Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #1

Heading To Crater of Diamonds State Park From Austin

Looking for suggestions for stopovers between Dallas and Arkansas. We are a family of four with a 3 and 5 year old. If anyone has traveled this route and can suggest neat sights or parks I would love to hear from you!
purduecmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #2

We drove there last fall 2011 and had a BLAST. At the time our daughter was just 2yrs old. We drove from Rio Grande Vally all the way up so our route was different. We drove up to Huntsville and stayed at the state park. We then drove on 190 to Livinstong, then North to Lufkin, then Nacadoches and then right to get on 59 and wen all the way up on 59 to Texarkana. Honestly, the whole drive up from Hunstville to Crater was beautiful. Texas has a very beautiful east coast. I can't really offer much insight as to where to stop. Once we got into Arkansas, the rest stops were very pretty and we just parked there and ate. If you have time to kill, I would strongly recommend Hot Springs. My wife and I really enjoyed that city. Other places we RV'ed were Lake Catherine S.P and we drove up to Mt. Magazine S.P.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #3

You can see my gallery here. Most of the pics on page 2 and 3 were at crater. I didn't take much when we were actually digging for diamonds because we were getting dirty lol.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Site Team

I take it you are driving I-30. The kids and I liked stopping in Texarkana for the photo-op at the Federal Building/Post Office on State Line Avenue.

They have a place outside where Arkansas and Texas meet, to take your pic with one foot in each state. It's neat to also look on both sides of the street, how one side is Texas and the other is Arkansas. There are also interesting historical statues within eyeshot of where you are standing.

We came thru on a Sunday morning and there was no traffic at all. You could have parked ten semi's in the area. Not sure how much traffic there is in the week, but according to the article in Roadside America, the reviewer said there wasn't much even in the middle of the week.

Half-n-Half Post Office Photo Op, Texarkana, Arkansas

Personally, I like these little offbeat things, probably more than the main tourist stuff.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Site Team

Don't know if you are pulling/taking an RV to Murfreesboro, but I remember when we went...that the Sonic up there had places for the long rigs to pull up and order.

It was the first Sonic I had been to that had this feature...........and being I have a son that refuses to eat hardly anything......I always have to visit the area Sonic's and McDonald's when traveling.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote