is my favorite - one with internet access and web browser. Brings up current radar for your location.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
MI Camperz

Dh keeps a scanner for national weather service, police, fire, etc. The live feeds of national weather service are satelite if you lose your cell, you still have info. He says its 62.1 on a scanner. A scanner generally sells for a few hundred. The biggest hoot is listening to cg radio communications of security/rangers.
Imagine that at goshen!! Lmao..."all units to Turbs location..."
Old 05-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
jdadoug

Kansas weather

Well, we have a saying here in Kansas......... "Wait thirty minutes and it will change"
Yes its been a weird year here, winter stayed into March, lots of storms, wind and tornado's.
If you listen to just about any radio station there is a weather blip after the news. You can always listen to the NOAA weather stations. After that you're pretty much on your own. Just so you dont sweat it too much, I have lived here in Ks. for 56 years and haven't ever been hit by a tornado.
(knock on wood)
jdadoug