Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #1

Looking for great camping in MI

We are from Wi and have lived in MI for about 11 years. For the past 7 we have parked our pop up at a lake house until a tree fell on it. We just bought a new Roo and are looking for nice camping spots in MI. We like full hookup, with lots of trees, and fun activities.

Lynn in Michigan
lakemominmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First, I've got to indulge my curiosity. Did the tree fall on the popup or the house?

Secondly, I'm a big fan of the state parks, the DW and kids are fans of the KOAs, so we stay at KOAs. Not much for treed lots there most of the time but the one in Emmett MI wasn't bad.

For trees, I'd stick with the state parks. MI does have 4 SPs that are listed as full hookups on according to the DNR. I'm not sure where you'd be headed but you've got options. I haven't tried any of them yet but they are on my (though not the rest of family's) wish list to try out.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #3

We have only camped twice in Michigan and had good times both trips. Harbour Town in Monroe has lots to do with go carts, batting cages, put put and a huge pool. Lots were paved and good size but lack trees. Valley Plaza in Midland is a small campground beside a Best Western with indoor pools and hot tubs. On site is a bowling, alley, arcade, bumper cars and movie theater. Close by is a minor league ball park, Frankenmuth and Birch Run.
sausageking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

Our favorite Michigan campgrounds are KOA at Petoskey and the full hookup state campground at Hartwick Pines just off 75. Petoskey KOA is fantastic with lots of activities, great pool and hot tub, and is close to Stafford's Bayview Inn, famous for it's Sunday Brunch. Everyhink is fairly close (Mackinaw Bridge and Island, Mackinac City, Canada , Harbor Springs. Hartwick Pines is close to great North Branch Trout Fishing and comfortably close to other AuSable main stream and South Branch. Take your waders and fly rod! Michigan has a weekend of free (no license needed) usually in Apr or May. Enjoy
L'il Red Wagon 6.5 bed
bobby75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #5

Mill Creek campground in near the bridge, nice people lots to do within two hours, mackinac island, shiopwreck museum, soo locks
Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #6

Look on the marvac site they list a lot of them. Jelly Stone in Frankenmuth is nice and has pull through sites. There are also a couple nice full hookup campground near houghton lake look up the houghton lake chamber of commerce to find them.
brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

K.O.A. Port Huron, Lake Port State Park, Grand Haven State Park, Harbor Town.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
Tim & Lisa Trempert

We love the Sand Dunes at Silver Lake. You can rent jeeps and drive on the dunes or take your own four wheel drive vehicle/dune buggy/4 wheeler on them.

Best campground is pristine and right down the street from the dunes:
Silver Creek RV Resort
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

What type of camping are you looking to do? I love the state parks here, we aren't "rv resort" kind of people though. Fayette is beautiful in the UP. Hoeft is another gem, they are about to completely redo the park since the sites don't accommodate huge rv's, but the beach is beautiful. Platt River is another, they have a great tubing area where you end up in Lake Michigan. Also, Ludington is another absolutely gorgeous campground. We also really like Wilderness, it's just a few min from the bridge. I preferred the loop in the back, we had wild turkeys roaming around every day.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
What type of camping are you looking to do? I love the state parks here, we aren't "rv resort" kind of people though. Fayette is beautiful in the UP. Hoeft is another gem, they are about to completely redo the park since the sites don't accommodate huge rv's, but the beach is beautiful. Platt River is another, they have a great tubing area where you end up in Lake Michigan. Also, Ludington is another absolutely gorgeous campground. We also really like Wilderness, it's just a few min from the bridge. I preferred the loop in the back, we had wild turkeys roaming around every day.
This kind:

Or this kind:

Given a choice, I'd prefer the later.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #11

Besides MARVAC.org website try ARVC website for MI. We pretty much used SP when we had a popup but now with 5er we are starting to use private more as wife likes full hookups. For the straights area we have stayed at Mill Creek and in St. Ignace we stayed at Castle Rock CG which was very nice and w/o sewer was cheaper than the Straights SP.
2013 nights camped 35
MarcusN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #12

Best campground ever... In southhaven mi is Sunnybrook !
Top notch and beautiful.
Harediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #13

Hi, We live in the Appleton area. We love McLain State Park. It is located north of Hancock, Mi. It is located right on Lake Superior. You can get a sight right on the lake. Nice swimming beach, mile or more of shoreline and lots to do in the area.

wwwmidnrreservations.com
oldstreetracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping