Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Our Maiden Voyage

We are home from our month long first trip. Over all, we are thrilled with the 28 BH. The RV followed the truck like a puppy following its momma.

Driving was easy with only a few grey hair producing moments on unfamiliar highways. We learned how to hook and unhook quickly and got better/faster at it as we traveled.

I had to do a few quick fixes on the road as we traveled. The plastic gadget on the side where city water is hooked up is now brass after it broke off and gave me a probably needed, but unwanted shower during hook up.

We had to buy new tires after a blowout in Pine Bluff, AR. I considered this before we left, but was told by tech that it looked like they had more life in them.

We learned to put up the canopy with one side drooping after we had yet another unwanted shower at 4am in Mountain View Arkansas. And I left the soap inside.

Things I must check out now that we are home. I turned on the furnace (not the first time) and air came out, but not hot air. Hmmmmm It cycled off and on as if it has reached the proper temperature.

The refrigerator has a mind of its own. After moving down the road, the fridge would occasionally start in a day or two. Usually after all refrigerated food was either ruined or in an ice chest. We finally just hauled an ice chest in, put it under the fridge door and gave up on the fridge. Gotta figure that out.
The microwave turns on, but does not heat. That was easy to replace, but I have to mount it in the hole the old one is in. I expect a wiring job when that happens.

We both learned much. The RV is parked on its newly poured slab in the side yard. And we are ready to leave as soon as we can. I hope we can get out for weekends while the weather holds.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #2

Boy, it sounds like you all really had a rough maiden voyage! Did anything on your unit work well? How about the Concertone system? That surely had to have issues. How old is the camper? Did you check all of those systems out first BEFORE leaving for your maiden voyage, to become familiar with their operation, and verify their operating condition? I just think you had a LOT of issues/problems for just your first trip!! Oh, and the camper MUST be reasonably level, or the fridge won't work. Maybe that's why it worked some days, and not others. Good luck, and sorry to hear of all the problems. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Jan Goldfield

I thought we did pretty well for a first trip. The RV sat for a year before we bought it, so I expected some problems. There was really no way to find out what they were before they made themselves known. It was built in Dec 08 and sold to the first owner early in 09. He used it for two weeks. We bought it in this past spring - May 10.

I didn't try Concertone except to hear some cd's outdoors, so I can't report on that. What it did, it did fine.
TT was always reasonably level, often bubbles were right in the middle, so that was not the fridge problem.

I attribute most problems to operator error. And there is no way to anticipate that until you actually make the mistake.

All in all, we were both OK with the tt performance considering the newness of the operators. We had a great time, I know that.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote