Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
waybeck2018

Red River area of Minnesota

I read that the Red River was in flood stage a week or so ago. Does any one in the know if roads are okay or if the Grand Forks State Campground received any damage? Have a trip planned there soon. And yes, I did try to call the campground.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
WFD

The State campground there is still closed for season. Was scheduled to open May 3rd but that has been delayed to May 9 as per the MN State Parks website. I drove through that area this past Sunday. While the river has started to recede, it is still quite high. The campsites at its worse were all under water. While most aren't anymore, there is still lots of standing water everywhere. The roads in the park are a mess with mud everywhere. The sites are a mess also. I also noticed that all the electrical boxes on all the sites have been removed, I assume in anticipation of flood waters. So those all need to be reinstalled. They have quite a cleanup to do. Luckily restrooms and shower building are on raised ground and those appeared undamaged.
If I were a betting man I would think a May 9 opening seems like a stretch. But I am sure they will get in cleaned up and in shape. You won't get an answer calling them until such time as the park opens. When is your trip planned for?
Old 04-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
The State campground there is still closed for season. Was scheduled to open May 3rd but that has been delayed to May 9 as per the MN State Parks website. I drove through that area this past Sunday. While the river has started to recede, it is still quite high. The campsites at its worse were all under water. While most aren't anymore, there is still lots of standing water everywhere. The roads in the park are a mess with mud everywhere. The sites are a mess also. I also noticed that all the electrical boxes on all the sites have been removed, I assume in anticipation of flood waters. So those all need to be reinstalled. They have quite a cleanup to do. Luckily restrooms and shower building are on raised ground and those appeared undamaged.
If I were a betting man I would think a May 9 opening seems like a stretch. But I am sure they will get in cleaned up and in shape. You won't get an answer calling them until such time as the park opens. When is your trip planned for?

Thanks WFD! I sort of expected that situation based on following weather reports. We are scheduled there Late May but I wanted to plan ahead just in case. I am traveling US 2 from Michigan across to there and hope no other areas were seriously affected by this lousy and late season weather. THANKS AGAIN for the good information.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 PM   #4
WFD

I would think by late May you should be alright. They have a great staff at that park, and the city works with them a lot with regards to maintenance. They take a lot of pride in that park. The park is fully booked for the weekend of May 17-19 so I am thinking they will want it in shape for then. We camp there probably 3 or 4 times a year, we know the park well....unless things change you will probably get and answer by calling after May 9th.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybeck2018 View Post
I read that the Red River was in flood stage a week or so ago. Does any one in the know if roads are okay or if the Grand Forks State Campground received any damage? Have a trip planned there soon. And yes, I did try to call the campground.

Campground there was adequate but a bear to find, at least by my GPS. I got led across the bridge into North Dakota( DUE TO NO WAY TO TURN OFF ONCE THE BRIDGE CAME INTO VIEW) and lo and behold, massive road repairs there. A bit of skill and a bit of luck got me back into MInnesota and I simply guessed which way to go from there. I can say the attendant was not the friendliest young lady I met on this 14 daY TRIP.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
WFD

Any lasting effects from their flood or has most everything been cleaned up? And yes there has been a fair amount of construction around the bridge that crosses the MN/ND border...it has been on going for a couple years now.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Any lasting effects from their flood or has most everything been cleaned up? And yes there has been a fair amount of construction around the bridge that crosses the MN/ND border...it has been on going for a couple years now.

Other than grass knee high all seems to working well. Park had 25-30 campers when we were there. A better direction to park and more noticeable signage would certainly have helped and avoided that ND construction.