Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Question Campground within 3 hours from Chicago?

We're thinking about using out toy hauler to actually go camping next weekend Since we bought it last spring we've used it for 14 BBQ competitions and have been set up in parks, fields, parking lots and city streets, but we haven't used it to go camping.

We're toying with emptying out all of the BBQ stuff and taking the dog to a campground for the weekend before winterizing it. My wife works on Sunday afternoon so we'd like to stay within about three hours of home (western suburbs of Chicago). We'd like someplace where we can do some hiking with the dog, and it the campground had a pond or small lake where I can do a little fishing that would be a bonus.

Any suggestions?

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron
We're thinking about using out toy hauler to actually go camping next weekend Since we bought it last spring we've used it for 14 BBQ competitions and have been set up in parks, fields, parking lots and city streets, but we haven't used it to go camping.

We're toying with emptying out all of the BBQ stuff and taking the dog to a campground for the weekend before winterizing it. My wife works on Sunday afternoon so we'd like to stay within about three hours of home (western suburbs of Chicago). We'd like someplace where we can do some hiking with the dog, and it the campground had a pond or small lake where I can do a little fishing that would be a bonus.

Any suggestions?
Devils Lake in Baraboo, Wisconsin has GREAT hiking and a lake (no motors). Should be within 3 hours of you but you'll want to map it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #3

Thanks... It's just over 3 hours according to Google Maps, so that's fine. I checked the State park site and they use Reserve America for reservations and that site shows no availability. I may call to double check.

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #4

Try the Jellystone in Amboy IL.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Try the Jellystone in Amboy IL.
Wow! the resort map looks like a small town I wonder if we would be better off in a smaller place since it's the first time camping with the dog.

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Old 10-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Thanks... It's just over 3 hours according to Google Maps, so that's fine. I checked the State park site and they use Reserve America for reservations and that site shows no availability. I may call to double check.
I can believe that; even this late in the season. Very nice State park.

We hike with our 10 month old Golden there. He loved the walk but what he really wanted to do was swim in the lake. Kept trying to make a beeline for it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #7

It seemed odd to me at this time of the year, too, but there are others that show no availability on Reserve America. I'll probably call tomorrow just in case.

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Ron,
This place was real nice down in Knoxville, IL. They have a nice walking path and a little pond. Nice and quiet, the owners are a little goofy but didnt really get in our way.

Galesburg East Best Holiday Trav-L-Park - Knoxville, Illinois

This place is up here on a nice small lake. We frequent the resturaunt/bar when we snowmobile, real nice folks.

This place is up here as well. We've never been there, but I have had the opportunity to drive through. Looks real nice and it's on the edge of the Kettle Moraine forrest.

Home « Scenic Ridge Campground

I just noticed that Scenic closed for the year as of today. You may run up against that on the others as well.

Good luck
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #9

Whoa... The Snug harbor link brought up so many pop ups that I had to force Firefox to quit. Weird...

I'll check out the one in Knoxville and see if I can find another way to check out the Snug Harbor one.

Thanks for the suggestions!

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Old 10-17-2011, 04:07 AM   #10

How about Stared Rock State Park in Ottawa? It's a little over an hour from Batavia, with great hiking and scenery. Sorry no lake to fish but there is the Illinios river.
2002 GMC 2500HD 8.1/Allison 4:10
2007 Honda Rancher 420
2009 Honda Rancher AT
ugeesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #11

I thought about Starved Rock but a lot of the Illinois State Parks show up as "Walk-in Only" on the reservation system. I'm sure that they would have a space available but I'd hate to get there and find out that there is nothing.

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Old 10-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #12

Haven't been there yet, but in Lafayette, IN is a place called Wolfe's Leisure Time Campground (Wolfe's Leisure Time Campground-Camp along Wabash River in Indiana). From there you can go to Wolf Park (Welcome to Wolf Park!)... many people I know talk highly about this place.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Whoa... The Snug harbor link brought up so many pop ups that I had to force Firefox to quit. Weird...

I'll check out the one in Knoxville and see if I can find another way to check out the Snug Harbor one.

Thanks for the suggestions!
WOW! it just did it to me as well........ I've asked the admin to kill the link. Sorry about that. The place is real and a nice place none-the-less.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrye5853 View Post
Haven't been there yet, but in Lafayette, IN is a place called Wolfe's Leisure Time Campground (Wolfe's Leisure Time Campground-Camp along Wabash River in Indiana). From there you can go to Wolf Park (Welcome to Wolf Park!)... many people I know talk highly about this place.
That's funny... I came across that place last night and added it to the short list. it does look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essness View Post
WOW! it just did it to me as well........ I've asked the admin to kill the link. Sorry about that. The place is real and a nice place none-the-less.
Thanks, Scot. It's not your fault. It happens. I'm a moderator at a BBQ forum and we are attacked regularly. Most of them are caught by the various forms of protection we have in place, but there are always new tricks being used that we have to watch out for.

2022 Georgetown GT5 31L5
2013 Ford Edge Limited

Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
one day at a time

Quote:
I thought about Starved Rock but a lot of the Illinois State Parks show up as "Walk-in Only" on the reservation system. I'm sure that they would have a space available but I'd hate to get there and find out that there is nothing.
I'm pretty sure from trying to book IL campgrounds on this site that it has to be 2 weeks in advance (which is a pain imo).

Maybe one of the cg on the lake in Mich they are all really nice.
Idle_Idylist is offline   Reply With Quote