Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
"On the road again"

Port Aransas, Texas - WARNING

We love Port Aransas and have been going there at least twice a year since 2006, and just finished a week there for the third and LAST time at Tropic Island RV Resort.

Anyone else headed to Port Aransas, I want to give you a warning. We booked our reservations about 4 weeks prior to arrival at a weekly rate of $180. Upon arrival, I was told I owed $235 for the week (plus electricity). When I insisted on speaking to the owner (Ken) - I've never been talked to so rudely and he explained that if I look at his website, I'll see that he has the right to change prices WITHOUT NOTICE. He assured me he had talked with his attorney and knew he was within his legal rights.

I tried to explain to him the difference between "legal" and "ethical" but it truly was like a foreign concept to him.

Not knowing what else was available on the island, we went ahead and paid and checked in paying the 30.5% hijacking increase.

It was Mother's Day weekend and one of our sons sent a Mother's Day card in care of the park to my wife. The card contained a $50 VISA Gift Card.

We stopped by the office on Tuesday to pick it up, and the young girl working there seemed to have no knowledge of the card...but she spent about 10 minutes half-heartedly looking around the office before declaring "Oh, I think I sent it back."

Pressed for further answers, she said "You said it was to Estha Shiflet and we don't have an Estha Shiflet here, just a Robert Shiflet - so I sent it back."

We checked again yesterday when we checked out and the girl still had the same stupid look on her face and said "I think I sent it back" but she had no recollection of what she wrote on the envelope. She finally decided she just wrote "Not here."

Tomorrow makes one week since she claims she "sent it back" and it still hasn't made it to my son's mailbox (we're all right here in Texas). Tomorrow is when we file a complaint with the US Postal Service and check with VISA to see if/where the card has been used.

We have no idea if the card and VISA Gift Card were truly sent back, lost or stolen - but one thing we do know is that stupidity abounds at Tropic Island RV Resort in Port Aransas.

So - fair warning - stay away.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Wow, sorry for this negative experience on Mother's Day, no less.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #3

If it was me I would leave a review of the campground here:
Port Aransas (Texas ) - Campground Reviews - RV Park Reviews
on Woodalls website (since they are associated with them) and any other website that is related to camping.
Looking at their website the only price for this amount $435.00 would be close to a monthly price. Yes they have the right to change prices. This sounds more like a bait and switch tactic and I am sure the Attorney Generals office in that state would have something to say about that.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Bummer, would guess the young lady got a $50 gift card. Wonder is she wrote a Thank You note to your son?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #5

I'd have to agree. Report them as it seems they are taking advantage of location and website prices....as you said, you were not sure of any other parks in area. They know that. Sorry for your situation.
demoore is offline   Reply With Quote