Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Moo

RandMcNally Trip Maker GPS for RVers

Greetings All,
Has anyone purchased and/or tried out the RandMcNally Trip Maker GPS for RVers? It seems a little pricey but the features sound interesting. Any feedback would be most appreciated.
Best regards,
Moo
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
MrT

Not here. I live by Garmin GPS, Google Maps, Bing Maps & AAA Trip Tik (free online by the way).

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
Moo

Well, I bought one. We liked the size, ease of use, mounting, calculator, and quick delivery. There are problems though. Hard as we tried to correct this, it selected routes that AVOIDED NATIONAL PARKS. This is a big glitch and Rand McNally was unable to correct the problem... must be a carryover from the trucking programs for which this unit was originally designed. Towns are not indicated on the screen... Where are we? It does have a note below that indicates then next town. We would prefer to see it on the map. Overall, we would give this a C+ or B- rating.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #4

In the GPS world, national parks fall under toll roads, try to enable toll roads to see if it will route you into and/or through the national park.

I too am a dedicated Garmin fan, I have used others and have been dissapointed by any except for the garmins
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

Looked at the RM model and ended up with a Denzi465T. It allows car,pedestrian,RV and truck. So you should be able to do anything you want with it. Much better than my 250W it replaces.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Greetings All,
Has anyone purchased and/or tried out the RandMcNally Trip Maker GPS for RVers?Moo
Jeez people, be really careful using these things. Know where you are going first, then look at the GPS route and make sure it follows the same route you actually intend to follow. We have had two deaths up here in Canada this year where people have followed the GPS to the letter and the roads they ended up on led to them getting lost and dying. There are basicly two mapping companies that sell their maps to Google, Garmin, and every other GPS company out there. I have personally sent in map corrections to each of these companies to correct roads in the area where I live and if you followed them you would be lost in no time. They were logging roads!! In BC a logging road will split and split and split again turn around and which way did you come up here? GPS shows one road! Navtronics made the corrections on their maps for the new sales. What about the older models? I know there are thousands of mistakes on these GPS maps. Another thought is the fact you don't want to be taking your rig through some city sleeze neighborhood with kids taking pot shots at your rigs tires.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
Jeez people, be really careful using these things. Know where you are going first, then look at the GPS route and make sure it follows the same route you actually intend to follow. We have had two deaths up here in Canada this year where people have followed the GPS to the letter and the roads they ended up on led to them getting lost and dying.
I am grossly too familiar with the deaths you are speaking of, I personally met the lady from Penticton after her and her husband were lost for 49 days, very sad situation and yet very happy as well that she was found.

A GPS should never replace a map, rather it is a great tool to augment a paper map, and they are pretty cool as well.

Great advice Bill C.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #8

GPS is like the internet, you can't always believe what see.
Steve38 is offline   Reply With Quote