Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

I-10 through Louisiana - still a washboard?

It’s been 10 years since I last towed a trailer on I-10, and the cement stretch through eastern Louisiana, Alabama and Florida panhandle was a miserable washboard. The hitch ball nut vibrated loose right after I turned off towards Valdosta, and the Uhaul I was pulling was all over the road. We were lucky that I was able to safely slow and the chains kept the tongue from hitting the road.

Next year I’ll be making that trip with my 5er, and would prefer not having something similar happen,

How is I-10 now? Better for towing? Any bad stretches I should look out for?
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Failure is my business

Howdy! I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette is a disaster. They have started some construction between the basin bridge and Lafayette but that just makes it worse.

There is also substantial construction in Texas from the border through nearly Beaumont.

My usual route if I have to tow in that direction is to take 110N in Baton Rouge to 190W. Then I stay on 190 (it turns into TX12 at the border) until it runs back into I-10 in Vidor.

But of course, 190 is now under construction but I don't think it's as bad as I-10.

If you're heading to North Texas, you might take 55 to 20, though 20 in LA is not great either.

Best of luck.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
HDU

I-10 was no fun. Went through there this summer with a Harley in the toy hauler, it is the one and only time my bike has fallen over while towing . It is tied down on four corners plus a chock mount holds the front wheel and that stupid bucking bronco pathway that they call a road defeated my mounts. Not to mention it just became very tiring porposing for extended periods of time. They make great Po' Boys, but the roads could use some work.

Best of luck to you, hopefully you can find an alternate that doesn't take you too far out of the way.
HDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:31 PM   #4

My neighbor drove that route last summer in a short bed Dodge dually, nearly lost his false teeth. Next day he stopped in San Antonio & traded for a long bed Ford. Claimed it made a bid difference in ride quality. Of course it had to match mine...[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161217_090047.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	161209  

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:46 AM   #5

Towed through there last week. AWFUL. If you can make it work take I-20. Much better. We took I-20 from Atlanta to Jackson, MS. Good road almost all the way. Will avoid I-10 whenever possible.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote