Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2018, 12:59 AM   #1

Newbie - Dallas to Las Vegas -

Leaving on the 18th from Dallas up to Amarillo and I40 to Las Vegas. Plan on stopping in Amarillo, Gallup, NM, Kingman, AZ. Any hints/help/suggestions/cautions would be appreciated. TV is Ram 1500 5.7 towing a 34' Freedom Express 305rkds. This is our 2nd trip and I am as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. My big concerns are hills on I40, 93 going into Las Vegas and cold nights at the CGs. If the weather gets bad in front of us, we will either stop or go around it. Don't want to get too verbose and there is a huge amount of knowledge and experience on this forum so reply away and make me fell better. AND Thank you for your input!
TXmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:03 AM   #2

Just relax and be smart about weather. Spend an extra day in any CG if the weather looks risky.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:10 AM   #3

From Kingman to Vegas is an easy pull. No biggy. A few hills approaching the Dam, but not bad.

Bigger hills on I40 around Williams, but again, not too bad. Just take your time and go slow as the road is always torn up in that area.

Take an electric space heater to supplement your furnace. We also use an electric blanket when at a campground with hookups. If freezing temps at night, fill your fresh tank and use your pump.

Pay attention to weather apps. We use the weather.gov site to make travel decisions when on the road.

Recommend Blake Ranch RV park outside of Kingman. Easy access from I40 and next to a truck stop for easy fuel. We always stay there when in that area.

Have fun and enjoy your trip! When you get there you will wonder why you were so nervous
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 AM   #4

Why not take I-20 to I-10 out to Phoenix and then go north? No big hills along that route and less apt to hit ice and snow (although it does happen at times.) I've driven that route several times, towing to CA in March. I've also towed the I-40 route with no problems, but in the winter. I lived in Amarillo for 5 years and the roads can get bad up there.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

Let the weather be your guide. What happens on the 18th on I-40 could be wonderful or horrible. Remember the February super bowl a couple of years ago at Jerry world.

We run up 287 several times a year to Amarillo. There are 2 huge rest areas along the way. East of Quanah and east of Hedley good places to stretch and use the restroom.

We stay at Oasis RV Resort a few miles west of Amarillo and love it. They have a limo that goes to the Big Texan. There are also several other parks in Amarillo. We have always gone north or south from there so I won't suggest west. But....... Oasis has a sister park in Gallup.

If the weather sucks and you go on 20 then there is a great State Park near Pecos to stay. All of this is oil field country so the parks can get a bit campy.

Look at all the threads about getting through El Paso so you can plan your route. I was born and raised in El Paso and I wouldn't stay there. When we go we stay in Las Cruces. We always stay at Sunny Acres for several days but if it was just one night I'd probably stay at the Hacienda on I10 near Mesilla. Again we go north from there.

Above all else take your time enjoy the ride. I figure on 50 MPH as an average then I drive in the low 60's but with rest breaks, fuel and so on it usually works out to about 50 mph.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

DK gives you good advice above. I've traveled the same areas and drive at the same speeds. I take the bypass around el Paso but there is a long steep climb involved. One of the threads he mentions shows a bypass around the mountain that sounds good.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #7
Always Learning

I've stayed in Amarillo and Kingman.

In Amarillo, we stayed at Oasis RV Resort. (Our trip pictures for Amarillo)

In Kingman, we stayed at Zuni Village RV Park. (Our trip pictures for Kingman)

Both were level pull-thru spots. Oasis in Amarillo was fully paved.

Definitely stop at the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
DK gives you good advice above. I've traveled the same areas and drive at the same speeds. I take the bypass around el Paso but there is a long steep climb involved. One of the threads he mentions shows a bypass around the mountain that sounds good.

I remember when they put Transmountain (375) in, it's actually dug into the side of the mountain. We used to ride dirt bikes up there.

I would be very hesitant to pull a trailer over 375 and really there is no reason to. You can easily go north to 404 with no issues.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #9

As others have said watch the weather. Any storms going through, they tend to close I40 from Amarillo to Flagstaff (so plan on staying an extra night or 2 somewhere along the way). Plan for cold weather in Gallup (usually near 0 at night) [although this year has been a little warm]. Any snow on the roads will be slippery in and out of Albuquerque, around Gallup, and around Flagstaff. Nothing too bad climbing hills on I40 (when dry).
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
tootall1

Newbie Dallas to Las Vegas

I have the same trk and tt is coachmen 332rlds, a little longer and a little heavier.
I agree with NMWildcat except you will want to cross bridge and not dam. Later
when set up at CG go back to dam, a must see.
You are going to have a great trip and make a memory.
tootall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #11

I am in agreement with Cedarcreek. I20 to I10 on to Vegas. We are outside of Phoenix for the winter now. Easy pull, no bad weather forecast. We do I40, but only during the summer to early fall. Whatever you decision be careful.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Whiskey View Post
I am in agreement with Cedarcreek. I20 to I10 on to Vegas. We are outside of Phoenix for the winter now. Easy pull, no bad weather forecast. We do I40, but only during the summer to early fall. Whatever you decision be careful.
Either route you take will have some pulls to test you and your outfit. 93 from Phoenix to Kingman has some major, long, steep pulls, but during the winter is probably the best bet.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, newbie