Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #1

Hot Springs to Gulf Shores

My husband and I are leaving northern MO the 18th for Alabama. We will make stops in Branson then to Hot Springs. Our question is the best route when leaving Hot Springs for Alabama??? If anyone has a good route, please respond.
Master Tow Dolly
Davison206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #2

My wife and I are leaving the 22nd from south of Kansas City to Gulf Shores to spend Thanksgiving week on the beach. Unfortunately no travel trailer going with us but a beautiful condo right on the water. We will be going a different route than you (down to Springfield, over to Jonesboro, AR; Memphis, TN; Jackson, MS to Gulf Shores. Have fun and be safe!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

We will be towing our Windjammer 3008w with us and staying 3 - 4 months at Emmaus RV Park at Summerdale, AL. It is a trip of firsts for us: first time away from home and grandkids for that long, first time to Alabama and first time spending winter in a warmer climate. We are looking forward to the adventure.
Master Tow Dolly
Davison206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #4

That's funny--we have a Windjammer 3008W as well. I wanted to take it on this trip but my daughter and a friend will be coming down from Atlanta to spend the week with us so we decided a condo might be a better arrangement. Three women fighting for the trailer bathroom might have been a little much!

You might look at taking highway 7 south out of Hot Springs down to I-20 and then head east to Jackson, MS. Then work your way over to Mobile and down to Gulf Shores.

We might have to swing by and say hello while we're down there.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 11-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

No good way to get there! Last year we decided the LONG way was better than the back roads. From Memphis took I-55 south to I-10 east...the roads are REALLY bad on I-55 in southern Mississippi.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

Now that they’ve cleaned up the mess from the BP oil disaster, you’re going to love the beaches in the Gulf Shores area.

Clean up crews heading out to clean up the beaches in 2011.
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0365 - Copy.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	42506

Area's that had already been cleaned were beautiful.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7148 - Copy.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	42507

We’ll be at Island Retreat RV Park in Gulf Shores for the month of March.

Be sure to eat at Lambert’s Café in Foley, AL at least once while you’re there. Plenty of good food and it’s the “Home of the Throwed Rolls.” Don’t worry if you don’t catch the first roll, they’ll throw you another one.

Also in Foley there is a train museum. The real treasure in the museum is the model train layout they have. This is the most extensive model train layout I’ve ever seen. If you visit be sure to go on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday between the hours of 10 AM to 2 PM. That’s when the volunteers operate the model train layout. It is AWESOME. Many features of the layout are animated such as the firehouse, burger drive-in, car wash, etc. Even my wife who doesn’t care about model trains loved the layout.

Also if you drive to the west on hwy 180 along Mobile Bay you’ll find Fort Morgan. You can take a self-guided tour of the civil war fort. There is also a ferry that crosses Mobile Bay to Dauphine Island where you can take a self-guided tour of Fort Gaines. Both forts are worth the visit, doubly so for anyone who is a civil war buff. This is the area where Admiral Farragut gave the famous command “Damn the torpedos—full speed ahead!”

I hope you have a great trip.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #7

Oakman,
We went to the train depot yesterday and their layout is fantastic. They had up to 5 trains running at one time and they showed us all the animated features they have built into the display. We talked with one of the gentlemen working there for about 45 minutes and you could just sense the pride and love for the railroads. Great visit for anyone in this area.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #8

I'm glad you enjoyed the model train layout in Foley. IMO that is truly a hidden gem in the Gulf Shores area. I'm surprised Foley doesn't promote the museum and model trains better. BTW, my current avatar is a photo taken on the beach in Gulf Shores, AL.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davison206 View Post
My husband and I are leaving northern MO the 18th for Alabama. We will make stops in Branson then to Hot Springs. Our question is the best route when leaving Hot Springs for Alabama??? If anyone has a good route, please respond.
Missed your original post, so this is probably OBE. As you have probably found out by now, most of the interstate system in AL is pretty dorked up LOTS of construction around Birmingham (once complete it will be great until then grrrrrr)

Honestly? I find the 2 lane blacktops (e.g. US 431/US72 et al) to be in better shape than the interstates. Our rest stops on I65, 59 & 20 all have free dump stations FYI, and are probably th only reason you need to be on the interstates
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

Be sure to eat at Lambert’s Café in Foley, AL at least once while you’re there. Plenty of good food and it’s the “Home of the Throwed Rolls.” Don’t worry if you don’t catch the first roll, they’ll throw you another one.

Also in Foley there is a train museum. The real treasure in the museum is the model train layout they have. This is the most extensive model train layout I’ve ever seen.
We ate at Lambert's last time we were at the GC - was interesting. DW learned she doesn't like okra (yankee!!). The boiled shrimp at the Flora-Bama was my favorite. Plus the atmosphere there is unique. The Mullet Toss is coming up in April. Went one year - that was a pretty wild event. Must be getting old though, would rather go there on a Tuesday afternoon now and miss the rowdy crowds.

A waitress at a little place in Gulf Shores also recommended the Happy Hour at the Orange Beach Marina to DW and I when we were there a few years ago. That was really nice. It was like 2pm-4pm or something - frozen drinks were like $2. They had a great deck that looked out over the docks with million dollar boats coming in and out. Just relaxed for the afternoon and found out what a Bushwacker is. Waitress came over before the specials ended to see if we wanted to order any more drinks. Had to turn her down - wanted to be able to get out there while still upright

Would love to get back there soon. I like Gulf Shores/Orange Beach better than Florida. Although the Gulf keeps getting more and more built up every year.

Will definitely try to check out the trains when do make down there.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote