Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Disney World

Has anyone ever towed to Disney? If so how many miles? I am trying figure out what the gas will cost me compared to on the ground resort. It is about 775 miles for me getting 10 miles per gallon towing. I am figuring about $288.00 in gas one way. I just want to get an average of other campers trips.

Thanks.
daavalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
DDC

I just made the trip from Ontario to Disney about 2100 kilometres $378 in gas started out with full tank and had just over half tank when I got here.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #3

Wow DDC, $378 one way. If it is not bad. I see that you have an Avalanche, what is your miles per gallon while towing?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daavalanche
Has anyone ever towed to Disney? If so how many miles? I am trying figure out what the gas will cost me compared to on the ground resort. It is about 775 miles for me getting 10 miles per gallon towing. I am figuring about $288.00 in gas one way. I just want to get an average of other campers trips.

Thanks.
Haven't towed there yet but will actually be making the same venture this summer. About 1200 miles one way. We've been there every year for the last couple of years and have stayed on property and off property. The overall price for camping, including fuel, less food (or dining plan), and cost of kenneling the dog is significantly cheaper, but we also usually fly the family of four. During our last visit I spoke with several people who have camped there and they said it is one of the nicest campgrounds you will ever stay at (especially with kids). Wife just booked our spot last week.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #5

Hi QCCOWBOY, We have made a few trips also. We always stayed on the grounds This time we are bring my mother-in-law. We will have 5 people total and will have to get a family suite. Ever since I got my camper I wanted to go to Disney with it and this sounds like the perfect time to go in it.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Fort Wilderness is a great campground...so much to do there, especially with the kids...can't see doing Disney without staying at the Fort!
We'll be there in April

Old 02-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

We are planning on head to Disney World during the last week of March. It will be our longest (mileage and time) venture yet. Headed out from Birmingham, AL. The Fort was all booked, so we are staying at the Kissimmee KOA. Seems ok, but really wanted the Fort; just waited to long to book. Going to break up the drive both ways and stay somewhere in GA. Probably Tifton or Valdosta. We are very excited and plan to surprise the kids! If you guys have any experience with the KOA down there, please let me know. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
briddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Always Learning

We travelled from Maryland to the Thousand Trails park in Clermont. It was a out 925 miles each way. I got 8.5-9.5mpg. I didn't do the math, but figured it was about $900 (I didn't check it later.) Our stay at the Thousand Trails park was prepaid (well, we pay our yearly dues for our zones), so it made it easy to stay there.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
Camper Less Camping

FYI
If your wanting to camp at the Fort during their peak season...you have to book just about a year in advance...that's been our experience

Old 02-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #10

We noticed the lack of availability as well. Found that you have to play around with the dates a little bit. We just booked our trip last week for this summer, and when we first tried to book with 4 nights there were no spots were available. When we changed it to a 6 night stay, several spots became available. Headed there in June and looking forward to it. Kids have no idea yet and we don't plan on telling them till we are on the road.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by daavalanche View Post
Wow DDC, $378 one way. If it is not bad. I see that you have an Avalanche, what is your miles per gallon while towing?
Yes that is one way,being retired we take our time now on this kind of trip, only drive at 55/65 which really helps.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #12

Thumbs up

leaving for Disney feb. 19 really looking forward to fort wilderness. we booked a premium site to be closer to everything, we normally stay in a value resort but wanted to try the ft.wilderness experience
Allisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We just booked for august and got a AAA discount. I played around before booking and the cheap family rooms were gonna cost more than double what the fort is costing us. We are driving down from nc w/ the diesel getting on avg 11 mpg towing. So not to bad. For any questions about the fort and Disney be sure to visit Fort Fiends - Articles - Fort Fiends. They know everything there is to know about that place and then some. They even have video of every campsite in the place and can help you figure out if you want to request an area and if so how to do that. We just requested the 1300 loop, close to everything but not on top of everything. They fan even help you find cheaper golf cart rentals. I'm sure they can help you with your calculations. I can tell you I figured out it was less than $100 difference between preferred and premium sites for the week. We were gonna go preferred until we realized they were nearer the boats and farther from things like the pool so we went premium. Partial hookups are for tents and popups only per fort rules.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #14

We stayed 10 days at DW the week after Thanksgiving. Premium site. Loved it! Still get the perks of the hotels like early entry to parks. The boat or buses are quick and efficient. Sites can be tight for some of the bigger rigs. They do know how to cram them in. But overall it's the best campground I have ever stayed at. Even the tenting is first rate. I couldn't get a site online but called twice a day for a week. One day at a time I added to the reservation until I had the whole 10 days. A nice lady said people cancel all the time, 24/7. And they answer the phone 24/7 so you can check anytime. We went to universal and sea world too which are right down the road. Military ITT has great specials for Disney and universal if you are retired. Free sea world if you are active duty. One note.....the dog park is great but its a lloooooong way from the premium sites and there is no place to park around it. That was our only complaint.
Ford F250 4x4
Prime Time Crusader 320RLT Touring Edition
2013 days 7
Mpwelch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #15

Staying at Fort Wilderness is a great idea. It has always been exceptional experience.

I would recommend installing YP on your smart phone. Once you get past the east side of the bay at Pensacola fuel prices spike up almost all the way to I-75 corridor.

I installed YP on both the phone and the tablet. It made it easy to find the cheapest gas stations in the area. Further, with satellite and street view, I could check the approaches to fuel islands to see just how difficult they might be to use.
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by briddell View Post
...Going to break up the drive both ways and stay somewhere in GA. Probably Tifton or Valdosta.
If you stay overnight in Tifton, I highly suggest Agrirama. We stayed there overnight on a Florida trip and it is perfect for overnight. Pull in, someone comes to you to get your $20, and 24 hour security. Nothing fancy, just a great spot to stay overnight.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951
I would recommend installing YP on your smart phone. Once you get past the east side of the bay at Pensacola fuel prices spike up almost all the way to I-75 corridor.

I installed YP on both the phone and the tablet. It made it easy to find the cheapest gas stations in the area. Further, with satellite and street view, I could check the approaches to fuel islands to see just how difficult they might be to use.
Great tip! I use the Gas Buddy app and have found it to work great as well. Haven't used YP yet but will check it out.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
daydreaming about camping

When we budget our fuel cost into long haul trips I usually take the google map distance door to door, then multiply times 1.2 to figure in around town driving, detours etc. then the current fuel cost and again multiply times 1.2 as fuel costs vary and tend to go up, not down.

That gives us a good number to budget with, and it usually slightly high.

Last March we pulled to Pensacola Florida, curiously our MPG was higher than usual, but our around town driving was too, so it mostly evened out.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #19

We tow to the Fort about 1180 miles and I stop keeping track of gas after KY. I'm also a Fortfiends.net member, if you have any questions about the Fort, they'll have the answer!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #20

Went there in Nov. 2011. it was 2400 miles round trip. If I remeber corectly it was around $850!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote