Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #1

Door County Wisconsin - Suggestion Request

The DW would like to make a trip in August to Door county. A quick search on this site did not get much current data. We would love any suggestions on don't miss things to see or do in the area along with campground recommendations. We are Glampers more than campers, we prefer full hook up sites with concrete pad patios. We will be towing our Equinox so we will be mobile after we park. Thanks in advance, this site is awesome.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

Take a look here: https://www.doorcounty.com/stay/campground/ There are lots listed and they have links to visit the websites.

Though I live in south-central Wisconsin, I've never been to Door County so I can't recommend anything. I've heard it is a great place to camp and visit.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

We love Wagon Trail Campground. Outside part of the 500 series loop is wonderful, private sites. They have full hookup sites but those are not as nice. They have a pump-out service for a minimal charge too. Very nice people and the campground is perfectly clean, all the time. Laundry. You can walk to Rowleys Bay Resort for breakfast, coffee and pastries. They also have dinner and fish boils. Bar and story teller too. We sit outside, enjoy an adult beverage, listen to the story teller while enjoying the view of Newport State Park across the bay. Was at Rowleys Bay Resort last weekend.

Perfect location near Ellison Bay and Sister Bay but outside of the traffic. Really a perfect campground. Very close to everything.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:12 PM   #4

We go up there a couple times a year as it's only 1.5hrs away...actually headed up there on Thursday!

Not knowing what you like to do makes it tough to suggest things. Wineries are big up there. We like to go hand out at Whitefish Dunes as it's a beautiful park on Lake Michigan. Fish Creek is a great place to park and walk to everything such as shops, restraunts, the waterfront, etc. If you want to hang out on the bay side, Ephriam is a nice little stop. Wilsons Ice Cream parlor is delish and the piers are right across the street. Sisters Bay is another good bay side stop. They recently redid the park along the water and often have bands and festivals going on.

If your looking for something specific, let me know and ill try to offer ideas.

SOLD-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/ Max Trailering Package
willie1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #5

Make sure you go to Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant and Butik-in Door County, WI. Great food and the roof top goats are fun to watch.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie1280 View Post
We go up there a couple times a year as it's only 1.5hrs away...actually headed up there on Thursday!

Not knowing what you like to do makes it tough to suggest things. Wineries are big up there. We like to go hand out at Whitefish Dunes as it's a beautiful park on Lake Michigan. Fish Creek is a great place to park and walk to everything such as shops, restraunts, the waterfront, etc. If you want to hang out on the bay side, Ephriam is a nice little stop. Wilsons Ice Cream parlor is delish and the piers are right across the street. Sisters Bay is another good bay side stop. They recently redid the park along the water and often have bands and festivals going on.

If your looking for something specific, let me know and ill try to offer ideas.
We made reservations at Baileys Grove Campground. I have heard Ephriam is nice. We will probably try to find a fish boil. Hope to see a little change in the leaves. May go to Washington Island but we have got varied recommendation on that. Anything else you think that would be a don't miss we would appreciate. Thanks!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:28 AM   #7

Well hopefully your staying awhile because it'll be over a month before the leaves start changing.

I've heard good things about the fish boil in Fish Creek. As you come down the big hill into the main intersection, the place on the corner to your left is supposed to have a good one behind there. Not sure of the name of the place that actually has it though.

SOLD-2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 w/ Max Trailering Package
willie1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:45 AM   #8

Pretty much a fall ritual with us, after labor day. Rustic Timbers just north of Carlsville been a good spot and been there often. Wagon Trail CG is picturesque. Cana Island lighthouse, in Baily's Harbor on the L. Michigan side is interesting. Around Fish Creek you'll find the Penninsula Playhouse and some other local theater in Egg Harbor or Ephraim for an evening amusement. Charlie's Smokehouse in Gill's Rock for smoked fish, Bea's for a fresh pie if you are heading to the W. Island. The ferry to W.I. will cost you > $50 for 2 people and a car. I'm going up there in about 10 days to visit my bro. It's pretty laid back up there. There is a campground on the island. I don't think the camping fee is excessive but, the ferry cost will bring you to your senses if you are taking a RV across.
Lots of spots to spend your dough, winerys, cherry orchards , farm stands etc. Have fun
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door