Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to b bob
I need someone to tell me where to go...

(First post) We need to travel from central Minnesota to Portland, Oregon between October tenth and twentieth. We traded our Rockwood 2503S and Duramax for a 39' Monaco and have a Trailblazer toad. We don't mind the interstates when traveling to a destination, but don't know what to expect, ie smoke and/or snow. After a wedding in Portland, we need to travel to Yuma, AZ to "store" our units for the winter. Any directions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bruce
b bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #2

Google Maps is your friend.

I'm in Texas so I don't know what snow is.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Google maps is routing me on I94 to Spokane and then south to Portland. With the time of year, I'm wondering if it might be better driving if I go south from Butte and then over from Twin Falls, ID to Portland. I'm not sure where to find info on passes/grades, or which route would be less likely to encounter unfavorable weather. We're scheduling about twice the time needed to arrive comfortably (less than 200 miles/day if we drive every day).
Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #4

Trouble with this time of year is...their predictions can change between now and then. I got chased out of WY by snow and cold and now in Mountain Home, ID. I check 2 or 3 weather sites that show not only temps but wind. I also like the cameras on tripcheck.com for Oregon and use Mountain Directory West for passes in all western states.

It's supposed to warm up starting this week-end - key word - supposed.
Personally I'd go any way possible to avoid I-5 from Seattle to Portland.
If you plan Spokane then at Ritzville hit 395 down to 84 (be sure 84 is open/should be, was closed because of a fire), then depending on where in Portland you can adjust your route.

Sounds like you've allowed plenty of time - safe travels!
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #5

I guess with the time we've planned, we can take it day by day and see which direction to travel as weather permits. I suspect most interstates should be passable most of the time. If we have to stay put for a day or two, it should still work out. Thanks for the I5 tip.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:31 AM   #6

I agree with "take it day by day" with winter coming on let it push you as far south as is safe.