Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #21

Utah is Great

We toured all of the NPs in southern Utah, and 5 days will leave you wanting more. We took our kids to the North Pole in Colorado Springs, and they had a blast. Lots of RV parks along the river in Durango, but I haven't stayed there. We boondocked north of Durango on the river one night. Beautiful spot, and free. buy a $10 senior pass at the first Park you see if you are 62, and all the rest are free for life.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:41 AM   #22

Plan extra time from Denver to Grand Junction - beautiful country all the way and going slow is cheap entertainment especially going down the Glenwood Canyon.

2x the suggestion to take the Durango - Silverton RR. Another beautiful experience.
Mosquitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #23
Scoundrel

You might want to rethink the part about going from Durango to Iowa in 2 days. Thats just not really doable.

Rich J.
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #24

Also, in Moab, we rented a Jeep from Cliffhanger Rentals.
They have several suggested trails to do. We really enjoyed the Onion Creek up to Polar Mesa trail.
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #25

I second the motion on Great Sand Dunes NP. Rent sleds for the young ones, they'd love it. You might like it too! (I did it last summer and I'm 64).

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #26

Was in Moab this last week. Busy, busy.

We left Denver on Tuesday and drove in the snow to Fruita. Stayed at James M. Robb State Park on the Colorado River. We drive a class a with a jeep behind. 5 hours flat from Littleton to Fruita. Another 1.5 to Moab on 70 to 191. 128 is one of the great 2 lanes in America. Do it.

The Colorado National Monument is a best kept secret here in Colorado. People pass it everyday driving on I-70 and don't know it's there. Worth the 2 hour detour IMO.

Moab is nuts these days. We usually boondock it up on Sand Flats or out Kane Creek but this year stayed at Canyonlands RV park in town so the kids had a pool. Parents bundled up in jackets and blankets while the kids acted like it was August, splashing in the pool.

Arches is busy after 10am. Figure sitting in lines a half mile long to get in and that's before the road work has really started. Dead Horse Point is a must see. One of those views that you can only imagine. Canyonlands is good too. I prefer getting down off the cliffs and onto the White Rim if you can. Kane Creek Road out to Hurrah Pass is another good drive.

I like to get out and away from the crowds. You used to drive 10 minutes out of town and feel like the desert was yours. Sigh.....times have changed.

We did the Durango/Silverton train last summer. You must do it. We have an 11 and 7 year old and they were in awe. So were we and I've lived here for 20 years. If you have time to stop in Pagosa Springs on the way East, do so. The hot springs are expensive but there are 3-4 natural springs in the San Juan River right along the path that you can slip into them without offering up your first born. There's a coffee shop that faces the Springs that's worth it and if you like fresh baked goodies, Pagosa Baking is a fav. Wolf Creek pass is a climb going East. Lots of waterfalls. WC ski resort usually gets the most snow in Colorado so expect to see it at the top. East side is easy.

Sand Dunes National Park is East on 160 as well. Bout 30 minutes off of 160. If the little stream is still running, it's neat to see. Like being at the beach with 14,000 foot mountains in the background.

Lots of things to do and see. Take an extra day if possible. No reason to rush.
As many RV trips as possible for the lifestyle!
Meathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #27

When you say "boondock" I assume you mean "dry camping." In designated campgrounds with no hookups; not just on open lands where you can set up and camp?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #28

you have a couple of hours just getting to Nebraska from osky,
can you do it yes, but it will be a long day
go with what you feel is comfortable have a safe trip enjoy the time
hope to see you at frogtoberfest

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #29

All good suggestions for your trip! We've been over all of those roads and visited all of those places over the years while living in New Mexico. You will not be disappointed at all. Definitely do Colorado National Monument if possible. There is an entrance at Fruita that also has a Dinosaur Museum just outside the entrance, something the kiddos will love.

I would fuel up in Fruita before heading west. There are no services until you get to Crescent Juction on I-70. If you take SH 128, Moab is closer and it is mostly down hill (easier on fuel) but the drive is well worth it. The river valley below Dewey Bridge is where a number of John Wayne movies were filmed (Rio Grande, The Searchers, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, etc.). Moab will be NUTS! And hot! I spent a summer down in that country in June, July & August, and it was blistering hot (100's every day but it was a dry heat ). Be prepared with lots of fluids for the kiddos; they will get dehydrated quickly. We went there in September 2013 for our 35th Anniversary and the place was full of German, French and Japanese tourists; we had a heck of a time finding a room! Canyonlands takes two days at least to see it (Island in the Sky/Dead Horse Point on Day 1, and The Needles on Day 2). On the way out to the Needles (or the way back), be sure to stop at Hole In The Rock for a tour. The kids might get a kick out of it. Arches is 1 day but an easy one, road construction permitting. When we were there in 2013, it rained most of the time and the roads in the park were damaged by flash floods, so I am not surprised there is a big construction project underway.

On the homeward leg, there were many outstanding suggestions for places to stop and things to do. Have a safe trip and a wonderful time!!

elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #30

F5 Moab - When we boondocked in Colorado it was a camping place where lots of people camped, and there was a toilet, but nothing else. I also prefer to camp in tent campsites over RV camp spots. Most RV sites are so close together, I feel like I'm back in the city. That is the beauty of our little ROO. It fits almost anywhere.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:03 AM   #31

Iowa to Moab with Denver Stop

Thank you all for the great suggestions and comments.

One thing is a given. Coming from Iowa to Moab and back is gonna take some time driving regardless. The way I look at it now we can take 2 days out and pushing it 2 days back worse case and 3 preferably.

With that said that leaves 10 days out of our total 14 to see and do what we can.

Givens are Denver for min 2 nights the Moab and do Arches and Canyonlands which will most likely take 4 days. We are doing the Durango train with an overnight there as well which is 1.

Would really like to do the Colorado National Monument. Was reading there is a drive you can take right through the park but curious if that drive is possible with a TT? There are tunnels and such.

I'm confident we will have a great time baring issues.
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
2017 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Cummins 4x4
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #32

Don't try towing your TT through the Colorado National Monument. Park it in Grand Junction, and take some time to enjoy all the views. Tunnels are pretty tricky.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #33

2 tunnels in the Colorado national monument are short and straight. There is a campground on the top of the monument so plenty of campers going up there. Pulling the trailer is nothing.

If you have time, stop by, or order for pick up, the hot tomato in fruita. Great pizza spot. 5 mins from the entrance to the national monument.
Meathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:08 AM   #34

Well one says no another says go. Coin flip maybe? I'm confident in my skills. The tunnels in park are of concern though. We shall see
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
Old 04-07-2017, 05:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhodj View Post
Well one says no another says go. Coin flip maybe? I'm confident in my skills. The tunnels in park are of concern though. We shall see
You'll get that a lot here. I'm fearless and superman compared to some. probably a schmuck compared to others.

Like anything. Do your own research (that's what this is, I know) and decide for yourself.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #36
Happy Keystone Owner

While in Durango, the train passes through the United Campgrounds of Durango. Nice place but you better like your neighbors. Tracks go through the middle...2 trains in the morning and afternoon. If you have a dog with there is Willow Tree Kennel a couple miles north that will open up after the trains return to get your dogs out.

Years camping....55
dbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #37

We rode the train 1/2 way to Silverton and got off for a backpack trip. The scenery is spectacular, but I was bored fairly quickly. I was very glad we weren't going all the way to Silverton and back. I believe there is an option for a bus ride back. That ride is nice scenery also. We pulled my little ROO out of Ouray, CO, and it was the only time in my life I thought that a 25 mph speed limit was too fast. That is one narrow road, with no guardrails.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhodj View Post
Call the park, ask questions.

If the individual does not know ask for someone who does know.

Best source of info comes from people who are THERE.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Call the park, ask questions.

If the individual does not know ask for someone who does know.

Best source of info comes from people who are THERE.

Great suggestion here!!!

Mentioning the bus trip part of Durango RR is option I have not thot of. The bus would be a time saver returning back to Durango. Time is something I'm lacking to get it all done.
2017 Coachmen 292BHDS
Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #40

I live in Denver and have been to Moab & Durango several times. I also travel I76 & I80 at least a dozen times a year to Indiana and back. I80 is a trucker's hwy, so lots of semi's and it is construction time. Lots of truck stops for fuel/food and rest areas.
Holiday RV park in North Platte is probably the best one, but it is busy and you will need reservations at least a week in advance. There are other smaller parks between Lexington & Cozad with fewer amenities (cable/pool), but good for an overnight stop & easy drive into Denver. You would get there after the morning rush. Wind will almost always be from the West and if it is not to strong, then it's just a boring drive unless you like cornfields. I recommend RVparkreviews website. Free download & park contact info. I have never been surprised or worse when using this site going into an unfamiliar area.
Denver to Moab is a long day,but most of the scenery is good and you'll still have plenty of daylight when you arrive.
Parks in Moab are generally ok, but you're not be going to spend much daytime in the rv park anyway. You will want to make reservations in advance though. BTW there are several good craft beers made in Moab if you find that to be of interest.
Easy drive to Durango with time for stops/excursions along the way. RV parks in Durango along the river are very scenic and the railroad is worth it.
Durango to home over Wolf Creek pass would be 2 very long days, especially going through Denver & Omaha.
BTW, I often travel with 2 teens, and as long as they have their cell phones & wifi access when we arrive, I can make the days as long or short as I want.

I envy you your trip. It should be a lot of fun
Ken

04.5 CTD 2500 Dodge 6spd manual
2014 Flagstaff 8528ckws
elkabong is offline   Reply With Quote