Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #1

Reserve America lost Illinois too

I saw the thread about Florida not using RA anymore but I missed the one about Illinois also cutting ties with RA. Yeah, Illinois is such a popular camping destination. I have to cancel a reservation and so far no luck. Now they told me to call the campground? Wish me luck. Today is July 5 - end of holiday week-end. I'm not even going to try until tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

I can't blame the States for switching to their own reservation systems. Why should they pay RA for what a simple website can do for them and they get the $$.
I've used RA for years and still do, but the States will do what's best for them.
I only don't like having many different log ins with many different sites, but I still love camping and will do what I have to.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #3

LOL! We love camping and lived in IL for 4 years. Went camping ONCE and it was hot and miserable...
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:25 AM   #4

I like to travel through Illinois to get a glimpse of the high, high gas prices. Makes me think what will happen when we all go electric and the taxes collected from gas and diesel dries up. No more highway improvements?

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:07 AM   #5
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton04 View Post
I like to travel through Illinois to get a glimpse of the high, high gas prices. Makes me think what will happen when we all go electric and the taxes collected from gas and diesel dries up. No more highway improvements?

They'll figure out something for sure. One proposal I've heard is taxing electric car owners on a per mile driven basis.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
LOL! We love camping and lived in IL for 4 years. Went camping ONCE and it was hot and miserable...
You must've gone camping on one of the 4 or 5 days of the year where we actually get temps above 90.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
You must've gone camping on one of the 4 or 5 days of the year where we actually get temps above 90.
We lived about 50 miles east of St. Lou. Most of our summers was spent over 90 and humid. Not my cup-o-tea!
Old 07-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton04 View Post
Probably won't happen in our lifetime. Most of us will never see this as first the electric vehicles have to be developed and produced with same range and capabilities as "oil burners".

Second, the life of a vehicle is such that it will take 20 or more years to replace the fossil fuel burners, maybe event twice that as it will be more economical to rebuild that old car/truck than buy a new EV.

As for "taxing EV's and pay by mile revenue schemes, they're already here. I pay an EV fee every year when renewing my "tabs". Also tolls are being added to roads and bridges.

I actually believe a "pay by mile" scheme would be cheaper for me and also provide a more reliable source of income. This way a vehicle getting 40 mpg would actually pay a fair share for the space they take up on the highways versus laying all the tax burden on those who need to burn more fuel in order to haul their trailers, etc. When I tow my trailer down the highway I'm essentially paying 5 times the amount a compact car pays and only take up three times the space.

As for "Reserve America", I think that States should all run their own reservation service and put the money into the parks instead of going into RA's revenue stream and nothing going into the parks (other than the nightly fee).

Over the years the parks have taken bigger hits than the highway system and many around where I live are about two seasons away from being totally reclaimed by nature.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I actually believe a "pay by mile" scheme would be cheaper for me and also provide a more reliable source of income. This way a vehicle getting 40 mpg would actually pay a fair share for the space they take up on the highways versus laying all the tax burden on those who need to burn more fuel in order to haul their trailers, etc. When I tow my trailer down the highway I'm essentially paying 5 times the amount a compact car pays and only take up three times the space.
I see your point here and I feel your pain... But you also have to consider the wear and tear on the highway from a vehicle pulling a trailer is greater than a compact car. So there is some fairness for paying more for taxing based on weight.

However, I do think a "per mile" basis would be a good idea. I mean, I'm paying the same amount for the tags on my trailer that sees maybe 3,000 miles a year, vs the guy who drags his around daily it it sees 20k+
Old 07-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
I see your point here and I feel your pain... But you also have to consider the wear and tear on the highway from a vehicle pulling a trailer is greater than a compact car. So there is some fairness for paying more for taxing based on weight.

However, I do think a "per mile" basis would be a good idea. I mean, I'm paying the same amount for the tags on my trailer that sees maybe 3,000 miles a year, vs the guy who drags his around daily it it sees 20k+
In our State Pickup Trucks (as well as all it's big brothers) are "taxed" on the basis of weight as well as paying the gas tax. Registration carries a licensing fee and a "tonnage" fee that varies by weight class. Heavier you are, the higher the fee.

The state has all their possible revenue sources well covered, except the pay by mile. I think they're afraid some drivers may end up paying less.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I think they're afraid some drivers may end up paying less.
I think you nailed it...