Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #1
Dhm

Campground Recommendations New Orleans

What's your favorite in the New Orleans area and why? Thanks!
Dhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Dhm

Thanks for any help!

Any thoughts on New Orleans campgrounds?
Dhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #3

We've stayed at Pontchartrain Landing and enjoyed it. It's about 20 minutes from the French Quarter and they have a shuttle. It wasn't cheap, about $60 per night during the week, $70 on the weekend, but clean, safe and well maintained. After you pay for a dinner and drinks in the Quarter, $60 seems cheap.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
HDU

We stayed at St Bernard State Park a few months ago. I guess we were about 30 minutes from downtown NO. Not much on the way to and from NO when you stay at St Bernard, but the campground was clean, quiet and worked well for a couple night stay to see NO. It was around 18 bucks per night with electric and water. We did find a restaurant close by called Charlie's. Great po'boys and I have had a lot of them. Looks like a dive from the outside, but food and staff were good and just 5 minutes from St. Bernard S/P.
HDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDU View Post
We stayed at St Bernard State Park a few months ago. I guess we were about 30 minutes from downtown NO. Not much on the way to and from NO when you stay at St Bernard, but the campground was clean, quiet and worked well for a couple night stay to see NO. It was around 18 bucks per night with electric and water. We did find a restaurant close by called Charlie's. Great po'boys and I have had a lot of them. Looks like a dive from the outside, but food and staff were good and just 5 minutes from St. Bernard S/P.

We stayed at Bayou Segnette State Park Campground a year ago in April, and it was one of the nicest campgrounds we have experienced... friendly staff, large campsites, very clean. And it is a 20 minute drive to a ferry that takes you right to the French Quarter! A bit tricky to find, but well worth it.

Bob & Cynthia
2017 SunSeeker MBS 2400W
Old 10-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
geezer with gadgets

We stayed right in the French Quarter at the French Quarter RV Park. Yes, it is expensive, but you can't beat the location.

French Quarter RV Resort - New Orleans, LA - RV Park Reviews

Laissez le bon temps roule'!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Always Learning

We are going to New Orleans for Christmas. I haven't stayed at any of these and based everything off of reviews.

My first choice was French Quarter RV Resort. The biggest PRO to this one is that it's within walking distance to the french quarter craziness. I've seen a few online reports that it's sketchy walking to/from. The biggest CON is the cost.

Otherwise, I looked at a couple of private RV parks in the area and liked Pontchartrain Landing. Seems to get good reviews. But for a Christmas visit, was a bit out of my budget for a 3-week stay.

I also considered a couple of state parks. Specifically Fontainebleau State Park and Bayou Segnette State Park. My budget liked these the best but they wouldn't commit to letting me stay for 3 weeks. There's no sewer at the sites (have to use a dump station); but that really wasn't a huge detractor for me. I didn't like what appeared to be a 1 hour travel-time to get to the French Quarter from Fontainebleau.

I ultimately landed on the KOA in the area. The cost is right in the middle between the state park and the fancier places in the area. But they would let me stay for 3 weeks. It's a little southwest of French Quarter.

Tags
mpg