Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #1

Route from Kansas City Area to Franklin NC

Has anyone traveled to Franklin NC from the Kansas City area?If so what types of roads would a person encounter getting into Franklin? I will be traveling with a 30' TT. If so are there a lot of steep grades and sharp corners and what are the condition of the roads?

Thanks
Wildwood Danny
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #2

It depends what you are looking to do but I lived in Atlanta for 23 years and made the drive between KC and Atlanta often. Since Franklin is just south of Nashville it would be the same route (all interstate highways) from here (I live in Harrisonville, MO) to Nashville and then 65 south.

I don't remember all the Interstate numbers but grab the Atlas and you will see them easily. I-70 to St. Louis, I-64 to Mt. Vernon, IL; I-57 south until you get to I-24 (I believe that is Cario, IL) and southeast to Paducah, KY. Great camping at Land between the Lakes. I-24 all the way into Nashville. Good highways, no major elevation changes--actually kind of boring but quickest way. Just time it to miss St. Louis rush hour.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #3

I have never driven that route but lived in the Franklin are for many years. With a 30' trailer I would recommend you avoid 441 b/w Gatlinburg, tn and Cherokee, nc as this is a national park with some steep ( though short usually) grades and some hairpin turns. If you come across 40, go through , nc (exit 27). 4 lanes to Franklin, with 2 passes to climb and they are not a problem with your 2500.

If you go toward Atlanta, go 85 north to 985 north.! It will basically turn into 441 north and that is a direct shot into Franklin with a pretty easy climb.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #4

I misread your post. I gave you directions to Franklin, TN. Sorry.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

Last month I made the trip from Saint Joseph, MO to the Waynesville, NC area to stay in a campground at Balsam, NC for a week which is just west of Waynesville.

We went across I-70 and crossed the Miss. River downtown going, but I would recommend going around on the North bypass of I-270 to avoid alot of rough roads in downtown St. Louis. I came back by the way of I-270.

After crossing the Miss. River go to I-255 South to I-64. Take I-64 to I-57 South which then takes you to I-24 into Ky. and TN. Take I-40 East out of Nashville to East of Knoxville, TN and go South on I-40 towards Asheville, NC. When you go South on I-40 after I-81 goes Northeast it will be all downhill with restrictions on speed for 18 wheelers. It is a very pretty area, but watch out for 35 and 45 mph corners. They mean it!

After getting into NC take 74/23 West back towards Waynesville and on to 441 to your destination. I do not know about 441 South into Franklin, but to the North towards Cherokee it was a good road.

We stayed at Moonshine Creek Campground at Balsam, NC. Lots of hills, but manageable. Just anticipate the ups and downs. We spent a lot of time in Smokey Mountain National Park. We avoided the busy side of Gatlinburg, but in reality we spent to much time driving to and from the park.

I have a Ford Excursion pulling a 3008W Windjammer which is 35 ft long making a total of almost 55 ft long overall between both vehicles. I had no problems with the roads. Just the normal some smoother and some rougher. It was right at 990 miles into our campground and took right at 16 hours with all the stops. I had 4 adults and a 18 month old grandson.

We came back through Chattanooga,TN on 74 West and then I-24 North back to Nashville. You will go through two stretches of 2 lane road this way with two gorges. Only problem I was warned about was the rafter buses through those gorges. I did not have any problems though with them. It was also about 40 miles shorter going this way, but if time is of importance go the I-40 way. It is alot quicker.

I see your TV is a diesel also. Take cash and take advantage of the .07 cents or more discount for fuel. Fuel will vary by .30 cents within 12 miles at truck stops. Any questions, just ask.
2021 Forest River Riverstone 37FLTH

mike2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #6

If your looking for a good place to stay on the way. I would recommend Whittington Woods campground in Whittington, Il. It is just East of I-57 and 154. Then turn South on 37 to the campground.

It is about 7 to 8 hours from KC. We stayed there both going and coming back. New owners have been doing alot to fix it up and it is very nice along with the owners being very helpful.
2021 Forest River Riverstone 37FLTH

mike2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. I have used it to make some adjustments in my trip plan.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote