Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

SE Oklahoma camping

On our way home from the Waltz Across Texas rally, we would like to explore southeast Oklahoma.
Curious about any state park or COE camping sites that others have liked. We are looking at COE around Sardis Lake, Clayton Lake St Pk, Talimena St Pk. The Ouachita National Forest seems like it would be a pretty place to explore.

Then headed through northwest AR.

Any suggestions for these Hoosiers?

Thank you.

Don/Anita
Greenwood, IN
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Do you plan to stay in North west Arkansas any length of time?

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #3

We will spend 3 or 4 days in NW AR. Want to see some Ozark Mt area. We have also heard about Crystal Bridges?Museum near Bentonville. We were told to go there.
2414 Blue Ridge Drive
Greenwood, In 46143
darhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #4

I did some exploring around southeast OK, we ended up staying at Queen Wilhelmina just 5 miles into Arkansas along the Talimena Hwy.
Which is a must see drive: take OK Hwy 1 (AKA-Talimena Scenic Drive) from Talimena OK headed east toward Mena AR. Probably the best most scenic hwy you will find in the south!
http://www.talimenascenicdrive.com/i...ide/the-drive/

Just after you cross the state line another 5+ miles you will find the second highest point in AR.

Its about 15 miles to Mena if you need a walmart for supplies. The camp ground is a state park I think we paid $18 for a site with discount for 65+ if you qualify (note it is elec and water) but they have a dump station. Very nice park kinda small but nice.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&ved=0CJsBEPwS

Queen Wilhelmina State Park - Arkansas State Parks

If you decided to go a little further east before going north - I have stayed at Degray Lake just southwest of Hot Springs. That was nice I got a spot right on the lake.
Arkansas Camping - Yurts in Arkansas - Lake DeGray Camping

After that going north in AR Mount Magazine is another nice state park on your way up the state - its about 30 min south of I-40 it has full hookups.
Arkansas State Parks Camping - Blue Mountain Lake Campground - Mount Magazine

If you were planning to visit Eureka Springs area ( not far from Bentonville)- we stayed at Withrow Springs - AR state park which again is one of the few state parks with sewer hookups at the camp sites and it was close to everything.
Fishing & river float trips popular at Withrow Springs State Park in NW Arkansas - Arkansas State Parks

Scroll down this site for the map of parks with links.
Map of Arkansas - Arkansas State Map - Arkansas State Parks

Anyway wish I had better recon on OK for you! Hope you have a good time in AR - Note another cold blast heading your way about Tuesday/Wednesday good luck.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #5

At sardis we stay at potato hills coe, lake clayton is beautiful worth a look but would not camp here too tight and we have a 23 ft trailer! Cedar lake is a great forest service place to stay and do talimena drive.

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

We like Beavers Bend State Park in SE Oklahoma and stayed at Withrow State Park in NW Arkansas last year. Close to Eureka Springs and the Crystal Bridges Museum is a must. Bentonville worth a visit.
dandsmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Crater of Diamonds State Park near Murfreesboro, AR is worth a stop. Good campground there, and you might just get lucky and find a diamond. Maybe the one we (obviously) passed over.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

We stayed at a cabin in Poteau, ok, the end of september, while looking at new 5ers over there at a dealer. The cabins were on long lake, a small little lake that was beautiful and they also had about 20 camp sites that I believe were full hookup.
Google Long Lake Resort, not the most informitive site but its better than what im saying.

We took the kids fishing, and the cabins were VERY nice, and the whole place was beautiful and peaceful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1390711053802.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	45394  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #9

Look into Mt. Magazine SP in NW Arkansas. Highest point in Arkansas nice camp ground with hiking trails. We were there last year in March and it snowed on us two days. The road up from the local town not too bad, we made it in a 38' motorhome no problems.
Texas Bohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #10

X2 on Queen Wilhemena. Eastern approach is curvier. (Is that a word?)
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandsmcd View Post
We like Beavers Bend State Park in SE Oklahoma and stayed at Withrow State Park in NW Arkansas last year. Close to Eureka Springs and the Crystal Bridges Museum is a must. Bentonville worth a visit.
My brother loved beavers bend. Wildlife, fishing g and hiking trails. I haven't been yet.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
My brother loved beavers bend. Wildlife, fishing g and hiking trails. I haven't been yet.
If you are going to visit Bentonville you have to check out the Wal-Mart Museum. It is just kind of interesting.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Bohunk View Post
Look into Mt. Magazine SP in NW Arkansas. Highest point in Arkansas nice camp ground with hiking trails. We were there last year in March and it snowed on us two days. The road up from the local town not too bad, we made it in a 38' motorhome no problems.
10/4 on that - approach from the north is fairly easy - but the road in from south is STEEP & CURVIER also
Old 02-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #14

I would highly recommend Lake Broken Bow in SE Oklahoma. There are several nice campgrounds around Hoochatown. We have been going there every year for several years.
srbibilee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping