Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

Campgrounds around Kansas City

Hello everyone,

I am anxiously awaiting my new Windjammer 3006wk and in order to try and keep us busy, we are planning out some trips for this summer. We live in Savannah, MO which about 1 hour north of Kansas City, MO (or 10 minutes north of St Joseph, MO). We frequently take weekend trips to the local state parks and lakes.

We are trying to find a few places within a few hours of home to take some extended trips. We are looking for places that have activities for our 2 daughters (7 & 4). One place we are seriously considering is Eugene T. Mahoney State Park in Nebraska. They have horse riding trails and horses for rent along with many other activities.

Anyone else have any ideas for places within a few hours (probably no more than 4-5 hours each way) that you have been to and would recommend? Any thoughts about Mahoney state park?

Your ideas and recommendations will help me through this 6-8 week waiting period!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #2

Welcome to the Windjammer family. We've had our 3008W for almost a year and have really enjoyed it. Did you get yours through Liberty RV?

We camp as a couple only so not big on places for kids. I've heard people talk about Jellystone Park somewhere over near Lawrence, KS. There's always the lakes down toward the Ozarks and lots of camping around Branson/Silver Dollar City. We go to Indian Point (Corp of Engineer campground) which is just down the road for SDC.

This fall we are going to camp near Omaha on our way to Mt. Rushmore. Gong to go to the zoo while in Omaha.

Good luck finding places and let us know how you like the Windjammer.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #3

We spent a week at the Worlds of Fun RV park last year. Really nice park.They keep it nice and clean there is a pool and hot tub and of course there is the park. We went to the nature center,art museum,ate at a nice sushi place in Waldo Mo and never traveled more than 30 minutes. The sites are pull through full hook up with cable.I'd go again
imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Welcome to the Windjammer family. We've had our 3008W for almost a year and have really enjoyed it. Did you get yours through Liberty RV?
Yes, we did order through Liberty RV. They have been great so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabmwnut View Post
We spent a week at the Worlds of Fun RV park last year. Really nice park.They keep it nice and clean there is a pool and hot tub and of course there is the park. We went to the nature center,art museum,ate at a nice sushi place in Waldo Mo and never traveled more than 30 minutes. The sites are pull through full hook up with cable.I'd go again
Hadn't even thought about Worlds Of Fun. Will have to check that one out. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #5

Yes Mahoney is a nice park. It gets crowded during the summer so best to have reservations. Personally I like two rivers better because it is a little less crowded but it doesn't have all the fancy stuff. We are heading to Branson next weekend. We are at Fremont sra this weekend.

If you're coming to see the zoo consider a zoo pass. Free IMAX tickets and for a little extra free admission to the safari out by Mahoney sra.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Crowder State Park just 3 miles west of Trenton, MO is a beautiful park with a small lake where you can swim or fish, hiking trails, shelter houses for picnics. Just a good all around park. Elec hookups at sites and water is close enough to hook hoses to to fill fw tank. Dump station and nice showers.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #7

We have been to Mahoney, great park, definately do the aquatic park. About 10 minutes west of there is Louisville. We couldn't get in to Mahoney one weekend and tried there. Nice little area. Vehicle pass is good for all of the parks so you can stay at Louisville and drive to Mahoney. Also Indian Cave by Nebraska City. We stay at Mozingo and of course all the state parks in the NW MO area, Smithville. We have a lot of friends that like to go Basswood in platte city but for us we would rather stay at the state parks.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Director, FROG

You could take US 36 east and be in Hannibal in the timeframe that you want. Mark Twain Cave Campground is a nice place to stay and visit the cave. Just across the street is an amusement park called Tom Sawyer's Landing. You might be able to tell the older child about Tom, Becky, and Huck, and then visit some of the Mark Twain sites in Hannibal. If you prefer, stay west of town at Mark Twain Lake.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #9

Basswoods...outside Platte City is really a great family friendly campground. We really enjoyed it in April last year.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #10

Near KC, MO/KS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBFIDY View Post
Basswoods...outside Platte City is really a great family friendly campground. We really enjoyed it in April last year.
I second the Basswood recommendation. We have been in/out of the KC area many times and we enjoy it every time.
Jackie - dog - 1994

2006 F150, 4dr, FX4, 5.4, 3.73
Equal-i-zer 10K
Prodogy BC

Career US Army Logistican

texasclarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
KWM
17 years RVing

When my daughter lived in the KC area, we liked to camp at Blue Springs Lake Campground in Fleming Park in Lee's Summit. Spacious sites in an affordable county park. Check out https://www.jacksongov.org/camping/
KWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #12

We enjoyed the Worlds of Fun RV site. Very nice
psgrandpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote