Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2021, 10:34 PM   #1

Interesting Midwest Campgrounds

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for ideas for fun places to visit within about an 8 hour drive from Milwaukee, WI. We travel with myself, my wife and our 7 month old son.

We will occasionally visit more distant destinations, but I'm hoping there are some fun places to go a little closer to home, maybe something to make an annual trip. I've heard good things about the Michigan side of Lake Michigan.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Jonnybme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:34 AM   #2
Site Team

8 hours is quite a radius. The entire city of Chicago is only a couple hours from Milwaukee.

Wisconsin Dells area is a fun place to visit too.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

Indiana Dunes SP (I think that is the correct name) near Michigan City, IN is pretty nice. When the water is clean you can swim in Lake Michigan, hiking in a huge oak forest that grew on sand was fantastic. I hiked barefoot. Too much sand was getting into my shoes. Sliding down the dunes is fun too.

BTW, you will have to like sand.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

There are about 30 campgrounds scattered around the Montello, Portage, Rio, Wisconsin Dells areas. The first three towns listed are within 30 minutes to an hour from the Wis Dells.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #5

Since you live in Milwaukee, WI you can catch the ferry in Milwaukee or go up to Manitowoc WI and take the ferry across the lake to the South west side of Michigan. Thus you do not need to go around the lake and put up with all that wonder full traffic as you go around the lake.

Before you dismiss this suggestion just consider this. As this is usually my typical drive when I go around the lake. This is on I80, I90, I94 they are run together through IL and IN around the south end of Cook County and Gary IN. The interstate is 5 lanes wide in each direction with semi-trucks in most of the lanes doing 65 to 80 miles hour. You are sandwich between them with your vehicle and trailer, with a semi in front, one to your left, one to your right and one behind you. With no where to go if their is an accident just hoping you can stop in time.

The ferry will cross the lake and deposit you at either Ludington or Muskegon MI depending on the ferry. There are several great campgrounds in this area from state parks to private. Such as Muskegon Norther State park, Duck Creek Resort (which we stay at). Then travel to Ludington MI and stay at Vacation Station, Ponchos Pond RV park, or drive down to Holland MI, and stay at the state park there. Just to name a few.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Since you live in Milwaukee, WI you can catch the ferry in Milwaukee or go up to Manitowoc WI and take the ferry across the lake to the South west side of Michigan. Thus you do not need to go around the lake and put up with all that wonder full traffic as you go around the lake.

Before you dismiss this suggestion just consider this. As this is usually my typical drive when I go around the lake. This is on I80, I90, I94 they are run together through IL and IN around the south end of Cook County and Gary IN. The interstate is 5 lanes wide in each direction with semi-trucks in most of the lanes doing 65 to 80 miles hour. You are sandwich between them with your vehicle and trailer, with a semi in front, one to your left, one to your right and one behind you. With no where to go if their is an accident just hoping you can stop in time.

The ferry will cross the lake and deposit you at either Ludington or Muskegon MI depending on the ferry. There are several great campgrounds in this area from state parks to private. Such as Muskegon Norther State park, Duck Creek Resort (which we stay at). Then travel to Ludington MI and stay at Vacation Station, Ponchos Pond RV park, or drive down to Holland MI, and stay at the state park there. Just to name a few.
I've been on the 2 hour high speed ferry with a car. I don't believe there is room for anything above the height of a teardrop trailer. I believe it has 9 ft clearance.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I've been on the 2 hour high speed ferry with a car. I don't believe there is room for anything above the height of a teardrop trailer. I believe it has 9 ft clearance.
Than use the ferry SS Badger in Manitowoc WI to Ludington MI to cross the lake.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
There are about 30 campgrounds scattered around the Montello, Portage, Rio, Wisconsin Dells areas. The first three towns listed are within 30 minutes to an hour from the Wis Dells.

What Scrapper said...There are a lot of campgrounds in this area. We can only guess what "fun" is to you, but with a 7 month old, I'm guessing nothing TOO wild.

Also, check out the "Featured Campground" link on the right side of this page. We've used it to find some pretty nice places that we had never heard of before.
Robbie D. Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
Wanderluster

All depends on what you consider "fun"... Wisconsin has lots of great places - Wisconsin Dells, Kettle Moraine State Parks, Door County/Sturgeon Bay, Devil's Lake, Bayfield, Apostle Islands.... All that is within a few hours drive from Milwaukee.
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #10

When I was young and very young in Northern Virginia, we spent a lot of thoroughly enjoyable time at the various parks with the canals along the Potomac River. Similarly, Indiana has some parks along the canals and canal portions, starting in the NE part of the state. The canal museum was closed last fall for Covid, but it looked like a lot of fun. We spent a week at White R campground NE of Indianapolis, had a blast exploring Indiana. We did pick up a stink bug infestation of the camper there.

On the way home, Finger Lakes SP near Columbia, Missouri was quite attractive, and looked like lots of activities.
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #11

Welcome and enjoy. Being in Illinois, most of our camping is done in the Wisconsin State Parks. This year we are going to Kettle Moraine South, Mirror Lake, Harrington Beach, Yellowstone Lake, and Richard Bong. Some of our favorites would be Point Beach and Governor Dodge.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #12

Bluff country in SE MN along the River - quite spectacular. Google it. Plenty of GREAT biking trails in the area too (look at Lanesboro).

Amana Colonies in Iowa.

Antique Archaeology in Le Clair, IA.

Rock in the House - fascinating snd not a long stop.

House on the Rock - incredible and you can spend many hours there. Little child will love the sights and sounds.

Those are both in WI and easily found online.

It really depends on what you want to do. With a 7 mo. old you won’t be doing much kid stuff so maybe places you can visit with your child in a carrier. Do you want to hike, bike, sight see, shop?
Old 04-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #13

You could travel to the UP in that time.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:30 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies everyone. We love the state parks in WI. I think we will find a few new options based on what everyone here offered.
Jonnybme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:18 PM   #15

Just returned from a short weekend at Watkins Mill State Park and historic place! The original 3-story hand-made-brick woolen mill is there, with original equipment from 200 years ago! And the original 2-story hand-made-brick house is there, and a multi-million dollar museum and visitor center. Really cool! Well worth a visit. There's also a 100-acre lake with a sand beach and a 4-mile paved bike trail around the lake, and other amenities within a short drive since it is just 30 minutes or so north of Kansas City. 76 electric hookup sites at the state park. Lots of mature trees at the campsites - ample shade.

Tags
campground, mpg