Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #1

Looking for Ideas: Texas

We are planning a 2-3 week winter trip to Texas and would love suggestions about places to go that are not in a city. We love to fish, history, nature, and easy hiking.

Padre Seashore, Big Bend and the Alamo are on the list. Other places/things to do?
JCSontheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

How about maybe Garner State Park. Even if you can't get into Garner (it tends to be full a lot...not sure how Covid has affected it), there are other parks around it. The Frio river is beautiful. There is a bat cave in nearby Concan, and all the nature you could wish for. Just be aware, the weather in winters here can be "unpredictable". While we don't get the snow and other winter precipitation (normally), it can be windy if a front comes through, and downright cold.

Anyway, just a thought for another destination.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 07:03 AM   #3

Thank you!
JCSontheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #4

Looking for Ideas: Texas

Great picks for spots - obviously tons of hiking in Big Bend and fishing in Padre.

I'm actually in Padre right now. We're staying at Padre Balli county park in Corpus. Nothing fancy but it has hookups, large sites, strong Wifi at our particular spot, and all you have to do is walk over the sand dunes and you're on the beach. I've also stayed at private CGs in Port Aransas. They've got more amenities but the sites are closer together. If you like boon docking, you can camp directly on the beach in the area too.

Consider checking out the Hill Country - Enchanted Rock is worth a stop for a little hiking
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock

Dripping Springs has some more beautiful hikes and fishing
https://thedaytripper.com/daytrips/dripping-springs-tx/

Tons fishing in the rivers and lakes. If you enjoy fly fishing, there's great places to do that on the rivers.

You shouldn't have a difficult time filling up your itinerary. If you love to fish and hike, you'll have plenty of options.
Best damn dog ever
Lover of dispersed camping
LynnATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

If you will be on the east side Palo Duro Canyon State Park is really nice. Also Galveston State Park is worth a day or so, fishing there is good.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
If you will be on the east side Palo Duro Canyon State Park is really nice. Also Galveston State Park is worth a day or so, fishing there is good.
I think you mean west side. Palo Duro is in the Texas Panhandle up in the far NW part of the state. You are right it is pretty nice.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
Just A Member

Inks Lake west of Burnet. Rockaway RV Park is a good place to stay. Plenty to see around the area. Wine country, maybe. It's not in a city. Nearby, Llano, Fredericksburg, Marble Falls, Burnet, etc.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #8

Several have mentioned the Hill Country. If you are near Fredericksburg, I highly recommend the National Museum of the Pacific War. They are not open on Mon and Tues, and due to covid it's probably a good idea to make a reservation in advance. If you enjoy bird watching, there is just about no better place in the winter than in the Rio Grande Valley between Brownsville and McAllen. South Padre has a wonderful birding center with boardwalk trails, then there are a number of places in the valley that are all part of the world birding center. Amazing birds in the winter (actually all year) that you will not see anywhere else in the United States.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #9

I saw my first caracara near Austin. It’s a gorgeous bird. I also saw two roadrunners. (You have to look fast, though.) And yep, they were running along a road. Seriously.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #10

I don't know which route you are taking, but we did a portion of that trip a couple of years ago. It's around 600 miles between Big Bend and Padre Island.

If you take Hwy 90, gas up before you leave the Big Bend area. Stop at the Judge Roy Bean Safety Rest Area which is near Langtry,TX. It's well worth the time to visit the village recreated there and the small museum.

Del Rio has the oldest winery in Texas (hard to find though). Also near Del Rio is the Amistad National Recreation Area which is a huge fresh water lake which is said to have some of the best fishing in Texas.
If you're in San Antonio, the San Antonio Missions National Park has lots of history.

You're probably going to run out of time before you run out of things to see.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #11

Right across from Garner is Parkview Riverside RV Park, I've stayed there from Feb through April the last 5 years, and will this year as well. Nice place, clean, great restrooms and showers, friendly staff. I love The Hill Country!!!
JanFMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:08 PM   #12

Mathis TX

Hi, We've spent 2 winters in TX. and found wilderness Lakes in Mathis to be just right for us. Half way between Corpus Christi and San Antonio, 3 fishing lakes and easy walking thru a nice clean park. All the places mentioned in other posts are good, 3 weeks is not enough. A day in San Antonio is well worth the drive and the river walk makes a great "hike". Day trips to Brownsville or Laredo are doable and there is a lot of TX history close by also.
We spent about a total of 7 winter months there and saw snoe one morning, usually nice and warm by noon. Wish I was spending this winter there again. Enjoy, BaDinNC
BADinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
BMullins46

Contact the Texas highway department and ask for a highway map and a tourism guide. They will be free and will give you an idea of all that is available, Texas is a HUGE state and very diverse in the things available. The weather varies considerably and for a winter trip I would recommend that you plan to stay south of I-20 and ideally from I-10 and south.We have been in the hill country during the winter and found the day time temps to be very plessant, but the night time temps can drop into the low 30s and upper 20s so some planning will be necessary.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
I saw my first caracara near Austin. It’s a gorgeous bird. I also saw two roadrunners. (You have to look fast, though.) And yep, they were running along a road. Seriously.

The roadrunners must have taken a wrong toin at Albuqoiqey!

But seriously, roadrunners are very common west of I-35 for the most part. We have a couple that hang out around our place.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #15

Texas

There is a nice COE park north of Fredericksburg.
dav7158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSontheRoad View Post
We are planning a 2-3 week winter trip to Texas and would love suggestions about places to go that are not in a city. We love to fish, history, nature, and easy hiking.

Padre Seashore, Big Bend and the Alamo are on the list. Other places/things to do?

Texas is a big State. Most places outside the major metropolitan areas (Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Fort Worth/Dallas) are open for the most part. Consider the looking at the Texas Fort Trail. There are numerous frontier forts open with visitor centers and self-guided tours. Fort Davis, south of Alpine, is the largest and some of it has been restored. You could also visit Big Bend Nat'l Park but some of the facilities are closed due to Covid.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #17

In the Hill Country are many nice open to the public caves. Be sure to take the tour at Natural Bridge Caverns. I explored in it before it was open to the public. Also in the east central area is a tour called "Painted Churches". Mostly small churches that the homesick settlers hand painted on the inside to remind themselves of the great churches they left behind in Germany. PBS ran a special on them some years ago.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #18

A lot depends on what kind of camping you have in mind. Are you boondocking or do you prefer full hookups? Do you want coastal areas and beaches or more of a woodland vibe? The beauty of Texas is that all are available.
If you like it warmer, the Coastal Bend is pretty good. Padre Island National Seashore has a very nice stretch of unspoiled beach and spaces to dry camp. Mustang Island State Park is another option with power and water, but they are less isolated. A bit further north is Goose Island State park which is near Rockport, a fun and funky little town. This area is less beach and more trees. There are also lots of privately owned parks up and down the coast, plenty to chose from.
Texas is huuuuge, take the time to see it all!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #19

Check out Bandera, TX in the Hill country. I stopped here for 2 weeks in April and now we live here. Check out Holiday Villages of Medina website. Bandera is called the Cowboy capital of the world.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #20

We took two weeks for this trip

Lot of miles but worth it we live by Galveston

Davis Mountains State Park
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/davis-mountains

Fort Davis A Frontier Post - National Historic Site Texas
https://www.nps.gov/foda/index.htm

Rio Grande Village Campground
Planned Reopening early November
Reservations are REQUIRED via www.recreation.gov
NO First Come First Served Camping

Soak in the Hot Spring
https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvis...thesprings.htm

Visiting Boquillas, Mexico
https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvis...-boquillas.htm

Fossil Discovery Exhibit at Big Bend National Park
https://www.nps.gov/articles/park-pa...rrick-bibe.htm

Langtry Roy Bean Museum
https://texaspecostrail.com/plan-you...visitor-center

Seminole Canyon State Park & Historic Site (Call ahead for hiking down the canyon)
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/seminole-canyon

Kickapoo Cavern State Park
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/kickapoo-cavern

Goliad State Park & Historic Site
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/goliad
TCedmon is offline   Reply With Quote