Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #61

We just finished up a 4 month trip this past October that included the Mt. Rushmore area. We stayed 12 nights in Heartland RV Park in Hermosa, SD. This CG honors Passport which saved us a lot of money. Heartland was a very good CG and easy for us to get our 39' 5th wheel into and out of. It had full hook-up which were very well located. The staff were very friendly and helpful when we needed them. It was a good location to visit all of the local site such as Custer SP, which is really large and took us about three trips to really see. We also went to Mt. Rushmore which was kind of a let down. I would recommend Crazy Horse monument which was really nice. Devils tower was well worth the drive. Also get into all of the little towns in the area, there is a lot of history in those towns. Hope that you have the time to enjoy your trip.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #62

Great thread. My DW and I were "thinking" of taking a month off from mid July to mid August 2018 to see all that there is to see in So. Dakota. Almost 1500 from Buffalo, NY to Mt. Rushmore. Reading the thread I'm wondering if we ran out of time to try and do it this year during those months. Because of work it would be hard to put off until after Labor Day. Great suggestions on places to stay.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #63

We've only been faced with a drive through Chicago once, when we were in Madison WI on our way home after a trip out west in 2010 (the same trip during which we stayed at Rafter J). We opted to take the SS Badger ferry across the lake from Manitowoc WI to Ludington MI.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #64

Well DW and talked it over and we think we are going to visit South Dakota from July 13 departure staying to the end of the month. We figure that'll give us plenty of time to get there/return based on 3 1/2 days ride each way from Buffalo, NY, almost 1500 miles each way. After New Years we'll use this thread to start narrowing out a campground(s) to use as base camp while seeing the sights outlined here. Also appreciate the tips on planning to drive around Chicago. While driving probably will use RVParky to find campgrounds or Wal Marts in route for the overnights. Any suggestions more than welcome. Happy New Year campers!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #65

Custer SP has just had a fire that burned 85 sq miles, park reopen the 18 of Dec. All I know is what I have read, no first hand knowledge.
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:43 PM   #66

Well its been awhile since anyone has posted on this thread, but from the great suggestions my DW and I have booked Big Pine CG for July 16 for five nights. Great suggestions on all of the sights to see. Can't wait! Couple of questions; using Google Maps there is a suggested route to drop down to I80 taking it past Chicago then heading back north to hook back up to 90. Is this a good route? Also, heading out to SD I'm giving ourselves only 3 1/2 days from the Buffalo, NY area, or roughly 1500 miles driving our 35 ft. class A with toad on a dolly. We plan to spend about 7 days around the Black Hills area, leaving us 8 or 9 days on the return. We planned things this way so we can have a more relaxing meandering trip home. The question is, what is there to stop and see, maybe spend a night, between South Dakota and maybe Ohio. In other words, all of the places we will be blowing by on our way out. Any suggestions would be great, sorta like this thread already.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #67

depending on your routing, I80/90 west. STAY ON I80 after the plot.
you can, like i do. go as far as Iowa and Des lines. take 380 north to I 90 and fly like the wind.
Stevekbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #68

SD Area

Sounds like a great trip!
Couple of items;
Most of the Wal-Mart's in the west do not allow camping in their lots, both by choice & local regs.
Not sure about SD…

One great stop to make in SD is the Minute Man Missile site museum. You can look down the silo on your own but if you want to tour the control facility you MUST make resers. Tour is free & done by the park service, well worth the time. Book now!!!
A day spent in Deadwood is also very interesting, plus you can visit the graves of Wild Bill & Calamity Jane.
Enjoy!
Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekbk View Post
depending on your routing, I80/90 west. STAY ON I80 after the plot.
you can, like i do. go as far as Iowa and Des lines. take 380 north to I 90 and fly like the wind.
I believe you meant to say take I-80 to Des Moines and take I-35 north to I-90. I-380 goes north from near Iowa City to Waterloo and ends at US20, then becomes US218. You then have to fight (lots of lights) through Waterloo on US218 which then goes over to I-35 and then north to I-90. US218 is 4 lane through Waterloo all the way to I-35.

I'd suggest US 20 through Iowa, follow I-380 to Waterloo, then stay on US20 and pickup I-29 in Sioux City then north to 90. It's 4 lane from Waterloo to near Early Iowa and 65MPH, so you can make good time, then it's mixed 2/4 lane to Sioux City as they are widening. It is a good scenic route through Iowa. The Sioux City end has a few lights, but it's easy to get onto I-29.

Good truck stops in Sioux Falls and Waterloo to get fuel - easy on-off. There are other places that are also easy on-off on US20. Not so much on I-380 through Cedar Rapids.
Vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote