Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #1

Cool Garrison, ND to Maryland...

Hi all,
We're planning the last legs of our summer trip, and I've reached a point of overwhelm; I want our trip to be efficient, yes, but beautiful is also important to me. I'm using RV trip wizard and it's amazing, but I welcome, and perhaps prefer, personal recommendations.

We're looking at 6-8 hour days.

We'll be taking I-94 across MN, hoping to stop in the St. Paul-ish area - currently routed to Willow River SP, then possibly head on to Indiana Dunes NP, Dunewood Campground (is it worth it?).

From there we'll be headed toward Mount Airy, MD, which is home. Thinking one stop on the way, and I have us currently routed to Keystone SP in PA.

All that said.... I know people here have spots they absolutely love and recommend!
So... any thoughts on any of this?

TLDR: The outgoing trip synopsis
DH planned the outgoing trip until we get to SD, but I haven't even looked at his stops yet. Basically, we're going from home to OH, then MN, then sister's house in SD- from there to Jackson Hole (yay!), to sister's house in Bozeman, to Medora ND, to sister's house in Garrison... which leads us to my question above, lol.

'21 Dynamax Force HD 37BH
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #2

If it were me, I'd skip the boring southern MN, Chicago land, IN trek, and instead head over the upper peninsula of MI. It'll add a little bit of time to your trip, but not much, and it's a much more interesting ride than going the other way IMO.

Mackinaw City is a pretty fun place to visit, albeit quite touristy. A spot we really enjoyed camping along the UP was Brimley State Park. Here's a picture from last year there:

Old 06-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #3

I would recommend you go 694 around Minneapolis/St. Paul, then to 36/Stillwater, over the new bridge then catch 35 to Willow River. There are 3 roundabouts getting onto 35 but they are fairly large, shouldn't be a problem. Avoid 94 through main part of the cities and anything to do with 35W through Minneapolis or 35E through St. Paul unless you have a TOAD and are driving that. Narrow and lots of traffic.

I've only been east of the MN/WI border once on 94/90 through the Dells and I don't recall any real concerns. I assume you are going that way to IN. Anything else east I can't help with

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #4

I will say I have heard similar to what GravelRider says, that route is very pretty. Will add some time to your drive home but might be worth it.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #5

Forget about the Indian Dunes NP for camping. They are booked solid for the summer.
Powellr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
2016 GTS Sunseeker 2430S

I would agree with the Michigan UP route. We avoid the Chicago area as much as we can.
Gizmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #7

I would take either highway 200 or us #2 to Minnesota and stop at Itasca State Park were the Mississippi river begins then Duluth to Wisconsin and the Up of Michigan to Mackinaw then south.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #8

Dont know if you prefer being on interstates, but if you want a different route, I, also would recommend Rte 2 across Mn, Wi and the Upper Peninsula of Mi. A few recomendations on campgrounds. If you dont mind dry camping Two Lakes NF campground near Drummond, Wi., sits on 2 pristine lakes within the campground, Bay View State Forest campground which is located right on Lake Huron with 24 spacious sites and a beautiful setting. As you get closer to Md., we like Rocky Gap State Park in Western Md. Stay in pet loop which has electric and spacious sites. We used to live in Monrovia Md but retired to coastal NC.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #9

As an ex-Minnesota resident use US 2 to get thru MN. Go thru the UP of Michigan. Much better scenery that way.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #10

Wow. You guys are awesome. I really appreciate all of the suggestions- and it makes me grin that you are all in agreement about the UP, lol. We will be towing our Explorer- so long as that's not an issue (which it doesn't sound like it is)- then we'll be going the UP route if I can get DH to agree.
Thank you so much!

Old 06-07-2021, 06:40 AM   #11

Great to hear. Update us when you decide where you'll be camping along the UP.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:59 AM   #12

Not sure of your time frame, but BLM is burning Minneapolis again. Probably not a idea to go that direction.
curteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by curteric View Post
Not sure of your time frame, but BLM is burning Minneapolis again. Probably not a idea to go that direction.
Why do you have to stir things up. This is total nonsense so please stop.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by curteric View Post

[emoji106]
Squatchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 05:39 PM   #15

I just realized that I never got back to you very friendly people! We totally took your advice and went home across the upper peninsula... WOW. What an incredible drive that was! We spent time on 4 of the 5 Great Lakes... and now we've seen them all!
THANK YOU for the advice! We had an amazing trip!