Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Fairview Riverside State Park in St Tammany Parish is not big rig friendly.
Im curious, other than having all "back in" and no pull-thru sites, what about it is not "Big Rig Friendly" about Fairview Riverside?

Last time we were there, this past fall, there were more than just a few Class A's, in fact nearly 1/2 the sites had Class A's in them.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #22
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Im curious, other than having all "back in" and no pull-thru sites, what about it is not "Big Rig Friendly" about Fairview Riverside?

Last time we were there, this past fall, there were more than just a few Class A's, in fact nearly 1/2 the sites had Class A's in them.
Maneuvering through the park with a 40 ft 5th wheel pulled by a 22 ft long bed truck was difficult in making the turns on the street to our site, as well as the space allowed to back in.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:59 PM   #23

For the really frivolous side of your adventure, there is Indian hills nudist campground and park in slidell, LA, cheers, LOL..
rowdy boys 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb422 View Post
Are they going on the Carnival Glory on Feb 2nd? We are doing that cruise and then a day after we are doing a 5 day on the Valor also out of NOLA.
Norwegian cruise line on the 5th.

Thank you all for the replies. We appreciate your help.
oldhippie-froggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy boys 3 View Post
For the really frivolous side of your adventure, there is Indian hills nudist campground and park in slidell, LA, cheers, LOL..
Nothing wrong with nudist campgrounds, if that's your kind of thing.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #26

Just wondering if you’ve checked availability? It is Mardi Gras season
Bamamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #27

Pinecrest RV in Slidell. Tell them Joe sent ya.
Jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #28

french quarter rv park.... is the way to go not far from the cruise terminal
tmelsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #29

Pine Crest RV is where we stayed earlier this week.

We just spent 5 nights at Pinecrestrv.com in Slidell. I was pleased with the easy access to IH-10 going into downtown NOLA. We visited with friends in the Hammond, LA area 45 minutes west in IH-12 and IH-55. Lots of restaurants and shopping in Slidell as well.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #30

We made it to Slidell and camping in Pine Crest.
Not bad for what there is but when we compare it to Rivers Edge Resort in Winterhaven California it falls short on amenities, camping site condition and price. The rain soaked ground doesn't help.

Great people running it and it's quiet with plenty of shopping choices within a few miles. Being only 30 minutes to downtown New Orleans is definitely a plus.
oldhippie-froggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:22 PM   #31

Glad you made it safely through the rain. Pine Crest RV does offer a shuttle to the Quarter. I was born in NOLA and grew up there in the 1950's and 60's. There is a nice cafe in Slidell called Southside Cafe. Had Yingling Lager on tap. The Dixie Brewery is moving back to NOLA as they have re-done the old place. Take a cycle ride to some of the old north shore towns if the weather cooperates. Pine Crest RV is not a fancy place but it's a nice safe place to stay. I would avoid the Chef Hwy spots as they tend to be somewhat rough neighborhoods post Katrina. Used to stay there in the 1970 and 80's but no more. Have a great time and be safe.
elob_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:02 AM   #32

Enjoy your stay. I’ know Slidell and the area quite well. My house is only about 20min away from ya.
mds47588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:17 AM   #33
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We also love the New Orleans KOA, actually in River Ridge. Not a “Resort” but we don’t frequent those. Easy short drive the back way, pop out right on St Charles Ave. Very nice staff.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie-froggie View Post
We're heading to New Orleans for Feb 1st and looking for recommendations on RV Resorts & campgrounds.
Which ones manage to not flood during heavy rains and are within an hour or two of New Orleans?

My wife will be going on a Carribean cruise with 5 of her aunts and cousins while I will spend my time cruising around on my Harley.
Go to YouTube and search Getaway Couple. They have a video on New Orleans. Where they stayed and how they saw the city. The have a 42 foot 5er.
Kaysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #35

Pontchartrain Landing

Stayed there in April of '19. Right on the river, we enjoyed watching the ships movements. Can't say if flooding is ever an issue but a huge storm passed through during out stay and we were invited to hang out in the upstairs restaurant and lounge (which had decent food). The shuttle to the french quarter ran several times a day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190420_172832.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	222668  

2022 Coachmen Apex Remote 16R (Remo)
New Hampshire
Wood2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:08 PM   #36
Catfish1953

New Orleans Campground

Quote:
We're heading to New Orleans for Feb 1st and looking for recommendations on RV Resorts & campgrounds.
Which ones manage to not flood during heavy rains and are within an hour or two of New Orleans?

My wife will be going on a Carribean cruise with 5 of her aunts and cousins while I will spend my time cruising around on my Harley.
We stayed at the KOA in New Orleans. Not bad but did flood for about 2 hrs but drained off quickly when rain stopped. It was about 6-inches deep in a couple of spots so not really bad. You stay in the bowl you will get water if it rains for days or really hard for a short period. It is New Orleans that is what happens in a lot of places in the city. It really wasn't a big deal. It was being upgraded at the time should have been completed months ago I would think. Nice people. close to downtown. We would stay there or Bayou Segnette State Park.

USAF Retired
3rd Herd Life Member
2019 Forrest River E-pro 19-FBS
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
catfish1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:26 PM   #37

Not jude travel park

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from the Jude Travel Park! We were there first week of January and were robbed of $400. Park owners were sympathetic. New Orleans police were no help! Waited a whole day for cop to come to file a report. Cop finally showed up next day. It's now a month later and no response from cops who said they would review surveillance footage. New Orleans is a dirty, dangerous city. We will never be back!
PamJohnZephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamJohnZephyr View Post
Whatever you do, stay the hell away from the Jude Travel Park! We were there first week of January and were robbed of $400. Park owners were sympathetic. New Orleans police were no help! Waited a whole day for cop to come to file a report. Cop finally showed up next day. It's now a month later and no response from cops who said they would review surveillance footage. New Orleans is a dirty, dangerous city. We will never be back!
Lots of facts missing from this story. I’d like to hear them before you condemn an entire city.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:10 AM   #39

Ponchartrain Landing!

We have stayed two years in a row for Mardi Gras at Ponchartrain Landing RV Park and Marina. Fine sites, shuttle to the French Quarter, reasonable rates, great staff, nice restaurant with entertainment on weekends.

Don’t miss the parades, the French Market, the great music, Jackson Square, the Mardi Gras museum, the WWII Museum, the river walk, and Royal St. Avoid Bourbon St. on Mardi Gras itself as the debauchery is over the top. But you’ve gotta walk it during an afternoon...
Chief Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #40

Quote:
We made it to Slidell and camping in Pine Crest.
Not bad for what there is but when we compare it to Rivers Edge Resort in Winterhaven California it falls short on amenities, camping site condition and price. The rain soaked ground doesn't help.
I would have thought that the Rain Soaked Ground would have been a welcome treat compared to the endless fires and drought in CA.

Check out a weather site, here in LA, in winter, it RAINS Come to think of it, it rains in the summers too!