Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #1

Best Route from Indy to Bristol, TN

So I'm hauling my XLR 29HFS from Indianapolis to Bristol Tennessee for the NASCAR night races in August. I've driven the route in a car before but never pulled a trailer that far. The hills in Tennessee can get pretty aggressive near Knoxville. I was wondering if there was another route? When I run Google maps it tells me to get off before Tennessee on 23 E. I looked at the satellite image and it is four-lane highway for most of the way but it has me get on highway 58 and some other ones to wind me into Bristol. But other Maps have shown me the best and easiest route is just I 75 south all the way to Knoxville and then 81 E.

Just looking for some opinions and or suggestions.
STLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #2

We go to Kingsport, Tennessee on a regular basis and pull our fifth wheel. For variety we have taken several different routes but you still have to deal with the mountains.

We have taken I-75 to Corbin, US 25E to the Cumberland Gap, US 58 to Duffield, Virginia, and finally US 23 south to Kingsport. This route is mostly four lane, but there is a pretty steep mountain west of Duffield.

But I think the best route is I-75 to Corbin, US 25E to Cumberland Gap and continue on US 25E to Morristown, Tennessee. From there you can take I-81 to the Kingsport-Bristol area. You still have to deal with a mountain between Cumberland Gap and Morristown, but it is not too bad. This route is all four lane.

Of course, the easiest way is I-75 to Knoxville and I-81 to Bristol, but to me that route is kind of boring.

You can always go one way and come back another to see what you like best.
rburns4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #3

If you don't want hills to climb and scary turns, I75 to I81. Couple hills on 75 but 81 is flat land.
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
one day at a time

Headed there from Illinois! Staying at Eahrhardt, you?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Idle_Idylist is offline   Reply With Quote