Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2022, 12:29 AM   #41

I live in Phoenix and I get that you're wary of the climb on the I8 west of El Centro. We have nearly the same set up as you. I believe you'll be fine but if you just don't want to do it, may I suggest that you take the I8 after you get through Tucson then exit at Gila Bend and take SR85 to the I10. You'll bypass Phoenix altogether.

Boondockers since 1982
Jodiwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:26 AM   #42
Site Team

We've pulled our 27ft TT over the I8 west climb, from El Centro to San Diego, a number of times. It's no big deal, compared to crossing the Sierras, Rockies or Siskiyous. I personally don't get the concern unless you have an underpowered tow vehicle. My F150 3.5 Ecoboost barely breaks a sweat.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:18 AM   #43

I'm noting the size of your trailer and the size of your truck. I started with a Subaru and a pop up 18 years ago. We went to a 21 footer with a Ram 1500 and finally a 28 footer with a new 1500.

I finally got fed up pushing limits on payload and those very occasional times when I wasn't sure what was in charge...the truck...or the trailer... I stumbled upon a new Ram 2500 at a good price and good trade in (the last of the good deals apparently) with the 6.4 Hemi that checked my boxes and now don't have to worry about anything...FINALLY... AND, I don't have to deal with Diesel issues/maintenance...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:11 AM   #44

Exclamation I-10

Check your phone! When we traveled on I-10, our phone picked up a Mexican tower and AT&T attempted to charge international rates for the day!
Aljan913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:56 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljan913 View Post
Check your phone! When we traveled on I-10, our phone picked up a Mexican tower and AT&T attempted to charge international rates for the day!
That's a new one!
Lived within rock throwing distance of the Mexican border most of my life and have never heard of that happening to anybody, and my nephew's all use AT&T.
I did have that happen on the Canadian border around Niagara Falls, but my phone always alerted me and asked if I wanted to do that.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #46

I-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That's a new one!
Lived within rock throwing distance of the Mexican border most of my life and have never heard of that happening to anybody, and my nephew's all use AT&T.
I did have that happen on the Canadian border around Niagara Falls, but my phone always alerted me and asked if I wanted to do that.
AT&T Free Msg: Hi! We see you're traveling abroad and using your phone without an international feature so we're adding AT&T International Day Pass for you. For $10/day, you get unlimited talk/text and the data included in your AT&T plan. Pay only for the days used abroad with a max of 10 daily fees per line per bill. Add'l lines used the same day are $5/day. Details at att.com/IDPTerms (free view). Reply NO (free reply) to remove IDP; standard int'l rates will apply to use: $2.05/MB, $2/min, $0.50/msg sent, $1.30/photo or video msg sent.

This was the message from AT&T I received traveling on I-10.
Fortunately, my wife was driving and I saw the message. I contacted AT&T and had the charge dismissed. How many people don’t see the message and get charged an extra $10 when they are still in the USA?
Get Outlook for iOS
Aljan913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljan913 View Post
AT&T Free Msg: Hi! We see you're traveling abroad and using your phone without an international feature so we're adding AT&T International Day Pass for you. For $10/day, you get unlimited talk/text and the data included in your AT&T plan. Pay only for the days used abroad with a max of 10 daily fees per line per bill. Add'l lines used the same day are $5/day. Details at att.com/IDPTerms (free view). Reply NO (free reply) to remove IDP; standard int'l rates will apply to use: $2.05/MB, $2/min, $0.50/msg sent, $1.30/photo or video msg sent.

This was the message from AT&T I received traveling on I-10.

Fortunately, my wife was driving and I saw the message. I contacted AT&T and had the charge dismissed. How many people don’t see the message and get charged an extra $10 when they are still in the USA?

Get Outlook for iOS
Do you travel with roaming enabled? I have honestly never had that happen and we travel I10 constantly. We just stayed at Pancho Villa state park which is right on the border and didn't have any phone service switching. Makes me think it is your phone settings or something else you need to set with iphone. My group mainly uses android.
Now you are making me look further into this
Old 04-26-2022, 10:20 AM   #48
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpb View Post
Drove from Orlando to Southern New Mexico in December with no issues other than construction, not sure you can miss that on any route. Drive through El Paso at a non-rush hour period and you will not have any problems. Border Highway (375 South) is best route. You will have several Border Patrol check points along the way, no big deal unless you are carrying illegals or drugs. Been on I-10/I-20 through Tucson and then I-8 to Yuma, no problems just not much to see, just make sure your cooling system is working and replace coolant if not done recently along with fresh oil change and you will have a great trip. Be aware wind is more of a factor on your trip than the border. Enjoy!
Appreciate the advice. A previous poster mentioned a hwy 404 alternative way north of El Paso. Do you have experience with that?
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Do you travel with roaming enabled? I have honestly never had that happen and we travel I10 constantly. We just stayed at Pancho Villa state park which is right on the border and didn't have any phone service switching. Makes me think it is your phone settings or something else you need to set with iphone. My group mainly uses android.
Now you are making me look further into this
We've received similar messages from Verizon several times, usually on I-8 between Yuma and San Diego. I've also received it almost every time I land at the San Diego Airport. Simply message Verizon with a screenshot of my location and a polite message saying I won't pay since I am in the US.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We've pulled our 27ft TT over the I8 west climb, from El Centro to San Diego, a number of times. It's no big deal, compared to crossing the Sierras, Rockies or Siskiyous. I personally don't get the concern unless you have an underpowered tow vehicle. My F150 3.5 Ecoboost barely breaks a sweat.
We've also driven that route several times. The climb is not the problem, it is the relentless winds on the long, steep downhill slope that demands you stay alert (as you should be anyway.)

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:51 PM   #51
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
We've also driven that route several times. The climb is not the problem, it is the relentless winds on the long, steep downhill slope that demands you stay alert (as you should be anyway.)
Roger, understand totally. Got the same tow vehicle; not worried about that. Alas, I have lived in and driven most of my life in Florida and Georgia. By the time I drive all the way out there, I am not looking for more challenges. I work hard at avoiding high elevations especially ones that are relatively sudden or steep. So, I'll be doing the 10 to Riverside. It's just a preference thing. I am 77; hopefully you can give me some slack on this.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:10 AM   #52
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma26RLSS View Post
No, we live in Orlando, hence the lack of local knowledge. appreciate the reassurance. I did take I-10 (with I-12) and, finally, I-8 back in 2018 when pulling with my 2007 Ram 1500/5.7 Hemi. Was caught off guard by the 4,000 ft rise, I think west of El Centro. Pulled it, but it made me nervous. Hence, considering the I-10 into I-15 this time. Now pulling my 7.900-lbs Puma with 2020 F-150 with 3.5 Ecoboost and max tow package. Ought to be able to do it, I know. Just a tad too much drama for my old (77) brain after the long drive out from Florida. Looking for "easy" and minimum drama where I can find it, obviously. Reason for trip is to support family member in Escondido with significant health issues. That adds to wanting smooth sailing, as well.
Which tows best ?
Old 04-27-2022, 02:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Appreciate the advice. A previous poster mentioned a hwy 404 alternative way north of El Paso. Do you have experience with that?
Hwy 404 is a short cut, however, the on ramp and off ramp at I-10 are under construction. I believe you won't have any problem there but I haven't been down there for several months. We use that road as a short cut going to the El Paso airport.

As a side note the South 375 is shorter through El Paso than going the Northern route then US 54, State 213 and finally State 404. If you miss the US 54 and continue on 375 it goes up a the mountain and down to I-10. You would not be a happy camper going over the mountain at that point.
FMCA Member F445552
Good Sam Life Member
Las Cruces, New Mexico
rickpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:04 PM   #54

Here is the bypass map:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...in-156542.html
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:33 PM   #55

We just went through there it was ok, no issues. You can see the wall and Juarez, but again no issues.

Van Horn RV park was nice BTW and has a restaurant that isn't bad if you're looking for a place to overnight.
Old 04-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpb View Post
Hwy 404 is a short cut, however, the on ramp and off ramp at I-10 are under construction. I believe you won't have any problem there but I haven't been down there for several months. We use that road as a short cut going to the El Paso airport.

As a side note the South 375 is shorter through El Paso than going the Northern route then US 54, State 213 and finally State 404. If you miss the US 54 and continue on 375 it goes up a the mountain and down to I-10. You would not be a happy camper going over the mountain at that point.
Was just there. The only problem you might have with the construction at the I10/404 ramps is perhaps waiting through a few lights due to traffic backup depending on when you go through.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:02 PM   #57

Desert grades tho

Quote:
No, we live in Orlando, hence the lack of local knowledge. appreciate the reassurance. I did take I-10 (with I-12) and, finally, I-8 back in 2018 when pulling with my 2007 Ram 1500/5.7 Hemi. Was caught off guard by the 4,000 ft rise, I think west of El Centro. Pulled it, but it made me nervous. Hence, considering the I-10 into I-15 this time. Now pulling my 7.900-lbs Puma with 2020 F-150 with 3.5 Ecoboost and max tow package. Ought to be able to do it, I know. Just a tad too much drama for my old (77) brain after the long drive out from Florida. Looking for "easy" and minimum drama where I can find it, obviously. Reason for trip is to support family member in Escondido with significant health issues. That adds to wanting smooth sailing, as well.
I’ve been in your shoes choosing between the death spiral up from el centro on I-8 or I-10. I chose I-10 and regretted it. I forgot that it was 116 degrees in August at the Colorado river which is the AZ/CA border. I also forgot there are killer grades of 6%+ for what seems like hours in 116 degree heat. Next time I’ll drive up the I-8 death spiral for 15- minutes instead of spending hours wondering if I will break down and die in the 116 degrees of the California desert in August.

We made it, but had to pull ove a few times and turn off the AC as the temp gauges danced. It took a week for my white knuckles to get their normal color back and a bottle of bourbon to restore my nerves. Hahaha.
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:20 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I’ve been in your shoes choosing between the death spiral up from el centro on I-8 or I-10. I chose I-10 and regretted it. I forgot that it was 116 degrees in August at the Colorado river which is the AZ/CA border. I also forgot there are killer grades of 6%+ for what seems like hours in 116 degree heat. Next time I’ll drive up the I-8 death spiral for 15- minutes instead of spending hours wondering if I will break down and die in the 116 degrees of the California desert in August.

We made it, but had to pull ove a few times and turn off the AC as the temp gauges danced. It took a week for my white knuckles to get their normal color back and a bottle of bourbon to restore my nerves. Hahaha.
I understand folks concern with pulling in the heat. We do it a lot. Hardest thing to learn is to slow down, shift down and keep your rpms up. Long grades we will slow down to 50mph and 4th gear (out of 6) if necessary. Then you can climb all day as long as your TVs cooling system is working correctly.
As we get older, we basically park the RV during the summer months if we don't go north. We are just tired of dealing with the heat in the RV
Old 04-28-2022, 09:28 PM   #59
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiwer View Post
I live in Phoenix and I get that you're wary of the climb on the I8 west of El Centro. We have nearly the same set up as you. I believe you'll be fine but if you just don't want to do it, may I suggest that you take the I8 after you get through Tucson then exit at Gila Bend and take SR85 to the I10. You'll bypass Phoenix altogether.
Yes, I was looking at the map and wondering about that. Looks like a good move. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:51 PM   #60

Quote:
Yes, I was looking at the map and wondering about that. Looks like a good move. Thanks.
Also look at the fairly new completed south west segment of the 202 loop that takes you off the I10 before Chandler and then back on around Avondale. Then you get to bypass Phoenix and not mess with the I8 or any state roads.
We have taken it several times now and it is a very nice alternative.