Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_M_H View Post
I lived not too far off of I-10 in Southern Arizona, near Benson. My information is about a decade old, but in my experience, I'd worry more more about the meth-heads. Even they were more a nuisance than anything else. My parents and sisters have done the I-10 Tucson to Tallahassee leg more than a few times and the only complaint I've heard from them was "it's a long and boring drive."
We travel a lot on I10 (and many other freeways). Don't know that I have ever seen a "meth-head" or would know one if I saw one. Care to elaborate?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We travel a lot on I10 (and many other freeways). Don't know that I have ever seen a "meth-head" or would know one if I saw one. Care to elaborate?
I'll share this blog article.

https://granitemountainbhc.com/blog/...-still-strong/

I remember that Arizona was running a big campaign to try to help back in 2012. Don't get me wrong, it's a terrible epidemic. It seemed to disproportionately affect the part Cochise county where I lived.

Let me share my experience:
We had a homeless encampment outside of our office in Sierra Vista where the majority of the people I interacted with were addicts. (How do I know? https://americanaddictioncenters.org...signs-symptoms). Don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to the people that suffer from addiction. It's is a disease.

To have random people coming out of the dry wash off of Fry Blvd asking to bum a cigarette, or for money, no matter what time of day you're outside becomes a nuisance.
K_M_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
There is also work on I-10 west of Houston. In places the road is a washboard so just take it slow and easy. It only lasts about 50 miles or so off and on.
Over the last 6 decades of traveling the US I've found that there's construction all over during summer months. Same for rough road which is, I suppose, will be where the next construction project will be.

I find that there is lots of current highway information available on the various state DOT/Highway Dept websites and I make it a habit to check them before entering the next state.

Also, navigation apps like Google Maps and Waze are pretty good at showing congestion, construction, and accidents.

As for personal safety on I-10, it can arguably be more dangerous to drive on interstates through major cities far, far away from our Southern border. I-5 through Seattle and Portland are the first to come to my mind.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_M_H View Post
I'll share this blog article.

https://granitemountainbhc.com/blog/...-still-strong/

I remember that Arizona was running a big campaign to try to help back in 2012. Don't get me wrong, it's a terrible epidemic. It seemed to disproportionately affect the part Cochise county where I lived.

Let me share my experience:

We had a homeless encampment outside of our office in Sierra Vista where the majority of the people I interacted with were addicts. (How do I know? https://americanaddictioncenters.org...signs-symptoms). Don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to the people that suffer from addiction. It's is a disease.

To have random people coming out of the dry wash off of Fry Blvd asking to bum a cigarette, or for money, no matter what time of day you're outside becomes a nuisance.
My point is that you usually don't see homeless types or whatever your definition of a meth-head is, around tourist areas or freeway travel centers. Bad for business. I'm sure there are exceptions, but we haven't run into any that are a problem in our travels. Of course we are picky about where we stop and where we stay when traveling.
We stay about 2 months out of the year in Tombstone and surrounding area. We usually only go into Sierra Vista for the hardware store. Haven't seen any meth-heads that I'm aware of, but then we avoid bad areas of town wherever we go.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:41 PM   #25

Quote:
My point is that you usually don't see homeless types or whatever your definition of a meth-head is, around tourist areas or freeway travel centers. Bad for business. I'm sure there are exceptions, but we haven't run into any that are a problem in our travels. Of course we are picky about where we stop and where we stay when traveling.
We stay about 2 months out of the year in Tombstone and surrounding area. We usually only go into Sierra Vista for the hardware store. Haven't seen any meth-heads that I'm aware of, but then we avoid bad areas of town wherever we go.
As I said earlier, I CURENTLY live in this area of SE Arizona and you are correct, most people will not see these people other than sometimes hanging around the side of grocery stores, sometimes looking for handouts near freeway exits ... just like everywhere else in America.

Besides, the OP was asking about border areas and any related problems there might be. There are signs on I-15 in California warning drivers to beware of people running across 6 lanes of traffic, but they've been there for at least 20 years. It doesn't matter where you drive, you should always remain vigilant. I'm more likely to hit a deer or
coyote than people out here.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #26

Quote:

It seems you live a very sheltered existence if you think there’s not “meth head” problems in the areas you inhabit and while we are at it try telling the land owners/ranchers/towns on the Texas border their drama is exaggerated I suggest you do more research before making such statements. As far as the op as long as they stay on the major interstates through Texas everything thing should be fine other than continuous construction.
kalopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:07 PM   #27
Herschel

Quote:
2 good ways around El Paso (or El Pisso as we call it).
I10 to 375(North side of I10) to 54 to 213 to 404 and back onto I10. This is the way we always go.
They have also completed the southern section of loop 375 (turn leftoff of I10 westbound) that allows you to miss the majority of El Paso and has less navigation between roads. They call it the Border Highway and there are toll signs, but they will not (and won't) be activated.
OP here. Thanks to everyone thus far. I might give this bypass a try just for the heck of it. Again, not trying to slip into other topics. Just wanted to know if the unusual activity around the southern border was "spilling over" into adjacent countryside that a traveler might need to know about. Looks like all systems are go for I-10, but I might still try the I-20 down into the I-10 and give this little bypass a try. We can hit family and a couple of friends along the way and see the museum in Weatherford. At least that is the notion I am pondering the most today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210809_111233.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	271898   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210809_110056_resized.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	271899  
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 05:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalopp View Post
It seems you live a very sheltered existence if you think there’s not “meth head” problems in the areas you inhabit and while we are at it try telling the land owners/ranchers/towns on the Texas border their drama is exaggerated I suggest you do more research before making such statements.
Wow? Get out and about much, away from the TV over-reporting?
I don't deny there are homeless and drug related problems everywhere, but normal citizens don't usually have to deal with such in their day to day life.
And our son has been a Border Patrol agent for 23 years. He tells us exactly what is going on and a lot of what happens on the border is wildly over exaggerated due to politics. And our family has a large farm 1 mile from a BP check in southern NM, so we have a pretty good idea what is up.
So take your own advice.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Wow? Get out and about much, away from the TV over-reporting?
I don't deny there are homeless and drug related problems everywhere, but normal citizens don't usually have to deal with such in their day to day life.
And our son has been a Border Patrol agent for 23 years. He tells us exactly what is going on and a lot of what happens on the border is wildly over exaggerated due to politics. And our family has a large farm 1 mile from a BP check in southern NM, so we have a pretty good idea what is up.
So take your own advice.

Wow must have hit a nerve! Some people only want to hear and see what they want to hear and say but down here in south Texas we have a problem with illegals and I stand by that statement I see it daily I do get out and about a bunch. Tell your son thanks for his service in the Border Patrol but he should transfer down here to the southern border not much going on up there on the northern border if he thinks it’s exaggerated over politics they need the help. Happy Trails to you, enjoy your families 10 ac ranchett but it’s hot and dry down here this spring!
kalopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalopp View Post
Wow must have hit a nerve! Some people only want to hear and see what they want to hear and say but down here in south Texas we have a problem with illegals and I stand by that statement I see it daily I do get out and about a bunch. Tell your son thanks for his service in the Border Patrol but he should transfer down here to the southern border not much going on up there on the northern border if he thinks it’s exaggerated over politics they need the help. Happy Trails to you, enjoy your families 10 ac ranchett but it’s hot and dry down here this spring!
LOL!!!!! Amazing.... Another one for the ignore list
Old 04-25-2022, 06:24 PM   #31

Use the bypass loop around El Paso. 404 to Trans Mountain. You'll avoid major construction in El Paso. I just used it two weeks ago. Camped at Cattlerest RV resort i. Wilcox $20 as a Harvest host member with 50Amp and water. Saloon on site😊. As for the I8 vs I10 the 8 has a major hot climb before dropping into San Diego. The 10 gets you to Riverside with no major climbs.

Best Travels
ChuckvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:27 PM   #32

I-10

I'd be more worried about Escondido
Kenniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:47 PM   #33

Travel armed and be aware of your surroundings.

:-)
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenniff View Post
I'd be more worried about Escondido
What Kenniff said. We live on South Padre Island, TX 30 miles north of Mexico...zero problems. Travel around the Rio Grande Valley all the time with no issue.
Dcowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #35

We traveled from Jacksonville, FL to near Tucson, AZ this past December using I10 exclusively except the I12 bypass around New Orleans. Problem areas as noted were more due to construction zones which in Texas were outrageous in spots. Everything is big in Texas and some of the frontage road/construction bypass roads were at least 10 miles in length. We had a few instances of coming over an incline and throwing on the breaks where 200 trucks, cars, etc. were at a standstill. Hopefully, things have improved by now. We hit Houston after rush hour with no problems. Even San Antonio wasn't an effort either. Arizona on I10 is safe as mentioned throughout. We live 20 miles south of I10 and 20 miles north of the border. Although we have "runners" coming from the border towns with Mexico carrying migrants and drivers getting paid 2k per person they have nearly always been stopped before getting to I10. There are major Border Patrol stops before getting to Benson from the south which is the southern extent of I10 to Mexico here in AZ. If you decide on taking I8 vice 10 through western AZ and into CA then in some cases the Interstate is very close to the International border. As mentioned previously no problems were noted and quite frankly no need whatsoever to worry traveling the Interstates here in the US. Biggest problem might be road rage warriors and folks who think RV's can stop on a dime by pulling right in front of you and slamming on the breaks.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:39 PM   #36

I live in San Diego County just north of Escondido, and went to Tucson and back last month, which I do about once a year. on I-8 which turns into I-10 in Arizona. I'm not sure about I-10 in Texas, but the 8 runs right on the border for a long while, and presumably you will end up on 8 since that's shorter than going to Riverside on the 10 and coming down to Esco.

Honestly, you will probably not notice the border or any affects of the border area while you're on I-8, it's not much different than an interstage in Kansas. If you were on a local 2-lane road in the middle of the night, might be a different story, but you aren't likely to do that. 300 miles a day is a good plan - that makes Phoenix-Esco an easy day, or Tucson-Esco is a long one day, 400+ miles, but I do it in one day.

There are immigration and agriculture checkpoints near the border but they are often unmanned or just asking what you are carrying - hint, don't bring fruits and produce into California.

There are not a lot of (nice) RV camps along that route, except in Tucson, Phoenix, and surprisingly Yuma, so plan carefully. I think Yuma has more RV spots per capita than any place else in the country. And gas up in Yuma - price of a gallon goes up a dollar as soon as you drive across the border.
MWKingSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWKingSD View Post
I live in San Dieg
There are not a lot of (nice) RV camps along that route, except in Tucson, Phoenix, and surprisingly Yuma, so plan carefully. I think Yuma has more RV spots per capita than any place else in the country. And gas up in Yuma - price of a gallon goes up a dollar as soon as you drive across the border.

Come to Kermit Tx I think we might have more RV than homes thanks to the sand boom
Old 04-25-2022, 08:52 PM   #38
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckvB View Post
Use the bypass loop around El Paso. 404 to Trans Mountain. You'll avoid major construction in El Paso. I just used it two weeks ago. Camped at Cattlerest RV resort i. Wilcox $20 as a Harvest host member with 50Amp and water. Saloon on site😊. As for the I8 vs I10 the 8 has a major hot climb before dropping into San Diego. The 10 gets you to Riverside with no major climbs.

Best Travels
Thanks. Yes, that 4,000 ft climb west of El Centro on I-8 really caught me of guard back in 2018 the only time I came through there. Last year we came out I-20 and up to I-40 through New Mexico and Arizona. "Enjoyed" 108-degree heat when we camped overnight in Newberry Springs. I think despite having a better tow vehicle I will do the I-10 into Riverside and down to Escondido on I-15 so I miss that "I-8 roller coaster". Pic is taking refugee from the heat in the pool at the campground in Newberry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210816_163528.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	272141  
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma26RLSS View Post
My wife and I are planning to tow our Puma travel trailer from Orlando to Escondido, CA in August, returning in October. We are wondering just how normal/safe is travel though areas of I-10 that run close to the border with Mexico or are in more remote areas. Would love to hear from folks that live in those areas or have traveled through them recently. We travel a max of 300 miles a day and like to stop every fourth day for a day of rest, so we would be spending a spell in those areas as we travel through. I am hoping not to get into the political piece of this. I just want to know about safety/unintended "drama", etc. Last year we made a similar trip, but gradually made our way north to I-20 and then on to I-40 because of friends we want to see along the way. This year we imagine a more "express" trip out and back. thoughts/experiences?
The only section that is really close to Mexico is NW Texas / SE New Mexico. I doubt you will have any problems. I wouldn’t go boondocking in the desert in that area, but driving through, getting fuel, camping in campgrounds, shouldn’t be any problem whatsoever.

Be aware of your surroundings, lock your doors, be prepared to defend yourself. But, these are things you should be doing no matter where you drive/camp.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:28 PM   #40

Thumbs up Orlando to Southern New Mexico

Drove from Orlando to Southern New Mexico in December with no issues other than construction, not sure you can miss that on any route. Drive through El Paso at a non-rush hour period and you will not have any problems. Border Highway (375 South) is best route. You will have several Border Patrol check points along the way, no big deal unless you are carrying illegals or drugs. Been on I-10/I-20 through Tucson and then I-8 to Yuma, no problems just not much to see, just make sure your cooling system is working and replace coolant if not done recently along with fresh oil change and you will have a great trip. Be aware wind is more of a factor on your trip than the border. Enjoy!
FMCA Member F445552
Good Sam Life Member
Las Cruces, New Mexico
rickpb is offline   Reply With Quote