Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 08:03 PM   #1

Corpus Christi Texas just got evacuation order

Just got an email from afellow Rver in Corpus Christi TX saying they have a evacuation order today.
He's in a RV resort and is heading out Sunday for Fredericksburg TX.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

This is one of those storms that is going to baffle the Natural Weather Guessers right up until it dies out. But everyone on the coast, look out and keep up with the weather.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
This is one of those storms that is going to baffle the Natural Weather Guessers right up until it dies out. But everyone on the coast, look out and keep up with the weather.
I'm also a
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	635544195117250263-air-insignia-enlisted-e7-master-sergeant-mst-sgt-1600jpg.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	239442  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
He's in a RV resort and is heading out Sunday for Fredericksburg TX.
Good call.
These are the kind of storms that scare the heck out of me. It formed in the Gulf and is moving slowly... for now. They can sit out there in the Gulf for days gaining strength or they can suddenly move ashore giving people very little time to get ready.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #5

Ft Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I'm also a
Did you check at Ft Sam Houston, Fam Camp?
Tiger Force Medic, 68/69
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #6

I live in Rockport which about 30 miles north of Corpus Christi. I have not heard of any evac orders. It could be for Padre Island. Beach access is being closed. Maybe state park and fed park are being closed and evaced. Right now, it is predicted for cat 1 but that could change. I checked the internet but could not find any orders. However, I am preparing to ride it out and picking up things in yard and boarding windows. Maybe a big rain event.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #7

My wife and I rode out Hurricane Laura in our home which is located 25 miles inland from Cameron,La and 10 miles west of Lake Charles, La. Our home suffered minor damage, mostly missing shingles on roof, ceiling damage in one bedroom upstairs from water and two loose pieces of siding. Our Prime Time Crusader Lite was parked under a metal shed, roof only, no sides and only suffered minor scratching to right lower corner of front cap. I had chocked all four tires with landscape bricks and filled the grey, black & portable water tanks full of water, adding over 1000 lbs. of weight to front of trailer. Hurricane Laura was a Cat 4 when it came ashore, a Cat 1 would be a walk in the park.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
My wife and I rode out Hurricane Laura in our home which is located 25 miles inland from Cameron,La and 10 miles west of Lake Charles, La. Our home suffered minor damage, mostly missing shingles on roof, ceiling damage in one bedroom upstairs from water and two loose pieces of siding. Our Prime Time Crusader Lite was parked under a metal shed, roof only, no sides and only suffered minor scratching to right lower corner of front cap. I had chocked all four tires with landscape bricks and filled the grey, black & portable water tanks full of water, adding over 1000 lbs. of weight to front of trailer. Hurricane Laura was a Cat 4 when it came ashore, a Cat 1 would be a walk in the park.
Don't ever underestimate a hurricane based on the Category. Harvey was only a Cat 2, but it beat up Corpus Christi pretty bad and flooded the Houston area with all time record breaking flood levels. The little creek at the entrance to our little city is normally a few feet wide and a couple of feet deep. At the height of the flooding, this creek was nearly a half a mile wide and took 3 days to finally drain enough that we could get in and out of the city.

And this little storm is looking eerily similar to Harvey. So y'all be careful out there.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
And this little storm is looking eerily similar to Harvey. So y'all be careful out there.
What people tend to forget is that Harvey dumped FOUR FEET of water on Houston. Watching torrential rains dumping rain hour after hour and watching the water rising from our house is an experience I'd not like to repeat.
Right now it looks like the storm is weakening, but every one of these is different and all projections tend to not be correct.
Rvers really need to get out of the way of these storms if they can.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #10

Hi! txredfish. We visited the Rockport area three winters ago and really enjoyed the area. Good Luck with this storm. Hope you can stay safe. We could still see many remnants of damage in the area from the last storm that hit your area.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote