Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #1

Las Cruces N.M.

We were thinking of heading down this way in mid Feb. would like to here from members staying in the area or visited the area. What is it like and what to do and where to stay.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcamper View Post
We were thinking of heading down this way in mid Feb. would like to here from members staying in the area or visited the area. What is it like and what to do and where to stay.

I would also like to hear the same thing, being we are looking in that area to move to.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #3

I'll be going through there in February, en route to Phoenix. I have never stayed in an RV facility there, but I'll be spending a night there on this trip. I had it as part of my work territory for several years. It's beautiful there and I would move there if my wife would go... Old Mesilla has some nice things and shops, if that's still active. The Organ Mountains at sunset are amazing.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #4

Isn't that where the UFO "crashed" in 1948?

If it is, they have a festival there every year celebrating that event.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #5

Don't miss the White Sands National Monument (but the road from Las Cruces to Alamogordo feels like the longest 20 some miles in the world). Missile Museum at White Sands Missile Range White Sands Missile Range Museum. Space Museum in Alamogordo. http://www.nmspacemuseum.org/
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #6

I have another question about how close to the border any issues, just asking not intended to offend anybody.

kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:46 PM   #7

Can't really help with the border question. I haven't been there in a while. There used to be check points here and there. Probably more now.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:00 PM   #8

Mid November 2014 we drove our RV to Phoenix from Fort Worth, TX. via I- 20, I-10. We did not stay in Las Cruces but stopped briefly for a walk and late Lunch. Las Cruces looks like a neat place. Las Cruces is about 50 Miles north of El Paso and the border of Mexico.
We did boondock at the Walmart in Deming, NM. about 60 miles west of Las Cruces. (28 degs. the next AM).

I think Roswell, NM is the place where the UFO crashed.
cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #9

My parents are from Mesilla Park and we still have family there, honestly it’s one of my favorite places. It’s far enough north that the border crap that goes on doesn’t affect Cruces.

If you are going to be there for a little while here are some places to look into that are good day trips;

Hatch NMgreatest chili in the world. You’ll need to eat green chili’s for every meal.

Alamagordo NM,White Sands, Air and Space Museum, Tularosa

Silver City NM, the Gila Wilderness has some amazing history

El Paso if you dare

Most importantly is Old Mesilla the culture of the southwest is a blend of Indian and Spanish cultures that is the old west.We used to go to La Posta all the time. The best Mexican food in the world is down the road in La Mesa, NM at Chopes. If we are there a week I’ll eat there 3 to 5 times having different things on the menu.

Cruces is a fine wine take your time and savor it.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #10

Las Cruces NM

Stayed in KOA Las Cruces 6 days. were going to stay just 2 days on way to Tucson AZ, very nice park, lots to see and do, so 6 days was almost enough. next Tucson AZ, KOA super nice park but $50 a night with fruit trees at almost every site (lemon & orange & grape/food). stayed 4 nights.
Now at Tombstone Territories RV Resort might stay 2+months.
Have been through 3 Border check-points on this trip. I always say " Howdy officer how can I help us today" answer "you are free to go" about one minute and we are on the road again.
Safe and Happy travels
riche is offline   Reply With Quote