Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 04:25 PM   #1

Marking diesel pumps

Wouldn't it be nice if stations marked the end of the islands (a green tag or flag) where the diesel pumps are located. I know most have the diesel on the end, but you have to look for the green handle and it's too late if there's no diesel (especially when pulling a 40 footer)
Det107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #2

There is no consistency on how diesel pumps are located or marked. Usually I look for the color green and at the outside or ends of the islands. High volume stations like Murphy USA are no better. I would think fuel chains would survey customers and realize they are missing an opportunity.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

I would be happy if the end pumps were dedicated to just diesel. I seem to always get behind the person getting regular gas that has to go in and pre-pay and picks up their groceries while they are in there.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #4

As a diesel Ram and VW TDI owner, my two favorites are when the green pump is gas and the black pump is diesel (I'm talking to you, Virginia!) and when the pumps only have the large nozzles that won't fit in the VW. Diesel marketing/branding/labeling is inconsistent and sucks.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det107 View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if stations marked the end of the islands (a green tag or flag) where the diesel pumps are located. I know most have the diesel on the end, but you have to look for the green handle and it's too late if there's no diesel (especially when pulling a 40 footer)
Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest ideas. Great idea.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #6
Always Learning

Truck stops solve these issues. Around back, they're all diesel.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #7

Some truck stops prefer you use the front pumps and it is easier just swiping your credit card then having your wife go in and wait to have them turn on the pump. We have it down to my wife goes in and tells them how much and uses the ladies room and when I'm done I go in and she moves our unit forward to clear the pump. I sign for the fuel on my way out, and we're on our way.
Det107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #8

I agree there is a need for uniform marking, just keep in mind not all diesel pumps use green handles. An example the BP by me has green for reg and black for diesel. I have also seen yellow used.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

Quote:
I agree- in the meantime, I look for the pump that has two hoses on one side. That's been working for me, one of them is usually diesel.

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:50 PM   #10

BP confuses you with their handles, green for regular and black for diesel.
NavySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Some truck stops prefer you use the front pumps and it is easier just swiping your credit card then having your wife go in and wait to have them turn on the pump. We have it down to my wife goes in and tells them how much and uses the ladies room and when I'm done I go in and she moves our unit forward to clear the pump. I sign for the fuel on my way out, and we're on our way.
Interesting, I've never heard of a truck stop not wanting RVers back at the truck pumps. At least none that have every said anything to me.

When we aren't at a Pilot/Flying J, I usually send the wife and daughter in to start the pump. She'll tell them to authorize it for a bit more than we need. Sometimes she hits the ladies' room while she is in there, other times she comes out to the camper to do it. Sometimes we go back in for the receipt, other times we just let their computer figure out the difference (they've always refunded the correct amount). Almost always, I'll pull forward and run inside the camper to hit the head before we get on the road.

At Pilot/Flying J, we have the card to start the pump without going inside. With our Good Sams discount on it, it works out for us to not worry about cheaper fuel somewhere else.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

I agree diesel pumps need to be marked better! As a mom of 4kids I don't know how many times I've caught myself putting the green handle of BP in my VW TDI! Not a good thing and sure wakes me up!
As a driver of a 30ft camper living in rural areas, truck stops are not common place! Need a better system to marking the pumps and better placement!
Duramax mom
Owner 07 Duramax and VW TDI
Nights camped 2015 3
Duramax mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #13
2010 Forest River Solera

In Oregon, the Pilot/Flying J discount for Good Sam 'Elite' members is still higher net price than others in the area. I suggest using a free app downloaded to your smart phone called "Gas Buddy". It tells you - wherever you are - where the cheapest pumps are and how much. You set it up for diesel, rather than gas when you set up your initial account. I find it quite reliable. Needless to say, was a little disappointed with the Pilot/Flying J discount which takes 9 cents off diesel - but still higher by a significant amount.

Ron, Debra & Foxy
2010 Forest River Solera - Diesel
Ron, Debra & Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #14
clr

I have found that local gas stations have much lower prices for diesel than the truck stops even with the discount or loyalty cards for the big truck stops. But when on a long trip I will often buy diesel at the truck stops for convince sake. I have found many of the older truck stops to be rather unwelcoming to RVers. There is one Pilot truck stop in MO along I44 for example that you have to walk about a 1/4 mile down many steps to get the pump turned on and then back up to pump your diesel. Many will not accept credit cards only the DOT cards.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #15

We have Bucee's here in Texas, all pumps have diesel the bathrooms are the cleanest you will ever use and the beaver nuggets are great...
Gitiup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySailor View Post
BP confuses you with their handles, green for regular and black for diesel.
Just a heads up for anyone travelling through western Canada; most of the stations use the color yellow on the handles to identify diesel. And will identify on the main sign beside the road if they sell diesel. If I don't see the main sign indicating diesel, I keep rolling....

J.
jcrayford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #17
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitiup View Post
We have Bucee's here in Texas, all pumps have diesel the bathrooms are the cleanest you will ever use and the beaver nuggets are great...
They are not all over Texas. They wanted to crack the North Texas market by getting into Denton,but were turned down. Seems like they are in the Southern Texas area right now. Heard great things about them.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, pump