Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #1

Safety

We are having a week long family reunion in the Black Hills in July and for my husband and I according to map quest it is a minimum 12 hr drive. We are thinking of leaving late afternoon after work and driving about 4 hours to Sioux Falls SD the first night, maybe pulling over to sleep a few hours. Wondering if rest areas are a safe place to pull into at night to catch maybe 4 hours or so of sleep. DH likes the idea of driving in the cooler hours of the night. What are others thoughts on this?

Proud owner of a 2015 Sabre 33RET S-6, Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Denise S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #2

My self i don't like sleeping in rest area's. I always try and find a WallMart. less noise and I feel it is safer. Wallmart allows travelers to spend the night in the parking lots.
DoubleClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:12 AM   #3

We thought about that. The reason we wondered about the rest area is that we didn't really have to get off the interstate, but if it isn't safe, maybe then it's better to find the walmart

Proud owner of a 2015 Sabre 33RET S-6, Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Denise S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #4

We are in the south US, but we made reservations at an RV park that is adjacent to the interstate for our overnight stop in a few weeks. Well worth twenty bucks or so for electricity and peace of mind.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #5

I drove Semi for 33 years and 99% of the time I will find a WallMart cause I don't like Rest Areas and truck stops. I like it quiet when I want to sleep.
DoubleClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

We are doing that trip right now. We drove from CT to SD. On the way we had a couple of warranty issues taken care of by Rave RV. Awsome people. Henry Sears of Forest River put us in contact with them. Anyway after having these issues taken care of, we hit the road. We should have stayed there for the night but thought we could find a site on the road. The next suitable location was in lima / peru IL KOA. We stayed at the Sioux Falls KOA for a few nights. Was ok since it met our needs. Then to Custer State Park. We stayed at the Game Lodge Camp Ground. Great! Lots of room between sites. Electric only. We were close enough to the water faucet to run a hose to top off tanks if needed. Facility has hot showers and clean restrooms.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Nice! Great news you are having a safe trip! We do the same, electric meets our needs and close to water to top off. Enjoy
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

I stayed in a rest area next to the Interstate one time. Never again. Trucks coming and going all night long, some let their engines idle all night, not restful at all!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #9

We are making the trip out there mid July I use a app called RV Parky, has all the walmarts, cracker barrels, pilot/fj and campgrounds. I use it on the go, it will give you the mileage to each from your location.Great app and also is a web site.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety