Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2022, 01:09 PM   #1

La to S. Padre / Port Aransas stop over advice

I am planning a Surf / Kite Boarding / mountain bike / other stuff trip from Frederick, Md to SPI... ya a long one ! I've done lots of research but looking for advice on a stop over between the Beaumont, TX area and SPI in Port Aransas around the November 5th time frame. Id like to see the beach , especially if its windy and I can get a kite session in. It could be on a weekend so please advise accordingly, I'm flexible.

I'm fully boondockable with a 31' TT/F-350 gasser so I was looking at the $12 pass and parking overnight on P.A. Beach Rd.

Google Maps has me going via the Ferry to PABeach Rd and continuing down past Mustang Island for the drive to SPI.
Would it be easier to just come in near Mustang Island , drive north and stay at Mustang Island State Park or go all the way up to P.A. Beach Rd. avoiding the Ferry ride. Or is it worth the hassle and traffic ( if there is any ) taking the ferry and driving south and on my way like the map shows.
Thanks for any and all advise and suggestion!!
Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 1.49.25 PM.png
Views:	50
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	279870  
400w of solar on roof
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:45 PM   #2

If you have any potential of dragging anything, do not take the ferry. Nothing is 'stable' when the ferry is 'docked' and is moving 'up and down'. Years ago we took the ferry (camper was at a campground) on a 'road trip. Funniest thing you ever saw. A 'smaller' car was driving off the ramp and the ferry (at the dock) dipped down and the 'ramp' went up..... the cars front plastic bumper was totally ripped off and the car drove over it..... Three people jumped out of the car and had no idea of what to do with the u-shaped plastic bumper. They ended up tossing it on top of the roof and with their hands out the windows, grabbed a hold of it and drove off down the street....

All of us in the truck were rolling with laughter and saying (from smoky and the bandit).... "Put the evidence in the caarrr, JR..."

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Brother Les!
I have a toy hauler that has more ground clearance than a normal TT and an F-350 with stock suspension that has a large amount of ground clearance.
400w of solar on roof
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:20 PM   #4

If it were me, I'd take the northern(western) route to Corpus Christi and then drop down on 358 to Mustang Island. It's only 30 minutes drivetime and you're going to spend at least that amount of time getting on and off the ferry.

You'll get plenty of 'beach' at the Mustang Beach State Park and your max cost would be $5 admission and $20 for w/e or $10 primitive camping on the beach.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:49 PM   #5

We didn’t have any problems getting on or off the ferry in Port A. They do make you get on and off real slow.

We got the $12 annual beach parking pass and stayed 4 days on the beach. Beware that some parts of the beach do not allow overnight camping. Up by the dunes there are numbered posts that go all the way down the beach. I think there was a sign as we entered the beach that had rules and info posted. We entered the beach at Access Rd 2 which is closer to Corpus than Port A. Also it’s closer to Mustang Island State Park.

« Ozarks | Chicago »