Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Camping in Upper Pennisula MI...

Any good campground suggestions? Where are the prettiest campgrounds? I have seen photos of the Dunes and Pictured Rocks up there and wondering if there are other beautiful spots (waterfalls etc.) to see and camp at. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Gratefully,
Daren S.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

I hear Tahquamenon Falls State Park Detail is a nice one. I hope to go next summer.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #3

Yes the Tahquamenon Falls is Great! Mosquitoes ate me alive, but it is very beautiful there...

John N.
Madison Heights, Mi.
2009 Salem LE 27RBEC
2013 F250 Lariat 6.2L
Leathergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #4

I've been to them all and enjoyed each and every one. But, I live here so I guess you could say I'm a bit biased.

State Parks of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

My favorite is Fort Wilkins State Park at the very top of the Keweenaw Peninsula.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #5

I hate to give it up but,Grand Marais,Town campground. Located on Lake Superior! Dont get any better! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #6

The DW and I will be following this topic with interest since we will be spending our September glamping across the U.P.
Thanks for suggestions and keep em coming.
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

Black River and Presque Isle

There are two campgrounds that a waterfall lover simply cannot miss. The Black River Harbor National Forest Campground (west of the Porkies) is at the end of a National Scenic Route chock full of waterfalls. Some of the most beautiful in the state. Just to the east of this is the Presque Isle Rustic Campground in the Porkies Wilderness. This one is also at the end of a chain of waterfalls. These are worth seeing, but not as scenic as those on the Black River, IMHO.

I included both of these in my book, Best Tent Camping Michigan. We have a Facebook page where over a thousand Michigan tent campers share their experiences camping in Michigan: Best Tent Camping - Michigan | Facebook.

Matt
mattsbigwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #8

So many campgrounds - so little time...

A great campground - believe it or not was Munising Tourist Park. You would never think that a municipal park could have such good camping. Right on the shore of Lake Superior, sheltered by Grand Island. July water very warm and calm for Lake Superior. Camping available right on the sand beach, but don't put up your awning! Wind and storms come up fast. Also, Michigamme Shores in Champion (south of Marquette) is beautiful. For Copper Harbor, Fort Wilkins State park is good, as is Tahquamenon Falls state park. One thing we did that made for a nice trip, was drive from home to Ludington, Mi., take the ferry (with camper) across to ManitowocWisconsin, then up into the UP via Green Bay and Ottawa National Forest.
wentout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #9

There is also a ship museum at White Fish Point thats pretty interesting if your in the area. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Mostly Harmless

My wife and I will leave early in the morning on Labor Day and travel from Central Iowa up through Wisconsin and finally to the Munising/Pictured Rocks area. We may camp a few days in the vicinity of Munising so we can go to Grand Island and also take one of the sunset cruises in the area. We'll probably camp at either Bay Furnace or Au Train Lake, then move to one of the campgrounds in Pictured Rocks. Forest Service campgrounds are our preferred venues. A visit to Grand Marais and possibly even Sault Ste. Marie could be in the picture too.
We're staying in the area from about September 7 through the 22nd, so if you see a Rockwood A-frame style folddown and a blue&gold Silverado, both with Iowa plates, stop and give us a holler.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo
I hate to give it up but,Grand Marais,Town campground. Located on Lake Superior! Dont get any better! Youroo!!
Would that be Woodland Park?
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevea1956 View Post
The DW and I will be following this topic with interest since we will be spending our September glamping across the U.P.
Thanks for suggestions and keep em coming.
me too- planning to go around Lake Michigan next year.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #13

Living in the U.P. I know there are many beautiful places to camp just way to many to name. Last weekend the wife and I stayed in Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park we stayed in the Presq Isle camp ground which is a primitive campground but very beautiful , level, quiet and clean. Lots of hiking trails to spectacular views of Lake Superior and many other things water falls, springs, ect. But anywhere you choose to stay up here is usually within a quick drive to beautiful scenery...

Joe S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom
I hear Tahquamenon Falls State Park Detail is a nice one. I hope to go next summer.
Would recommend the falls. Great area.
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leathergypsy
Yes the Tahquamenon Falls is Great! Mosquitoes ate me alive, but it is very beautiful there...
Mosquitos are the state bird of Michigan
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote