Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #1

Red River Gorge to Mammoth Cave

I’ll be pulling a 32 foot travel trailer from Red River Gorge to Mammoth Cave. Please provide some route suggestions and roads to stay away from. Also suggestions on trails to hike and bike and cave tours to take. Plus any extra fun things to do.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #2

From Red River take the Mountain Parkway north to I-64, then west to US Rt 127 near Lawerenceburg, KY, exit south on US 127 just a few miles south to pick up the Bluegrass Parkway (9002) west all the way to I-65 then south to Mammoth cave area.

On Rt 127 you pass very close to the Four Roses Distillery, their gift shop and their tour. Very picturesque. Call them for tour times.

On Bluegrass Parkway you will pass through Bardstown, KY. Very nice campground at My Old KY Home S Park. This is central to several large old distilleries in the area, including Heaven Hill, Willet, Barton among others less well known and newly open. Search Bourbon Trail for info. Heaven hill has a nice display area plus a tour.

While in Bardstown, eat at Mammy's for great meals/prices or the Old Talbot Tavern in town. Lots of historical museums in Bardstown. Usually on and off street parking for your truck and trailer if not there during festival ( fall ) times.

Closer to Mammoth Cave, try to get to the Whistle Stop Restaurant in Glendale, KY. They have won KY state BEST RESTAURANT honors several times. Always a treat. Not much parking there for a big rig.
Family Restaurant Kentucky | Whistle Stop Restuarnt KY

PM me for more specific info...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
From Red River take the Mountain Parkway north to I-64, then west to US Rt 127 near Lawerenceburg, KY, exit south on US 127 just a few miles south to pick up the Bluegrass Parkway (9002) west all the way to I-65 then south to Mammoth cave area.

On Rt 127 you pass very close to the Four Roses Distillery, their gift shop and their tour. Very picturesque. Call them for tour times.

On Bluegrass Parkway you will pass through Bardstown, KY. Very nice campground at My Old KY Home S Park. This is central to several large old distilleries in the area, including Heaven Hill, Willet, Barton among others less well known and newly open. Search Bourbon Trail for info. Heaven hill has a nice display area plus a tour.

While in Bardstown, eat at Mammy's for great meals/prices or the Old Talbot Tavern in town. Lots of historical museums in Bardstown. Usually on and off street parking for your truck and trailer if not there during festival ( fall ) times.

Closer to Mammoth Cave, try to get to the Whistle Stop Restaurant in Glendale, KY. They have won KY state BEST RESTAURANT honors several times. Always a treat. Not much parking there for a big rig.
Family Restaurant Kentucky | Whistle Stop Restuarnt KY

PM me for more specific info...

This is great! Thanks.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #4

There are great hiking trails at Red River Gorge and Mammoth Cave. Mammoth Cave also has some biking trails but unless you are a serious biker, Red River Gorge is tough for biking. Go to the ranger station at both places to get hiking maps. Red River Gorge is beautiful but is remote and many people wind up lost there by getting off the trails. Just last week 6 college students had to be rescued over night. Be careful.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Caves tours at Mammoth Cave, just make reservations in advance.
dnmatt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnmatt7 View Post
There are great hiking trails at Red River Gorge and Mammoth Cave. Mammoth Cave also has some biking trails but unless you are a serious biker, Red River Gorge is tough for biking. Go to the ranger station at both places to get hiking maps. Red River Gorge is beautiful but is remote and many people wind up lost there by getting off the trails. Just last week 6 college students had to be rescued over night. Be careful.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Caves tours at Mammoth Cave, just make reservations in advance.

Awesome. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #6

If you have never done a cave tour you might want to try the shorter one first. Hubby decided not to go at all. Good thing! I took the short tour which was a great intro to the experience. It was like when I first scuba dived. Your mind is telling you that you shouldnt be breathing yet you are! As we went deeper into the cave and further down I felt slightly the same. I can understand why someone might have a panic attack. They warn you that it is expensive if medical has to come to get you! Later we toured Cathederal Canerns which is an entirely diffrent experience. Enjoy your trip.
portliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #7

After those caves, go to Carlsbad Caverns for an awesome cave visit. If you go in that order you won't be so disappointed with KY caves
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #8

They don't call them Mammoth for no reason

Quote:
After those caves, go to Carlsbad Caverns for an awesome cave visit. If you go in that order you won't be so disappointed with KY caves
FROM WIKIPEDIA
Mammoth Cave National Park is an American national park in west-central Kentucky, encompassing portions of Mammoth Cave, the longest cave system known in the world.

Since the 1972 unification of Mammoth Cave with the even-longer system under Flint Ridge to the north, the official name of the system has been the Mammoth–Flint Ridge Cave System. The park was established as a national park on July 1, 1941, a World Heritage Site on October 27, 1981, and an international Biosphere Reserve on September 26, 1990.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by portliz View Post
If you have never done a cave tour you might want to try the shorter one first. Hubby decided not to go at all. Good thing! I took the short tour which was a great intro to the experience. It was like when I first scuba dived. Your mind is telling you that you shouldnt be breathing yet you are! As we went deeper into the cave and further down I felt slightly the same. I can understand why someone might have a panic attack. They warn you that it is expensive if medical has to come to get you! Later we toured Cathederal Canerns which is an entirely diffrent experience. Enjoy your trip.

Awesome. Thanks for the important tip.