Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2022, 10:05 PM   #1

RV Trip Wizard issues

We are on a late spring 2022 trip to Oregon from Florida. I typically use Google Maps daily. For this RV trip in our 33 foot Winnebago Adventurer with Jeep Wrangler Toad, I have tried using RV Trip Wizard. It quits frequently on the drive. Today I selected directions from St Louis, Mo to Nebraska City, NE. It chose a long, convoluted route that would have added 2 hours and 5 minutes to our 4 hour trip. We chose to ignore Trip Wizard and drove with Google Maps without incident. This is the second time it added significant time to our planned trip and we abandoned its use for Google Maps or Apple Maps. I am wondering if there are others who have these problems or I am doing something wrong? I pay extra because I wanted to be safe.
kmaltais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:04 PM   #2

I haven't used Trip Wizard in some time. I'd check you settings to see if it's doing rv routing, standard routing or avoiding highways.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:55 AM   #3

Go into your trip settings and check the route tab. Make sure you are not turning off certain types of roads.ie, interstate, toll, etc..

Also,contact RVtripwizard support on the site. They are quick to get back with you..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:17 AM   #4

TripWizard has a support forum on iRV2.com. Both are owned by Social Knowledge, owners of this web site.

We use it on a laptop for trip planning. The phone app is useful for referencing stored information. A recent update improved navigation app performance on Android.

As with any GPS route, review it with skepticism and adjust as you see fit. On the laptop app, it will give you warnings if your adjusted route violates any rules you set like avoiding dirt roads, bridge clearances, etc.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:11 AM   #5

Every once in a while it does something weird like that with no good reason that I can see. I import the routes into Garmin Basecamp so I can load them into my GPS and Basecamp sometimes does the same sort of weird things, all of the mapping software I have used does this at some point. You just have to review the routes and make changes or add waypoints as necessary to get it to go where you want or you can just ignore it for a while and eventually the GPS will recalculate and find the route you are on.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaltais View Post
Today I selected directions from St Louis, Mo to Nebraska City, NE. It chose a long, convoluted route that would have added 2 hours and 5 minutes to our 4 hour trip.
Frankly, I'd like to understand how fast you're driving if you plan to get from St Louis, Mo to Nebraska City, NE. in 4 hours. On a good day, in a fast car, Kansas City, KS is about four hours, and Nebraska City is 2 hours north of KC.

-----------

This is the difference with algorithm-based mapping: It doesn't necessarily provide the best route, just applies its math to the problem of how to get from one place to another. When the algorithm hits something odd, there's a chance of getting a wonky decision out of it. When there's a weird angle involved (like the BIG right hand turn that you've got to make in Kansas City), one algorithm might suggest sending you via the SHORTEST route (which would be some sort of strange skittering trip across MO in a direct line to Nebraska City, NE - the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by STL-KC-NE path) and another might want to send you the FASTEST route (which would, at that distance, be straight across 70 and up 29). A hybrid approach that takes into account the route, and figures for the most efficient path is likely the best way to plan... and that involves reviewing routes suggested by different mapping algorithms.

Far too often, Google and Waze both have routed me via some odd directions, that no human would suggest. However, Google and Waze have also both made some real smart decisions, too, with routing information not necessarily immediately available to a human reviewer.

I don't know what service provides the routing for the Trip Wizard, but - once any algorithm provides a route - I know to review it. (Like you wisely did).

I'd suggest that Trip Wizard may have been favoring "shortest distance" for some reason. Or, a filter or a criteria you plugged in directed the terms of the route. Maybe review the details you used (eg, a simple " to ' typo on how tall your rig is could make RV Wizard avoid ALL bridges and overpasses).

Even Google will provide some alternates for consideration, though - at first blush - it looks like RV Wizard is matching it for the overall trip:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.02.23 AM.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	273518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 9.05.11 AM.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	273519  
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:07 PM   #7

RV Life usage

I'm about the embark on a 30 day cross country trip and I built the entire thing in RV Trip Wizard. This is good to know as I wondered how accurate the GPS would be. I'll advise if I find out different but I agree with most here, I intend to launch it and Google Maps to review everything before heading out for the day.

Mike

2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2400R
Mike.rose00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:38 PM   #8

Good and Bad

I've been using RV Life GPS (I think it's the same) on a limited basis since I added a toad to my Class C. I dread getting stuck somewhere with low overhead and having to unhook the toad to turn around.

I most cases (for me) I find the "estimated trip time" is at least 1.3 times longer than Google Maps, even if the miles are close (<25 miles).

In general, for mainstream highways I use Google Maps or Waze. But I travel a lot off mainstream areas and in those cases if the overall distance (miles) is within 25miles of Google Maps I'll use RV Life GPS since it offers low clearance routing (my biggest concern).

No perfect system, unfortunately (unless maybe truck apps which I haven't tried).

No recommendations, just how I'm currently managing trips. Best of luck, safe travels and happy trails.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
rb_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb_wingman View Post
I most cases (for me) I find the "estimated trip time" is at least 1.3 times longer than Google Maps, even if the miles are close (<25 miles).
Good reminder that Google ISN'T taking into consideration that you're traveling at RV/trailer speeds, whereas RV Wizard is.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:50 PM   #10

That actually mimics my trip planning math. I always take how long google says it will take and multiply it by 1.25. It doesn't matter how many bathroom, fuel, or food stops we make....we've always arrived within 15 minutes of my adjusted time.
hinkle_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkle_e View Post
That actually mimics my trip planning math. I always take how long google says it will take and multiply it by 1.25. It doesn't matter how many bathroom, fuel, or food stops we make....we've always arrived within 15 minutes of my adjusted time.
In the settings on RVTW you have options to select the calculated speed used by who’s software you are using. Google Maps uses interstate speeds.

There is also an option to enter what your usual Average MPH are. I have found for us pulling a 5th wheel is about 50mph avg. I’ve found this to be true over many, many trips.

If you enter that in the driving setting when you setup a trip your trip list will calculate the time between legs using that number.

Now, if you use the RVLIFE app and select goggle maps the time will be google time but if your select the RVLIFE route the time will be based on your avg speed that you entered. 50mph is a very close average speed.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:08 PM   #12

Ditto dallied

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Go into your trip settings and check the route tab. Make sure you are not turning off certain types of roads.ie, interstate, toll, etc..

Also,contact RVtripwizard support on the site. They are quick to get back with you..

Ditto dalford’s comments. I sent them a question today about a routing snafu, and they responded within two hours. Pretty good service, I’d say.

Check your settings. I had “no tunnels” selected and it added about 100 miles. When I changed the setting and routing the mileage didn’t update. They told me how to fix it and it took no time at all. Good luck.
kermitvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #13

GPS

We use a regular Garmin GPS. Never steers us wrong as long as I ask it politely and correctly. And my driving husband can see the map route clearly as it sits on the dash. We did upgrade last year to a larger size with a clearer screen. Took us to Montana through northern Michigan and down into the Black Hills and Badlands and back home without a glitch.
jeanniemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:04 PM   #14

I have used RV Wizard on previous cross-country trips. Normally, no problems as it ensures you travel based on pre-entered specifications for your RV. The mapping to me has been pretty good and I like the laid out gas and rest stops it provides (again) based on what you provide for the trip and what you desire. Unfortunately, it can't provide up to the minute changes that may be needed, i.e. accidents on Interstates, bypasses to get around troubled areas, etc. For that I have a secondary iPhone maps active routing at all times as it has saved our butts numerous times in getting around huge traffic stoppages on I10, I95, I40, you get the idea. The RV Wizard to me is worth it and I will continue to use it especially for pre-planning trips. I always use secondary backup solutions as needed especially in highly congested and urban areas whether they are needed or not. It comes with the plan and is not a problem but an asset.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.rose00 View Post
I'm about the embark on a 30 day cross country trip and I built the entire thing in RV Trip Wizard. This is good to know as I wondered how accurate the GPS would be. I'll advise if I find out different but I agree with most here, I intend to launch it and Google Maps to review everything before heading out for the day.

Mike

2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2400R
If following a Trip Wizard plan, the Android phone app offers the choice of following the Trip Wizard route exactly, or reevaluating on its own, which does include safe RV route considerations. I believe the "exact" routing approach includes waypoints you may have added in Trip Wizard to force certain routes. The second does not, as far as I know. It simply calculates a route from your present location to your destination.

The Android phone app also allows choosing a car route rather than an RV safe route but, if you're going to do that, why bother with the phone app at all? Just use Google Maps, Waze or whatever your preferred map app is.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:31 PM   #16
Fla5er

We always back up our GPS with an Atlas of the U.S. It's a pain to switch from one page to another but it does give us more confidence in our travels and it usually backs up what the GPS is giving us: one time my wife found a 'quicker' route that took us on to a cow path! Since then we've backed it up with a paper map.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:27 PM   #17

I think for your issue you probably told it to avoid highways or something like that. I have an 80+ day trip planned and where it does seem to want me to take a route I don’t want to I put an extra point on the map that takes me where I want to go. These tools are to assist us with planning our trips. It is still up to us to make sure it is where we want to go.

Good luck with your trip.
JoePa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:47 PM   #18

RV Trip/RV Life

I have used RV Trip Wizard for over 5 years. We love the features, but ever since Camper World/ RV Life bought it out alone w/ Campsite REview, we have noticed campsites that are not Good Sam not showing up. I know they are there and my requirements are set properly.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Good reminder that Google ISN'T taking into consideration that you're traveling at RV/trailer speeds, whereas RV Wizard is.
I use Waze all the time but would never use it for my sole route while towing. I did that once in New York and nearly lost the top of the fifth wheel. I use both now on two phones and compare. I had the problem of tripwizard redoing the route and making it longer before but not lately. It seems to be working well now. I use it all the time. We travel full-time and I find Trip Wizard very helpful.
Jim Legoullon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:30 PM   #20

I started using Roadtrippers for general trip planning and Togo RV for RV safe navigation while towing. When it came up for renewal I tried RV Life GPS for navigation. Our experience during this trial was so bad I turned it off and used Google Maps for the last few miles. As always I had reviewed the route ahead of time that ---while I did not have the trip memorized --- I knew what to expect and DW had her finger on our route in her atlas.
I wrote customer support with a list of problems and they stunned me by acknowledging that they were are of those issues yet released that version to unknowing drivers.
I renewed with Togo RV for navigation although Trip Wizard may be better for general trip planning.
Bottom line review routing before getting underway with a least two apps and/or a paper map.
59 Campgrounds in 2023
Robertsmusings is offline   Reply With Quote